Access to the DRLs and Turn Signals
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Access to the DRLs and Turn Signals in Cadillac SRX Forums; For those of you that are interested in changing your DRLs and Turn Signals, here is a walk through that ...
    rtsittner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD in Graphite Metallic

Access to the DRLs and Turn Signals

For those of you that are interested in changing your DRLs and Turn Signals, here is a walk through that worked for me, but may be completely wrong...

I had the intent to take pictures to post them up here as I did with my HID Fog Light install, but my son was not available and I was too involved with the removal process to stop and take pictures.

1 - Disconnect the battery
    2 - Remove the cover from the Fuse Box
    3 - Remove the upper portion of the Fuse Box from the electrical bus

To do this, un-screw the 3x bolts (10mm I believe) that are in amongst the fuses (they do not come out). In addition to the bolts there are 4x plastic tabs on outside wall of the fuse box. Slip a small flat-blade screwdriver into the slot from above, and GENTLY pry open the tab. Pull up on the fuse box slightly to allow the small post to slide past the notch in the tab. Repeat this for all four tabs. NOTE: the two on the engine side of the box are relatively easy to reach. The two on the outboard side are not, especially the forward one. I had to use a telescoping mirror and a dental pick with a curved point. When the tabs have been released, rock the fuse box upwards and it will pull free from the electrical bus. The fuse box remains connected to the wiring loom, but can be laid back towards the windshield to get it out of the way.

4 - There are three electrical bus blocks that are revealed when the fuse box is removed. They are not secured to anything. The blocks can be moved and twisted and the wire looms pulled to the side to free them from the base. Simply move them out of the way.
    5 - The base of the whole electrical center is held in place with a single bolt (i don't recall the size). Remove the bolt and lift the base out of the way.

NOW you have access to the top cap at the back of the light assembly

6 - Unscrew and remove the cap.
    7- The there is an extension handle attached to the base of the DRL to make the replacement easier (go figure - nothing has been easy so far). Twist the handle to release the light from the housing and pull it out through the hole.
    8 - Replace the bulb.

Reverse the process to put things back together.

Here are a couple of observations...

When assembling the fuse box to the electrical bus housing, make sure that the bus blocks are seated properly. Since the base of the fuse box plugs directly into them, any mis-alignment will prevent the fuse box from connecting. If the bolts do not tighten and just spin freely, the box is not seated properly.

After the assembly was complete, my SRX did not recognize my remote. I followed the instructions for a remote with a low battery and placed it in the Transmitter Pocket at base of the center console and it started right up.

THIS IS A PAIN IN THE @$$!!! And the manual is a joke with regards to what is required (Simply open the hood and remove the electrical center cover!)

Having done it once, I know I can do it again, but I am not too keen on it now. It's just not worth it IMO...

FWIW

Randy

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

Re: Access to the DRLs and Turn Signals

Indeed. I talked to a tech friend last night and he figures it's anchored with a bolt from the inside of the fender (at the back of the centre), then you just need to pull it up and slide it out of the way. I have not confirmed this as i am really sick and don't want to move... =(

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

Tell me why in the "hell" you would go through all that just to change the color of some bulbs???? I don't get it!!!!!!

Likely

Because it makes yours and mine different. Subtle, yet noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Likely View Post
    Tell me why in the "hell" you would go through all that just to change the color of some bulbs???? I don't get it!!!!!!

Likely
    Believe me... I was not expecting it to be as difficult as it was. Even more so when the instructions in the Owner's Manual make it seem so straight forward. But as I got into it, the whole project gained its own momentum and it became a quest.

Randy

Ok buddy, i just did this all today. Twice, because i failed to check polarity on the drivers side LED. *facepalm*

So i have pics, but i am going to stress one thing, THE BATTERY HAS TO COME OUT!

7 MM
    10 MM
    13 MM sockets required

Flathead screwdriver

So, from the top, disconnect the battery. AND REMOVE!

Three screws IN the Electrical Centre need NOT BE REMOVED, OR EVEN LOOSENED.

Once the Battery is out of the way, flathead screwdriver to pop all the clips to get the fuse centre to come out. (Partly removed)
    This reveals a 13 MM screw to remove for further movement of the electrical centre.

Now that the screw is out of the way, you can fight with the bottom portion to free it out of that hole (pull towards the rear of the vehicle), and free up what is hopefully enough room for you to get your big mitt in there and access the DRL's and turn signals!

Reverse for putting back in.

THANKS SO MUCH TO CADILLAC CANADA for NO CHARGE SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE! (That's just something i wanted to add in. Even though it wouldn't be no charge if i got them to put in my LED's.)

Great write up, Captain. There were a couple of times during my install that I was tempted to take the battery out, but I forged ahead with it still in the way.

Thanks for polishing up the procedure!

Randy

Nice, i tried for an hour to do it with the battery in the way on mine, but it just wasn't happening.

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

HEY GUYS!!!!! I can see electrical problems "BREWING"!!!!!

The SRX already has electrical problems, without modifications..........

Likely

Quote Originally Posted by Likely View Post
    HEY GUYS!!!!! I can see electrical problems "BREWING"!!!!!

The SRX already has electrical problems, without modifications..........

Likely
    ... some people's do. Others' don't.

Besides, if one brews up, i can (hopefully) hunt it down pretty fast.

garytexas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS, 2010 SRX Prem

Hey,swapped out the stock bulbs with Silverstars. Passenger side.... no problem. Driver side... not for the faint of heart. For anyone doing it, there is good info above. Pull the battery, battery tray, loosen the 4 plastic clips around the fuse power center, reach down and pull the wire loom clamp studs out of their holes to give slack to the power center, it will then fold towards the center of the engine compartment, pull the single bolt now revealed that is in the base under the power center and slide it rearward to disengage the base and it pulls completely out. You can now get to the cap over the DRL on the driver side, unscrew it and grab the built in extension on the DRL. Very important..... you will be very sad if you get this all put back together and notice the DRL cover cap still laying there on the radiator cover. Go for it!powr_cntr.jpg

Nice work Gary. How do the Silverstars look? I really did not like the yellow appearance of the incandescent DRLs. That is why I changed to LEDs.

Randy

daddie2k3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Performance

so i tried this mod today and of course i got the pass side in but the driver was a no go....i got battery out and top of fuse box and even got my hand in there and took off the cap but when i went to unscrew the bulb holder it popped and came out without the bulb....so i thought i broke it was pissed a figured i will just have to buy a new bulb holder and get dealer to install the bulb BUT the bulb still works....so what did i do?

daddie2k3 - the "holder" as you describe it was attached to base of the DRL bulb to make it easier to remove (easy being a relative term - it is still a PITA to do). The holder is designed to come off. When the bulb is replaced, the holder is clipped on to the new bulb and the whole assembly is put back into the light housing.

Good luck!

Randy

daddie2k3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Performance

Yea I understand that based off the pass side because I was successful on that side but the holder came out or off and bulb is still in on driver side

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.