cracked windshield
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, cracked windshield in Cadillac SRX Forums; So I get in my SRX yesterday around noon and start to back it out of the garage when I ...
    retgi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

cracked windshield

So I get in my SRX yesterday around noon and start to back it out of the garage when I noticed a large crack on the driver's side that starts from the left edge about a foot up from the bottom and extends across the windshield about twenty inches. Everything was fine when I parked it the previous evening.
    No one else lives in the house other than the wife and she rarely ever drives it and prefers her Miata. There are no chips from rocks and I didn't hit anything or hear anything hit the windshield when I drove it last. So what the heck is with that? Taking it straight to the dealer in the morning!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: cracked windshield

Be sure to replace it with a genuine Cadillac OEM windshield, and not just an OEM "equivalent". The windshield, driver's window and front passenger's window are made from a special acoustically dampened glass to block out exterior noise. OEM equivalent glass may fit perfectly, but not possess the sound dampening properties of the original windshield.

Sube
    Marc NY and Marc NY like this.

NNNNOBJECT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

We had a very similar windshield crack. It started near the edge of the glass on the driver's side about 1/2 of the way up the windshield- directly in your line of vision. Over the next week it spread well into the passenger side. My wife drives it and did not notice any stone or anything hitting the windshield, but the crack occurred in February when we had a lot of snow and the roads were being treated daily with salt and ash. We discovered it in the garage one morning. There wasn't really a chip anywhere- just the crack. I assumed something must have hit the glass and the low Feb. temperatures exacerbated the crack's progress across the windshield.

My insurance company (USAA) approved the OEM glass without a problem because there was no aftermarket glass available through Safelight at that time. The glass had to be ordered by the dealer and then installed by an auto glass company. The only question they had was whether the car had rainsensing wipers or not.

Hopefully there is still no after-market glass available and you can get the OEM without a fight.

This concerns me. I will be keeping a close eye on mine. Maybe the special glass that they use is more delicate.

Sube

Bee iLL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Raven Black STS-V, 2010 Radiant Silver SRX Premium 2.8T

Probably a manufacturing defect. Since they were selling these cars faster than they could produce them, quality control probably suffered. The STS was notorious for having the rear window actually shatter while parked, so be glad it is only a crack.

Quote Originally Posted by NNNNOBJECT View Post
    My insurance company (USAA) approved the OEM glass without a problem because there was no aftermarket glass available through Safelight at that time.
    It's probably too late to say anything now, but I don't know if this should be going through your insurance company. That implies it was accidentally or intentionally "damaged". Based on your description, that wasn't the case here. This sounds like a manufacturing defect, which should constitute a warranty replacement.

Sube

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    It's probably too late to say anything now, but I don't know if this should be going through your insurance company. That implies it was accidentally or intentionally "damaged". Based on your description, that wasn't the case here. This sounds like a manufacturing defect, which should constitute a warranty replacement.

Sube
    You're right about that! When I called the dealer they said to call a glass co. and have my insurance pay and I said I wouldn't because it's a warranty issue and when I bring it in, they can call a glass co. as long as they install an OEM windshield. They took the car when I brought it in.

Dealer called me yesterday and advised it might be another week or so before they can replace the glass since they don't have any and one will most likely have to be taken off the assembly line.

Saniboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

Hello retgi - I am experiencing similar issue on my 2011 SRX. Did they replace windshield under warranty? Any update on this post will be appreciated.
    Thanks

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I have an issue with my '11 SRX windshield. Actually it's two issues and they are the greasy film that occurs when it rains and the little pits that occur when small stones and debris from cars ahead of me throw small items up onto the windshield. My car has 14,000 miles on it and has only been on one interstate high speed trip in that mileage but it has as many pits as my old Tahoe did with over 133,000 miles on it. I am beginning to wonder if this is some sort of "New" glass that is not up to the old standards. You can spot these little pits when you are driving into the sun and see a lot of little sparkling points all over the windshield. Those are small pits in the glass and I have never had a car have so many so early in it's life. Has anyone else noticed this issue? Also, thank you for the warning about using the OEM glass instead of after market glass.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by retgi View Post
    Dealer called me yesterday and advised it might be another week or so before they can replace the glass since they don't have any and one will most likely have to be taken off the assembly line.
    Retgi, I just wanted to let you know I'm available if you would like me to call your dealer at any point to ask about the glass status. Email me anytime for further assistance at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Marc NY is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    I have an issue with my '11 SRX windshield. ... the little pits that occur when small stones and debris from cars ahead of me throw small items up onto the windshield. My car has 14,000 miles on it and has only been on one interstate high speed trip in that mileage but it has as many pits as my old Tahoe did with over 133,000 miles on it. I am beginning to wonder if this is some sort of "New" glass that is not up to the old standards. You can spot these little pits when you are driving into the sun and see a lot of little sparkling points all over the windshield. Those are small pits in the glass and I have never had a car have so many so early in it's life. Has anyone else noticed this issue? Also, thank you for the warning about using the OEM glass instead of aftermarket glass.
    Unfortunately those small chips or pits are going to happen regardless of where you travel or how few miles you have on your ride. I really don't think that the OEM glass is bad ... I believe your chips and pitting issues are the result of some of the roads you happen to travel on and the bad luck of following behind vehicles that are kicking up small debris onto your windshield. My 2013 SRX with 1,750 miles on it already has a few small stone pits on the windshield.

As far as replacement of your windshield ALWAYS ask for original OEM GM parts from the insurance companies, the insurance companies are notorious for trying to save money in using after-market parts if you don't specifically ask for OEM replacement parts.

BlackDeVille is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

I had something similar happen to my 2011 SRX. I brought it to the dealer and they decided it was a stress crack and replaced it under warranty. Gold Coast Cadillac in NJ is the best!

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Marc, I think you are mistaken on how windshields respond to road damage. My 2003 Tahoe lasted for 133,000 miles and the amount of road damage was about the same as my 14,000 mile SRX. I do not drive daily on high speed roads and in any event drive less than my Tahoe. There is something about these new windshields that has less hardness than the old ones. I do not know what it is but there is a difference. If enough people complain about the damage done to their windshields then we will get some feed back from GM. I have owned a lot of cars and none have had this much damage this quickly from in town driving. I also have the smearing problem when the windshield is wet plus the cracking problem of some of the other owners. Yes there is definitely something different about our windshields. In the 52 years that I have owned cars I have never had a "Stress" crack. What exactly is a stress crack? This sounds like a catch all phrase for bad design or bad glass.

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

I thinks it has to do with the aerodynamices of the car newer car designs . I have a 2003 Aurora with 25,000 miles and it has pits. i just drive it in the summer. Also in Ohio they mix raod salt with cinders or sand you can hear it hit the windsheild.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.