"No Remote Detected" Message
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, "No Remote Detected" Message in Cadillac SRX Forums; ...
    Nichelle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 AWD 3.0L Performance SRX (Delivered 3/19!)

"No Remote Detected" Message

So, I've had my SRX for just over a week. Today, I received the message "No Remote Detected" for the remote that I've been using during the week. I recalled from the manual that the car could still be started if I placed the remote in the little cut out section in the center console storage area. I did this and was able to start the car.

I checked the manual and it states the following:

Starting the Vehicle with a
    Low Transmitter Battery

If the transmitter battery is weak,
    the DIC may display “No Remote
    Detected” when you try to start the
    vehicle. The “Replace Battery in
    Remote Key” message may also be
    displayed at this time.

The battery shouldn't be low since it is new. I'll go have it replaced just in case. But I also did not receive a message regarding low battery power. The remote worked just fine from far across the parking lot to lock and unlock the doors. But once inside, the "No Remote Detected" error message appeared.

Any ideas or similar experiences? It seemed strange that the remote was fine for locking and unlocking the doors but was not detected once in the car.

P.S. - Once I got home I tried the other remote and it works just fine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

Re: "No Remote Detected" Message

Weak FOB battery......

Likely

Quote Originally Posted by Likely View Post
    Weak FOB battery......

Likely

That's kind of what I was figuring. Maybe I just have a bad battery. I'll pick up a new one tomorrow and see if that solves it.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

I don't think it's the battery. It uses a lithium battery, which has a 10 year shelf life. I'm pretty sure this happened to me several months ago. If I remember correctly, I think I just removed the remote from the car and then brought it back in. That made the car recognize the remote. Worked fine ever since. Had another weird instance when I left the remote in the car and the doors locked automatically once I walked away. This happened twice. Luckily I keep the extra remote handy, so it wasn't a big deal. The car was in the garage at the time. I have passive entry/exit. It shouldn't do this if the remote is left in the car. If you read the manual, they tell you not to leave the remote in the car. I think it confuses the system sometimes.

Sube

Thanks Sube. I removed the remote from the car when I got home. Unfortunately, it didn't help as the car still won't recognize it. Thankfully it does detect the other remote. And I haven't left either remote in the car since I bought it.

I was starting to hope that it was a bad battery as nothing else seemed to make sense. And considering that it unlocks the doors even the battery explanation doesn't seem quite right. I'll pick up a new battery tomorrow, though and see what happens.

Your remote may need to be reprogrammed. Page 1-5 explains how. You'll need both remotes to do this.

Sometimes they can lose "pairing", similar to Bluetooth devices.

Of course, it could be the battery. Just trying to save you from making an unnecessary purchase.

Sube

I looked at my handy saved copy of the owner's manual ( ) and saw that too. But I have the Performance model which, by Cadillac's terms, is not a "keyless access" vehicle. It seems they only classify the Premium model as "keyless access" since it refers to the passive entry system. The programming mentioned seems to be about programming the Keyless access system.

Programming with a Recognized
    Transmitter (Keyless Access
    Vehicles Only)

A new transmitter can be
    programmed to the vehicle when
    there is one recognized transmitter.
    To program, the vehicle must be off
    and all of the transmitters, both
    currently recognized and new,
    must be with you.
    1. Place the recognized
    transmitter(s) in the cupholder.
    2. Insert the vehicle key of the new
    transmitter into the key lock
    cylinder located on the outside
    of the driver door and turn the
    key to the unlock position
    five times within ten seconds.
    The Driver Information Center
    (DIC) displays “Ready To Learn
    Electronic Key #2, 3, 4, etc”.
    3. Place the new transmitter into
    the transmitter pocket. The
    transmitter pocket is inside the
    center console storage area
    located between the driver and
    front passenger seats. The
    storage area will need to be
    opened and the storage tray
    lifted up to access the
    transmitter pocket.
    4. Press the ignition. When the
    transmitter is learned the DIC
    display will show that it is ready
    to program the next transmitter.
    5. Remove the transmitter from
    the transmitter pocket and
    press K on the transmitter.
    To program additional
    transmitters, repeat Steps 3
    through 5.
    When all additional transmitters
    are programmed, press and hold
    the ignition for 5 seconds to exit
    programming mode.
    From the manual, this seems to be about programming the keyless access..

My remote is programmed as it recognizes it when I place it in the center console. I am easily able to start it when it's there. It's just not detected when its not in the center console.

I hope that makes sense as it's my best interpretation.

I might still give this a shot but the whole "keyless access' part is a bit confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichelle View Post
    From the manual, this seems to be programming the remote so its paired with the vehicle. My remote is programmed as it recognizes it when I place it in the center console. I am easily able to start it when it's there. It's just not detected when its not in the center console.
    You are correct. If the vehicle recognizes the remote when in the center console, then it should be correctly programmed. Silly me. What was I thinking? By process of elimination, it must be the battery. Let us know if it works once you replace the battery.

Sube

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    You are correct. If the vehicle recognizes the remote when in the center console, then it should be correctly programmed. Silly me. What was I thinking? By process of elimination, it must be the battery. Let us know if it works once you replace the battery.

Sube

Will do. I'll be picking up a battery in the morning.

Bee iLL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Raven Black STS-V, 2010 Radiant Silver SRX Premium 2.8T

Why not just swap the battery's between your two remotes? Then you don't have to purchase one and you can see if it really is the battery.

Lets call the problem remote "1" and the non-problem remote "2". If remote 1 is still having issues after putting in remote 2's battery, I would think there is an issue with remote 1, not the battery. If remote 2 starts to have the problem after putting in remote 1's battery, then you have a bad battery.

jcarlilesiu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Ice SRX4 Luxury Collection +Nav +RSE - 35,000M

Where you in an urban area?

In my old BMW, sometimes the car wouldn't recognize the signal from the FOB probably due to heavy amounts of FM transmissions and other dense communication types. With all of the IR sensor automatic doors, FM signals, radios, and various other types of "communication" in heavy areas, it wouldn't surprise me if the car was unable to find the FOB.

I have had this happen twice in my car, and both times I have been in downtown chicago. Simply removing myself from the car with key in pocket and reentering resolves the issue.

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
    Simply removing myself from the car with key in pocket and reentering resolves the issue.
    Um...maybe not.

Thanks Sube. I removed the remote from the car when I got home. Unfortunately, it didn't help as the car still won't recognize it.

Problem solved! So, I picked up a new battery, put it in the remote and now it works perfectly. It was a pain in the behind taking it apart to get to the battery, though. The remote doesn't feel quite as 'sturdy' as it did before. And the key is kind of loose. I tried not to be too rough with it but I must have done something wrong.

I really shouldn't have needed to replace a battery after just a week of owning the car.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
    Where you in an urban area?

In my old BMW, sometimes the car wouldn't recognize the signal from the FOB probably due to heavy amounts of FM transmissions and other dense communication types. With all of the IR sensor automatic doors, FM signals, radios, and various other types of "communication" in heavy areas, it wouldn't surprise me if the car was unable to find the FOB.

I have had this happen twice in my car, and both times I have been in downtown chicago. Simply removing myself from the car with key in pocket and reentering resolves the issue.
    I was in the 'burbs. That's good to know, though.

Problem solved! So, I picked up a new battery, put it in the remote and now it works perfectly. It was a pain in the behind taking it apart to get to the battery, though. The remote doesn't feel quite as 'sturdy' as it did before. And the key is kind of loose. I tried not to be too rough with it but I must have done something wrong.

I really shouldn't have needed to replace a battery after just a week of owning the car.
    Agreed. Your SRX is new enough that the dealer would probably have replaced the battery free of charge. Oh well, maybe they'll comp you in some other way. You should at least mention it to them.

Sube

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.