HID Fog Lights Installed!!! Pics & How To
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, HID Fog Lights Installed!!! Pics & How To in Cadillac SRX Forums; I had a couple of 6K H10 LED bulbs lying around and thought I would give them a try to ...
    rtsittner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD in Graphite Metallic

HID Fog Lights Installed!!! Pics & How To

I had a couple of 6K H10 LED bulbs lying around and thought I would give them a try to see how they look. The color was good, but they just did not put out enough light. While I was installing them, I noticed that it would be a slam dunk to put H10 HIDs in the stock location WITHOUT MODIFICATIONS!

Here is what I did...

First, the tools you will need (Pic #1):
    7/8" Socket and breaker bar for tire removal.
    #2 Phillips screw driver for wheel well liner.
    10mm socket and ratchet for ballast bracket.
    Small flat bladed screw driver or other tool to remove trim fastener.

Remove the wheel to gain access to the area.
    Using the #2 Phillips screw driver, remove the 6 screws from the wheel well liner. (See Pic #2 for screw locations circled in red).
    Using a small flat blade, pop out the center of the trim fastener. (See pic #3) Then with the same blade, pop out the trim fastener.
    Carefully fold the liner back and place it behind the strut to hold it out of the way.
    The stock lighting system is visible in pic #4. Notice that even in the rain and slush here in the Pacific Northwest, this area is clean and dry.

I am using a Philips H10 HID system. (Pics #5 & #6). Overall, the size is identical to the stock H10 bulb. (Pic #7).

The stock wiring is plug and play into the ballast and the ballast into the lights.

I used the ballast mounting bracket and the bolt to attach the ballast to the frame to the left of the fog light housing. (Pic #8). Note - on the driver's side, this hole is occupied by the horn wiring. I removed the hold-down from the horn wiring and attached the ballast to the hole just as in the passenger side. I then attached the wiring harness to the ballast bracket.

Here is a pic of the finished install with the wiring tied and wrapped (pic #9)

And here is the finished product (pic #10). The color is a bit bluer, but they are so bright!

This took about 1 hour including the time to remove and replace the wheels.

Thanks for looking...

Randy
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bankO_mAn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: HID Fog Lights Installed!!! Pics & How To

Looks good! from pervious posts I didnt think HIDs would fit? I will be ordering a kit now. Thanks for the write up!

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

Wow! That's amazing you got a set to fit! Must be my cheap non philips ones that don't fit!
    Ok sittner, now you have to post up where you got the philips HIDs from!

And seriously no modification? So much for my HIDCanada ones... *insert jealous smiley* where that red gasket thing is on mine, was wayyyy to big for the stock housing. And i wasn't going to cut so close to the bulb or the housing! I tried three different types of HIDs i had laying around! (not all H10 though, just to see if the gasket would fit)

bankO_mAn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Cheapest I've been able to find them is for 179.99 when I googled them...

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Wow! That's amazing you got a set to fit! Must be my cheap non philips ones that don't fit!
    Ok sittner, now you have to post up where you got the philips HIDs from!

And seriously no modification? So much for my HIDCanada ones... *insert jealous smiley* where that red gasket thing is on mine, was wayyyy to big for the stock housing. And i wasn't going to cut so close to the bulb or the housing! I tried three different types of HIDs i had laying around! (not all H10 though, just to see if the gasket would fit)
    Yep seriously. No modifications at all! I got my set from Wholesale Xenon Lights for $179 plus shipping.

It was just so easy to do.

Randy

wag 42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 SRX4 2.8T Premium-Platinum Ice-Chrome Tech-RSE

Great mod. Sorry to bring this up from the dead, but when you got inside the wheel wells, did you have access to the back of the headlight housings?

The reason I ask is I want to switch out the DRL's with led's, and heard you have to pull the fascia to access them. I figured I could kill 2 birds w/1 stone.

Thanks!

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by wag 42 View Post
    Great mod. Sorry to bring this up from the dead, but when you got inside the wheel wells, did you have access to the back of the headlight housings?

The reason I ask is I want to switch out the DRL's with led's, and heard you have to pull the fascia to access them. I figured I could kill 2 birds w/1 stone.

Thanks!
    You better check out this thread. But the short answer is: DRL's are accessed by the underhood area.
    SRX Mods!

wag 42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 SRX4 2.8T Premium-Platinum Ice-Chrome Tech-RSE

Yeah, I already saw that one. I was just hoping. Thanks...

bwclemons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury

VVME and DDM.com both have HID's for about $55.00 shipped. I prefer VVME. The install is very easy and fairly quick. If you want to match the factory HID color use 4300k or 4500k. I will be using 55wt HID's when I finish my kit I just received. As far as getting to the HEADLIGHTS, NOT THE FOGS, is conserned, it is far easer to remove the front bumper than any other way. I have tried many different ways to get to the bulbs. To do what the books say is nearly impossible any will cause you much greef. You can remove the front bumper of the car in about 30 minutes or less and remove both lights easily for changing of the bulbs. If you want any information on how to do this PM me and I will tell you step by step. You only need a few basic tools and it will be a snap.
    Beleive me!

2010sled is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2010 PREMIUM AWD SRX

red"]to much buchering for me they don't call that a weather tight plug for nothing. maybe on a equnox but not aa cadillac!!!!

jpcork40 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX4 Performance

I bought the Phillips 4300K kit. Took an hour as suggested above, plug and play and no installation issues at all. The color is identical to the headlights, and makes a huge difference. Thanks for the post!

Quote Originally Posted by jpcork40 View Post
    I bought the Phillips 4300K kit. Took an hour as suggested above, plug and play and no installation issues at all. The color is identical to the headlights, and makes a huge difference. Thanks for the post!
    I am glad it helped! Post some pics when you get a chance!

Randy

skyoung is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 RSX

Randy, I just noticed your licence frame, Brotherton! I just got my 2011 RSX there, not happy with the low beams on my Lux model and there are no driving lamps either. Your write-up and pictures are great. I wish there was a way I could convert my halogens to HID but I think not

Steve Young

Carnation

tc2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX LUXURY

^^^ Steve....try this: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ry-models.html

Back to the regularly scheduled thread

Quote Originally Posted by skyoung View Post
    Randy, I just noticed your licence frame, Brotherton! I just got my 2011 RSX there, not happy with the low beams on my Lux model and there are no driving lamps either. Your write-up and pictures are great. I wish there was a way I could convert my halogens to HID but I think not

Steve Young

Carnation
    Welcome to the forum Steve. I am glad my post helped you out. I live on Whidbey Island, but work on the mainland. I am really enjoying my SRX.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.