HID Fog Lights Installed!!! Pics & How To - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, HID Fog Lights Installed!!! Pics & How To in Cadillac SRX Forums; hi, how do you post pics on here?...
    clubLuLu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX crossover

Re: HID Fog Lights Installed!!! Pics & How To

hi, how do you post pics on here?

daddie2k3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Performance

Thanks so much for this write up it made everything so easy because i knew the job before i took the job, with that said it took me right at 1 hr and 15 mins total because not only was i very careful but i also had rain breaks where it sprinkled a little on and off.....just a heads up for anybody who will do this after me you might be able to "steal" a 9005 bulb in housing if you dont have a h10 like factory or suggested...the funniest part about the install was i spent more time on the trim thing that you use a flat head or shapre object then anything else....will post pics if anybody would like but i think Randy and the Captain did such a great job so i didnt think it was a need

buddy220022 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 srx

did the factory fog lights come with a ballast also?

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

Quote Originally Posted by buddy220022 View Post
    did the factory fog lights come with a ballast also?
    They do not

Greg Franklin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

Thank you! Excellent!!

SrxNamja is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by rtsittner View Post
    Yep seriously. No modifications at all! I got my set from Wholesale Xenon Lights for $179 plus shipping.

It was just so easy to do.

Randy
    I'm guessing you used 35w ballasts but ive heard a lot of fog light housing melt issues with hids. can the srx stock housing for fogs handle that?

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

No light housing should melt with HIDs. HID bulbs run cooler than halogen bulbs.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

true they can run cooler but why are there all these stories of them melting? the one that i found interesting was the bulb was to close to the lens. i mean plan on only 35w ballast but just scares me since I got these fogs just installed lol

I have no idea why there are so many stories, but I believe it relates to old high power halogen bulbs (before HID's were common) being 'high output' of which they were hotter and did melt casings. Just stories that got passed on without checking into any actual facts.
    allgm and allgm like this.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    I have no idea why there are so many stories, but I believe it relates to old high power halogen bulbs (before HID's were common) being 'high output' of which they were hotter and did melt casings. Just stories that got passed on without checking into any actual facts.
    i might as well give it a go since I plan on doing the hid conversion know now that i don't have to drill a hole in the housing. just curious captain but I was trying to post pictures and avatar for showing what the philips look like on our cars for those that decide they are happy with just that but i cant seem to. i read the faq but am I missing something on why i cant? Do I need certain amount of posts?[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

Yea, as long as you have more than 10 posts you should be able to put up pictures (which you do). So you can host them to a photo site and link them in, or use the 'insert picture' button in the panel above this reply section to insert pictures too.

inspectorudy is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

I installed HIDs in my '11 and did not drill any holes in the housing. I did drill one hole in each of the small round plastic doors at the very rear of the housing. The kit contained rubber grommets that looks like it came from the factory with it installed. I did not have to drill to mount the two ballast since I used the two holes that were already in the front trunk area. The two ballast are not visible unless items are removed to find them. I do not understand the queasiness about holes. GM drills many holes that are not used on every model and they are there from the factory. Here is a picture from my car with the "Holes" in the back plates. Also note factory hole above blue wire coming from hole I enlarged to add wire. The wire can be seen barely going between the air filter box on the right and the light housing on the left. This is the only angle that it is visible from under the hood. I tried to down load more pics but I must be tapped out on the amount I can load on this meme.
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.