Cadillac Owners Forum banner

SRX mods! *Very pic heavy*

120K views 183 replies 69 participants last post by  DavidH62 
#1 ·
So, i got all my interior lights swapped out from crappy yellow (stock 3900K incandescent), to sweet 6000K LED. From V-LEDs.com. A GREAT upgrade over stock! :D Easy as pie too. All you need is a tiny head flathead screwdriver, and a medium torx for the rear seat "light guard", you'll see. Fourteen lights in all.
Also, WeatherTech front mats installed. Very nice!

Second also, Murray's installed my grill and fixed my front bumper! :D And in another week, tint and 3M!

Floor mats- in the stock lighting - Dark Titanium interior

Visor vanity lights -6000K colour (shown) is likely to mess with Ladies' makeup colour, recommend 5000K for Pure White light

Side by side comparo

Interior lights -pictures show clips and recommended insert points for screwdriver. Centre console lights (first shown) are tricky, use a cloth and driver to "pry" the lights out, careful, or you'll pop the chrome housing out of its clips. (My brother did that, :()

See less See more
#67 ·
Re: SRXMods! *Very pic heavy*

Hello to "TheCaptain"
Your LED modifications appear so awesome I just made a purchase from V-LEDS. I just ordered some 194_4_HPF_W_6K and also purchased some 194_6F_W_6K. I may have to rewire the polarity for the 194_6F_W_6K but I thought I would give them a try because they are not as expensive as the "HPF" type. Question, have you tried any of these? Your vehicle is beautiful. Keep up the Great Work!

#68 ·

I haven't tried either of those bulb types, 2011_SRX. Mostly because they are a half directional light, and most of the SRX's light sockets are most effective with a bulb emitting light out the end. I always wondered if these bulbs would change the light light pattern dramatically or not so don't be afraid to post some pics!
Thanks for the compliments!

#69 · (Edited)

I haven't tried either of those bulb types, 2011_SRX. Mostly because they are a half directional light, and most of the SRX's light sockets are most effective with a bulb emitting light out the end. I always wondered if these bulbs would change the light light pattern dramatically or not so don't be afraid to post some pics!
Thanks for the compliments!
Referencing the link on your post, I do see you used 194_5_SMT_W_6K bulbs in the interior. I only ordered two pair of each half directional just to try them. If they are not as good as yours, I will order the exact same you used. My only logic was the half directionals appeared slightly closer to the 901 bulb size I am replacing. Maybe the half directionals will be good in the glove compartment? I will be certain to post some photos and thanks again for listing the details on those really nice mods on your Caddy.

#71 · (Edited)

I understand. I look forward to seeing your input!
Hey TheCaptain, Here are the results. The numbers written by each bulb represents the intensity reading from a light meter placed one foot from the lens. The larger number indicates the brightest bulb.
Three 194_4_HPF_W_6K illuminate the luggage compartment nicely. They fit rather well inside the plastic lens/bulb holder assembly. In this application, the half directional work quite well but for the map lights and all others using a reflector, the 194_5_SMT_W_6K bulbs you chose are the best. Thanks for the great idea, they look super!

Attachments

#74 ·

The "dome" lights in the SRX are actually all 194 bulbs. If you want to replace them all, (dome, doors, cargo, glovebox) we have 15!! I purchased from V-leds.com and am happy with them, i just bought more for the 06 Impala i just bought as well.

ALSO! I must update you guys, i'm one of those idiots that turns my foglights on every time i have the headlights on (not that the lights are on all the time, just once auto kicks on the headlights). So! Now one of my H10 6000K LED foglights crapped out on me. I got a whopping 8ish months out of them. :banghead:
After i got a whopping month and a half out of the LED DRL's, i am pissed at Putco's cheap LEDs! :bomb:

#78 ·

ALSO! I must update you guys, i'm one of those idiots that turns my foglights on every time i have the headlights on (not that the lights are on all the time, just once auto kicks on the headlights). So! Now one of my H10 6000K LED foglights crapped out on me.
Captain - I too run mine all the time. My install of the Phillips H10 HIDs (install posted on this site) have run perfectly! Give them a try. You won't be disappointed...

Randy

#76 ·

Has anyone replaced the DRL's with LED, even better Amber imho? If so are there any pics? Also did they fit or were mods needed etc?

Welcome Andraxus ! The Capt is one of, and the leader here, on LED replacements for SRX, and he just had one burn out in under 2 months!

In my years of experience, I have found:

ALL brands halogen, headlite replacement bulbs that many use to try and get a brighter, HID type look like the SRX has, in their rides DO NOT last as long as OE bulbs. The "bluer" (hotter the color temps), the shorter the lifespan! I've tried Piaa and Sylvania Silver Stars brands, as well as others. (Slyvania's published a "time/hours use chart. very revealing!)

LEDs also seem to burn out faster than filament type bulbs. I put them in my Yukon and Buick Enclave.

Amber vs white seems to matter little.

SO...... as good as The Capt and others rides look in heavy LED mods, I for one, will only replace the bulbs that are easy to get to! (like the rear license bulbs-3 minutes! Interior bulbs-2 minutes.) Some take hours to change out, and I still have a day job. LOL

Best wishes.

SS

#77 ·

Andraxus, you shouldn't have any problem with putting an orange LED or bulb in for the DRL, as long as it is the 7440 bulb. I've wondered what it would look like, but i prefer to have white DRL's when possible. :D

#79 ·
OK so have all the lights for the interior. The dome lights are woopin me. The chrome thing came out of its clips, and the 194 bulbs don't seem to want to go into their housing. Was your brother able to fix the chrome housing in front dome, and also how did you get those lights in?

#80 ·
Yea, those dome's are a pain. We had to take down that centre dome light/sunroof console, pop the lights into their sockets, then pop the chrome thing back into place before we put it back up. It almost seems like you have to do it that way.

#82 ·
Yep, a 7440 or 7443 bulb fits just fine.

But like i mentioned earlier, i got a whopping month and a half out of mine before one burnt out, and the other started having problems. I eventually went with PIAA Extreme white 7440 bulbs in my DRL's.

#85 ·
They're holding up great! I have Nokya 7000K foglights i just installed since my nice LED ones burnt... so my DRL's and fogs are different colours... lol
I don't have pics of my new fogs, but you've obviously seen the PIAA's.

#86 ·
They're holding up great! I have Nokya 7000K foglights i just installed since my nice LED ones burnt... so my DRL's and fogs are different colours... lol
I don't have pics of my new fogs, but you've obviously seen the PIAA's.
Wow Capt! All that work and you're still in the same boat as me. :D Different lights, with different colors. Why on earth didn't GM just use headlights, fog lights and DRLs that all produce the same color light? A rhetorical question of course. I think we both know the answer to that one. During daylight I use the fog lights in conjunction with the DRLs, so at least the colors match then. But at night white headlights with yellow fog lights look idiotic. Just my humble opinion. Apparently, GM disagrees with me.

Sube

#88 ·
I'm attempting to install LED interior lights in my 2010 SRX. I have done this mod on several previous cars. I've removed the light lenses and the larger trim piece, but, I can't get the bulbs out. I would like to remove the entire big trim piece to get to the bulbs from the rear. Do you know if this piece just snaps out? I've put some pressure on it, but, it seems tight. If you do have knowledge about this piece, where are the tabs located?

#89 ·
I imagine you are talking about the center overhead console, of which there are six tabs, all on the left and right sides of the console, and at the front, middle and back of it. It's tight the first time, then its gets a little less tight to pop in and out after the first one.

#92 ·
Not yet, it should be easy enough, just have to take the inner fender liner out enough to get your hand in there.

#95 ·
I just changed out those bulbs again and put LEDs, all I did was turn the wheel as far as I could to side I was working on and unscrewed 3 or 4 screws where the mud flap and maybe one or two much going up the end and I also took out the push pin at top and just pulled back and i reached up and unlocked socket by turn counter clockwise and there you have it in a matter of mins...

#96 ·
Hey Great work and write-up.

Have you thought about putting a LED in the little cubby hole under the radio/CD so when you open it up there is a soft light in there... and also the center console. They both have 12V already there, it would be a matter of opening, drilling a small hole and putting a 12V LED there. I went to the local auto store and saw the blue ones they sell, 4 per pack for $20. They have cool housing already on them and are ready for wiring up. Have you opened the cubby hole and center console?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.