Nav Detail
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Nav Detail in Cadillac SRX Forums; Even with the scale set to the lowest setting there are still a lot of streets that are not named. ...
    Chicago SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Nav Detail

Even with the scale set to the lowest setting there are still a lot of streets that are not named. The line is there to show the street, but no name is associated with it. My Garmin is better than this. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: Nav Detail

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago SRX View Post
    Even with the scale set to the lowest setting there are still a lot of streets that are not named. The line is there to show the street, but no name is associated with it. My Garmin is better than this. Any suggestions?
    I would gather to say most "dedicated" GPS devices are probably more accurate than the one built into the SRS (and other cars too for that matter). I've found that it doesn't locate all of the gas stations. Twice I've sat in a gas station parking lot, only to discover it wasn't pinpointed on the GPS.

On the positive side, it is nicely integrated into the audio system and has a huge 8 inch screen.

It is what it is. What can I tell you.

Sube

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Yea, Automakers' Nav blows for Canada. They have detail on 20 urban center's, none of which are within 4 hours of me. I think i will keep my little $300 Garmin handy.
    It'll be interesting to see if they even have Moosomin on their map!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago SRX View Post
    If you go into the Config Menu and go to Nav>Map Database Information>Coverage you'll see 13 pages of U.S. regions. Each page shows which areas of that region the GPS has "detailed" information for. Those areas are highlighted in white. The white areas should have street names for small side streets.

I'm sure the Canadian SRXs have the same thing, although I don't know exactly how many pages/regions it's divided into.

Sube

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    If you go into the Config Menu and go to Nav>Map Database Information>Coverage you'll see 13 pages of U.S. regions. Each page shows which areas of that region the GPS has "detailed" information for. Those areas are highlighted in white. The white areas should have street names for small side streets.

I'm sure the Canadian SRXs have the same thing, although I don't know exactly how many pages/regions it's divided into.

Sube
    Sorry Sube, i wish...

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Canada/GM Canada website View Post
    Bose 10-speaker 5.1 Cabin Surround sound system plus Navigation System with 40 GB Hard Drive Device (HDD)-based navigation for map coverage* in Canada and USA, 8-in. pop-up touch screen with voice and/or text guidance and Rearview Camera System (*Detailed map coverage is available for most major urban areas of the United States and for certain metropolitan areas of Canada: Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Windsor, London, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City and Halifax. Coverage is significantly limited outside these areas.)
    Winnipeg is 4.5 hours from me. Edmonton next closest at 10. Although i'm not saying it's just going to be a straight line from one to the other, but significantly limited is just that. Like, my home province doesn't have any major cities with "any" sort of good coverage! That's the equivalent area space of leaving 5, FIVE states off the map! (Although only the population coverage of a half a state)

I'll stick with Garmin for the Nav dedication.

That sucks Capt.

Sube

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

I can't say that I'm impressed with the Nav on the SRX. I haven't used it much and decided it give it a try the other night when we went to the Ballet. I tried to enter a POI (Point of Interest) for "The Long Center" in Austin, TX and it wasn't listed. This facility has been around for at least 2 years and is the city's main arts venue. WHAT!!?? I even tried "Long Center" just in case. No go. GM needs a major update to their Nav content. Too bad they didn't go with Google Navigation. Even my cell phone can do that. Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    Too bad they didn't go with Google Navigation. Even my cell phone can do that. Go figure!
    Yeah, I've been checking out the Google Maps Navigation at the link below. Only problem is, you need a 3G Network for it to work. I think we're years away from seeing cars with access to a 3G or 4G Network. They'll probably have 6G by then. Not that they can't do it now. We both know the technology is there. It's just that when it comes to audio, Nav and other electronics, auto makers seem to consistently lag behind the rest of the world. Just look at how long it took for cars to start coming with CD players. Now, they're still selling cars with CD changers! How dated is that? The auto industry is ALWAYS one step behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXK4...ayer_embedded#

Sube

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

If you find a POI (Point of Interest) is missing from your Nav, please go to this web site and enter the info. It can only help to get this info updated in future releases of the Navigation Discs.

http://www.gmnavdisc.com/disc-map-reporter.asp?lang=en

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    If you find a POI (Point of Interest) is missing from your Nav, please go to this web site and enter the info. It can only help to get this info updated in future releases of the Navigation Discs.

http://www.gmnavdisc.com/disc-map-reporter.asp?lang=en
    Good idea, but we shouldn't have to do GM's work for them. From what I've found missing, I'd be on that site every day. It would become a full-time job. $200 to "buy" a new Nav disc? What a rip off! Why isn't this free? Stand alone GPS units don't charge for updates. They need to implement an over-the-air system of automatic updates. My cell phone's GPS automatically updates itself every 10 days. But then again, we're back to needing a 3G Network.

Sube

I would like to point out that it isn't just GM's nav that blows, i drove an 08 Titan with Nav a short while back, and while the truck itself was... well, fair, the nav blew chunks, and had some poorly designed not very intuitive controls.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.