Factory 20" CHROME Wheels?? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Factory 20" CHROME Wheels?? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by Ponyman DUH!! Then your wheels ARE NOT CHROME. They are painted aluminumn. No chrome on them anywhere. ...
    pcolacadisrx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx

Re: Factory 20" CHROME Wheels??

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyman View Post
    DUH!! Then your wheels ARE NOT CHROME. They are painted aluminumn. No chrome on them anywhere. The only CHROME factory wheels are the Chrome Tec ones.
    DUH... my point is THEY'RE NOT PLASTIC!

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

They are a chrome plated plastic cover, glued onto the rim.

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

Duh , in your original post you you said your chrome wheels are not plastic. If you have the aluminumn wheels they also ARE NOT CHROME. The ONLY chrome wheels on the SRX are the chrome tech plastic caps that are glued onto the wheels. If you have painted aluminumn wheels they ARE NOt CHROME. If you have CHROME wheels they are PLASTIC caps,

hapycadyownr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

I have Chrom-tec on my black caddy and LOVE them. However, while washing one a couple of weeks ago I noticed a rip/tear/split in one of the wheels near the valve stem. I took it to the dealer because I believe this is a manuf defect. They are investigating and I'll post an update with what they discover.

However: I'm asking everyone to check your chrom-tec wheels. Look very closely near the valve stem and in the correct light you can see under the chrome there is a parting line in the aluminum understructure. This is where my chrome split and I'd like to know if anyone else is having this issue?

In a thread on a much earlier post someone said they had cracks in two ofthem and they were being replaced under warrranty. There is a reason they are using the plastic caps. They are a $250 option. On my 08 CTS it cost $1800 to get the 18' polished aluminumn wheel.

well pony I don't know what you have but mine are alluminum, NOT PLASTIC!

Then they aren't chrome. ALL the chrome wheels on the SRX are plastic caps. Argue with me and everyone else on this board if you want, but you are WRONG.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyman View Post
    Then they aren't chrome. ALL the chrome wheels on the SRX are plastic caps. Argue with me and everyone else on this board if you want, but you are WRONG.
    NOpe never WRONG... first off... mine aren't even CAPS!

For arguments sake, let's say you're right. Isn't GM/Cadillac libeling themselves by advertising "chrome painted alluminum" instead
    of "chrome painted plastic"? And I never argued that they were 100% chrome... only that they're alluminum and not plastic.

Now, since you and GMJim seem to be quite knowledgable why don't you help me with the DIC Routing Failure and let me know if
    it's something I should worry about? Or just a Navi mistake I might've made and let me know how to clear it?

smiley47 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon Black Diamond Tri-Coat

I think both you guys need another cocktail.

you're probably right.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

From the GM Canada Cadillac site...

Quote Originally Posted by GM Canada Cadillac site
    Wheels – 20" x 8" 7-spoke chrome tech aluminum
    Chrome Tech is described as a Chrome covered plastic shell (apx 1" /2.2 cm thick) glued on top of an aluminum rim. Provides the look of chrome with the weight savings and economy of aluminum.

Look I'm not trying to argue this point. BUT here, in this neck_of_the_woods, it is listed on the website, and on the sticker, as 20" chrome painted alluminum. No mention of "tech". If I have 20" chrome tech painted alluminum then should I be concerned with the durability? If one of them fails on me while driving, then do I grounds to sue for false advertising? (seeing as how I thought I had alluminum wheels and wasn't aware that I was sold "plastic" wheels?

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

There are only two types of 20" wheels offered from the factory for the 2010 SRX.

-If it's a sparkle silver finish with a recessed groove running down the center of the spoke then they're painted aluminum.

-If you can see your reflection in the wheel like a mirror and there's a triangular shaped raised ridge running down the center of the spoke, then it's an aluminum wheel with a chrome plated plastic cap glued over it- also known as "Chrome Tech" or "Chrome Clad". It may not be apparent because of how flush the cap sits on the wheel, but it is a cap.

Actual chrome plated aluminum wheels are not offered as a factory option on the 2010 models.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

IMO they (Cadillac) should address the issue of misrepresentation/false advertising before they get themselves in trouble. Still, having said all that, I still think this is one AWESOME car! The smoothest ride I've ever been in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.