Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Playlists on Hard Disc Drive

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  My1stSRX 
#1 ·
Has anyone been able to copy a playlist to their hard disc drive? I have created a playlist on my USB drive and can play it from the USB Drive, but when I select copy all songs to the hard disc drive, the playlists do not seem to copy. I don't even see a Playlists option under the Hard Disc Drive Music Menu, though it does list it as being an option in the navigation manual, Page 30.

Playlist: Select to view the playlists
on the hard drive. Select a playlist
to view a list of all songs in the
playlist. Select a song from the list.
Once selected, Playlist Mode
displays.

I really like being able to copy my music to the hard disc drive. However, it plays the tracks in alphabetical order. Some albums the songs lead into eachother so alphabetical doesn't sound right, so I thought I could take care of that with a playlist... Any ideas or has anyone else had any success?

#2 ·
...However, it plays the tracks in alphabetical order. Some albums the songs lead into eachother so alphabetical doesn't sound right, so I thought I could take care of that with a playlist...

I don't have an answer to the copy playlist question.

As for playing songs in 'album order' (not alphabetical), check out the following thread.

It may be that a USB device is more versatile than the HDD for you. It will probably take some modification of your ID3 tags though.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...forum-2010/185587-usb-flash-drive-limits.html

#3 ·
Try sorting the songs the way you want them displayed while they are still on USB THumb Drive (By Artist, etc) You may need to manipulate the songs by creating folders by artist while on a PC or MAC. Copy them to the USB Thrumb Drive. Stick the Thumb Drive into the USB Port and press record then all. My System downloaded 256 of my favorite songs by artist in like 3 minutes. I love this feature. Playing them off the USB drive makes selection and play start a little slower. Ultra Fast when it is in the hard drive.

#5 ·
Has anyone been able to copy a playlist to their hard disc drive?
No way I know of to do this. Anything I want in playlists I put in folders on the thumbdrive. The rest of the music on the thumbdrive is in the Root Directory. I play them directly from the thumbdrive. This allows me to play music by Playlist, and also by Genre, Artist, Song or Album. Any music on the HDD is played by Genre, Artist, Song or Album.

Just FYI, if you have certain songs by one artist in a folder and others in the Root Directory, you can play them all continuously. You don't have to switch back and forth from the folder to the Root Directory.

The key to making all of this work correctly is having all of the ID3 tags in order.

Sube

#6 ·
You all know that you can create your playlist on the HDD right?

Saving HDD Favorites

During HDD playback, to save the
current song playing to a category
preset:
• Press the FAV hard key until the
FAV playlist category displays.

• Touch and hold a preset button
on the bottom of the screen
until the Saved to Favorites
message displays.

You can create up to 6 different playlists. Adding to and deleting songs to the playlist is very easy. :banghead:

#8 ·
This method seems very slow and cumbersome. I usually have a few hundred songs on each playlist. Doing it like this would take me forever. It's much quicker doing it on the computer. That way, you can put dozens or even hundreds of songs into folders (playlists) in a matter of seconds. Get a 16GB or 32GB thumbdrive and you're on your way.

Sube

#9 ·
Maybe I don't want to use a thumbdrive? I keep a cd case in the center console full of DVD's with Movies/Music Videos and it pretty much takes up the whole space, so having a flash drive stick out of the usb port is not option unless I remove the cd case. What works for you doesn't always work for everyone else. I would have asked about the thumbdrive originally if I didn't already have it figured out.

#15 ·
I read some where the SRX supports playlist of either m3u or wpl format.

I haven't tried to create either and see for myself because I work in software all day and the last thing I want to do when I get home is more computers. LOL

check out this wikipedia page for the m3u format:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U

Post back here if you get it to work. I'll do the same, when I get some time.

I would recommend a tool like this: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

#19 ·
I've copied several cds to the HDD and can totally relate. Although there may be a 2-disc "album" recorded on the HDD, the songs are in alphabetical order and not track order. It's very frustrating. I also can't seem to shuffle a particular artist either - for example if I have 3 Dave Matthews Band cds recorded on the HDD, I can't just choose Artist = Dave Matthews and it will shuffle - it plays all of the songs in alphabetical order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.