Gas Pedel
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Gas Pedel in Cadillac SRX Forums; Just for my information what happens if our srx throttle sticks wide open. Will the computer shut it down?...
    lewlew is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX AWD PREMIUM

Gas Pedel

Just for my information what happens if our srx throttle sticks wide open. Will the computer shut it down?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

Re: Gas Pedel

I would post the question here:
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/

lewlew is offline Banned

i will not dirty my computer with a yota web site. i think we cadillac owners should be able anwser this;

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: Stuck Gas Pedal

The standard solution is this:

1. Apply the brakes.

2. While depressing the brakes, shift into Neutral ("N").

3. Reapply the brakes to slow the vehicle to a stop.

Step one is necessary to disengage the "Shift Lock", thereby enabling you to shift into Neutral. It's a rather simple process, although in a panic traveling over 100 m.p.h., one might not be calm enough to think about this. Unfortunately, (allegedly) this is what happened to that family of four killed in their Lexus in CA.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER turn the ignition off! This can lock the steering, obviously having catastrophic results.

Sube

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

I'm pretty sure you won't have to worry about this problem, unless you are driving a toyota. But sube has the right combo in order anyway.

lewlew is offline Banned

im hopeing we can get a better awnser than the obvious, i thought it was done by wire, not a cable

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

The answer is "no, the computer won't shut it down." If the accelerator is stuck open, the computer doesn't know that your foot isn't still on it. There are no "foot sensors" in the accelerator pedal.

Although, if the SRX will do it, you could just turn the key (or push the button in the SRX's case) to accessory, if it will do that. Then you retain power amenities (for a short period anyway) while killing the engine.

Something like three presses while it's running turns it to accessory or something?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Although, if the SRX will do it, you could just turn the key (or push the button in the SRX's case) to accessory, if it will do that. Then you retain power amenities (for a short period anyway) while killing the engine.

Something like three presses while it's running turns it to accessory or something?
    Yeah, only one problem. That will not only shut off the engine, but also lock the steering wheel. Retained Accessory Power (RAP) only operates the below features (page 8-18).

Retained Accessory Power (RAP)

These vehicle accessories can be
    used for up to 10 minutes after the
    engine is turned off:

. Audio System
    . Power Windows
    . Sunroof (if equipped)

Sube

But it still should be similar to "Run" in a normal key ignition should it not? Except after a minute or so it will cut power to the pcm/injectors and other engine functions, just leaving RAP?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

You have to turn the key all the way back to lock the wheel. If you did that, just turn it forward again to unlock. Not a big deal...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    You have to turn the key all the way back to lock the wheel. If you did that, just turn it forward again to unlock. Not a big deal...
    What key are you talking about? My SRX has a push button start.

Sube

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

No key.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

I'd have to check and see, but GM deleted steering column locks on automatic transmission cars quite some time ago.
    I can't remember... seems like it was around 02-04 somewhere.
    Standard transmission vehicles do have steering column locks.

The PEPS (passive entry passive start) system used on the 10 SRX will not lock the steering.
    You will lose POWER ASSIST if you turn the engine off, but you'll still have a reserve in the brakes and even so... you can still steer and push the brake, just without power assist it requires more effort, steering is easy as long as the vehicle is rolling.

This is a pretty moot argument, the springs that GM uses in our Accelerator Pedals are pretty stout. I don't know what kind of wuss factor they built into the Yota pedals but based on the AP assemblies I have serviced it won't happen.
    Shift to Neutral or shut the engine off.... know your car and be ready is the key. If you have a car that has an ignition lock then be ready and know how to deal with it.

Excellent question by the way, shows some thinking on the OP's part here, too bad 12 people had to die for people to worry about "what if?"
    Proof positive to me the casual attitude people take towards operating a 3,000-8,000 pound projectile.

PS, I have accidentally engaged a steering column lock on a car while I was driving it while doing testing, not a fun experience!

xrs01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2

Re: Stuck Gas Pedal

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    The standard solution is this:

1. Apply the brakes.

2. While depressing the brakes, shift into Neutral ("N").

3. Reapply the brakes to slow the vehicle to a stop.

Step one is necessary to disengage the "Shift Lock", thereby enabling you to shift into Neutral.

Sube
    Page 8-24 in the manual discusses "Shift Lock". I must have missed the part where it says you must apply the brakes to shift from Drive to Neutral.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here's a question:

With the engine running and the transmission in Drive (and you are moving and let's say you also have your foot on the accelerator), can you shift to Neutral without applying the brakes?

I have been able to do exactly this with every other car I've owned. If it's different on the SRX, what page in the manual covers this?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.