SRX vs. RX 350
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, SRX vs. RX 350 in Cadillac SRX Forums; The two big talked about crossovers on the market these days are the Lexus RX 350 and the Cadillac SRX. ...
    liamdye is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): Want an SRX

SRX vs. RX 350

The two big talked about crossovers on the market these days are the Lexus RX 350 and the Cadillac SRX. I was wondering what you guys think is the better car for these conditions:

- From a BMW 323i
    - 4 kids
    - Middle aged male Driver
    - Snow Driving, Rain, City and Dirt Road Conditions
    - iPod/Bluetooth integration

For the SRX it would just be the 3.0 V6 AWD. Lexus would be the AWD as well.

Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Re: SRX vs. RX 350

Quote Originally Posted by liamdye View Post
    The two big talked about crossovers on the market these days are the Lexus RX 350 and the Cadillac SRX. I was wondering what you guys think is the better car for these conditions:

- From a BMW 323i
    - 4 kids
    - Middle aged male Driver
    - Snow Driving, Rain, City and Dirt Road Conditions
    - iPod/Bluetooth integration

For the SRX it would just be the 3.0 V6 AWD. Lexus would be the AWD as well.

Thanks for any help.
    Four kids=Escalade ESV, Suburban, minivan, full size conversion/creepy van(GM vans can be had in AWD), maybe a Ford Flex, Mazda CX-9, Buick Enclave.

Seriously though, just drive them and see which one you like better. They're both going to give you the same amount of utility. I personally like the looks of the Caddy SRX a lot better, but I've heard its underpowered and a total bore to drive.

For the $$$ you can get into any of the other crossovers I mentioned and get that all important 3rd row of seats. I personally love the design of the Ford Flex, AWD is optional, the optional Ecoboost V6 is damn quick and gets great gas mileage, and the interior is VAST and very upscale.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

The Lexus is ubiquitous (damn things all over the place around here); that may or may not be a consideration. The SRX, though becoming quite popular, is still not running rampant, so if you like a little exclusivity, that may be a point to consider.

I'd pick the SRX but I have an aversion to foreign, my problem/curse/merit; all upon how you look at it. Go with your 'grin-factor'; does one or the other say, "I gotta have it" to you?

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Test drove both a month ago.

Ultimately, the Lexus had far better
    "toys" in the vehicle. Their mouse-driven
    navigation, phone and iPod system is nearly
    unbeatable. Very impressive!

...not to say that the CTS technology is very
    far behind. It's just not as elaborate.

However, I chose the Cadillac based on
    two things....

The ride. The SRX has a much smoother
    ride.

Second, I had driven a CTS for 2 years
    prior to that and already impressed with
    Cadillac luxury. The Lexus just didn't
    impress me enough to want to move into
    that brand. Perhaps eventually.

lewlew is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX AWD PREMIUM

my srx is cool to drive and has a lot of excitment when i put it into sport mode. a bore to drive is far from the srx by the way this is a caddy web site.

liamdye,

lewlew brings up a great point.

It will be difficult to get a bias opinion here
    or on a Lexus forum.

Here are some reviews that may help....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/4323555.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

http://blog.goparkway.net/?p=89

Even a video here:

Even with all that information you will find conflicting
    opinions.

Consider this...

The Cadillac CTS raised the bar in luxury vehicles
    in 2008. The SRX duplicates many of the same
    principles of the CTS.

The only downside to this vehicle is that it seems
    the engine is no match to the weight of the vehicle.
    I find that acceleration could be better and that
    the vehicle sometimes struggles to get into gear
    while accelerating.

However, that is a minor flaw when considering
    the benefits of the vehicle which include very nice
    luxury touches and that classic Cadillac ride.

You should test drive both. Take note of how
    much smoother the ride is on the SRX over the
    LEXUS. That was the deciding factor for me.

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Personally, I wish that people wanting V performance would quit driving/buying the SRX. I don't find ANY ISSUE with power/acceleration as the vehicle is not BUILT FOR RACING. Furthermore, it is not a "total bore to drive."

Getting back to the topic at hand, I have owned an RX and now own an SRX. I will never own another Japanese vehicle...in fact, I won't even consider them. American all the way, baby.

Good luck with your choice, though I agree with the other poster who said you might need something larger than either of these with 4 kids.

Personally, I wish that people wanting V performance would quit driving/buying the SRX.
    I know that comment was aimed at me so
    allow me to respond...

There have been many comments both on
    this forum and in reviews about the acceleration
    on the SRX.

Nobody is looking for or mistaking this vehicle
    for V performance. The CTS I owned wasn't
    a V series and its acceleration was outstanding.

All that people are saying is that the acceleration
    on this vehicle is somewhat clunky. It really has
    to work to get up to speed and sometimes you
    feel its efforts.

TRARON is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium - Gold Mist

I test drove the RX350 and SRX before ultimately buying the SRX last week. The RX350 is a nice vehicle and has a bit more power than the SRX. IMO the SRX is definitely a more luxurious vehicle than the RX. It also has a nicer ride, but I guess that varies by user. If your looking for a vehicle to move 4 kids, I don't think the SRX is for you as it is only a five passenger. I also own a MDX and that has a third row, but like most vehicles with a thrid row that area is cramped. Hope I was helpful, good luck with whichever you choose.

Bee iLL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Raven Black STS-V, 2010 Radiant Silver SRX Premium 2.8T

Not to bash on the SRX, but I do agree they could have used a more powerful engine. Coming from a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee as my daily driver, the one thing I noticed was you really need to step on the pedal to get the car moving… And I was test driving a Turbo. Once I actually got on the pedal, I thought acceleration was decent, but when I was trying to just ease into the acceleration like in my jeep, I felt like I was going nowhere fast. After driving it for about 10 minutes, I “learned” how to drive the SRX and all was fine. I think it just takes some getting used to if you are coming from a vehicle that doesn’t require you to step on it as much. When all was said and done, I will be picking up my Turbo SRX on Thursday.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

The turbo SRX should be the only option. Cadillacs that can't get out of their own way should be a thing of the past. At least the turbo option is available...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    I know that comment was aimed at me so
    allow me to respond...
    Actually, my comments were not aimed at you, nor at anyone in particular. I just find that my NON-TURBO SRX has plenty of pep and I don't get all the criticism...particularly from those who have "heard" or "read" about it. I'd venture to say that people shopping for a crossover vehicle are typically not as interested in performance, as long as the vehicle has decent acceleration--which the SRX does.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by RightTurn View Post
    Actually, my comments were not aimed at you, nor at anyone in particular. I just find that my NON-TURBO SRX has plenty of pep and I don't get all the criticism...particularly from those who have "heard" or "read" about it. I'd venture to say that people shopping for a crossover vehicle are typically not as interested in performance, as long as the vehicle has decent acceleration--which the SRX does.
    In most cases, if not nearly all, you're probably right. Most people are not "enthusiasts" and don't care about how a car performs. Look at all the Camry and Accord owners out there. Then there are people who feel that a Cadillac should be more than "decent" at everything. It's supposed to be the very best GM has to offer. I feel that acceleration in a Cadillac should be more than decent - but the media has probably made it more of an issue than it needs to be...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

You mentioned "Middle aged male Driver", but you neglected to say whether or not a spouse was in the picture. If so, then this is a no-brainer. Neither the SRX nor the Lexus RX350 can legally carry six passengers, as there are only seat belts for five. So unless you plan to always leave someone at home, consider something bigger.

As far as the power issue goes, yes the SRX is no dragster, but then again it's not intended to be. I would describe the acceleration as adequate. I predict next year's model will have either another engine as the standard engine, or the Turbo only. This will happen just because Cadillac wants to quell any bad publicity generated by the complaints.

Sube

I don't agree. The pressure is on GM and other car makers to provide economy...not power. IMO, the muscle-car years are quickly coming to a close. The focus is on MPG, not MPH.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.