2010 SRX Defective Struts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2010 SRX Defective Struts in Cadillac SRX Forums; As in my previous posts for the "Front End Thumping Noise" on my 2010 Cadillac SRX, GM/Cadillac has finally approved ...
    dsy@cox.net is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Performance AWD

Smile 2010 SRX Defective Struts

As in my previous posts for the "Front End Thumping Noise" on my 2010 Cadillac SRX, GM/Cadillac has finally approved the warranty work to diagnose the problem. The good news is, it seems that I have a defective passenger side front end strut with bad internal "veins" (Whatever that means). Apparently, there have been many compaints which has caused a redesign of the strut and hopefully that will be the solution. The bad news is that I have to wait for strut to be deisgned and produced. Hopefully none of you have this problem where every time you go over a bump, a rut or a dip in the road you hear a front end thumping noise? Hopefully it is just unique to me. At least now there is some light at the end of the tunnel! Finally the 2010 SRX will finally drive like a Cadillac. Also, thank you for your responses on my previous posts!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: 2010 SRX Defective Struts

That's good news, dsy! Hopefully this will all be resolved SOON.

Thank You RightTurn....Hopefully. The tech's over at the dealership say there might be a recall for the struts. Don't know yet?

Andy_TN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I saw your other thread and am now curious if we have a similar issue. There's a very subtle clunk coming from pass. front - can only hear it at low speed when going up the ramp in the parking garage or sometimes around a corner or over a bump. My wife has better ears than I though - I'm still trying to reproduce the sound so that the service advisor doesn't look at us like we're crazy. Will be following your progress, thanks for posting

Exactly my situation at low speeds but much worse! (It's like riding in an older car with bad ball joints or front end parts). On the highway it rides very smooth. I didn't want to cause a panic here on the forum, but it definitely is a strut problem and GM/Cadillac is aware of it and will have the strut replacement upgrade soon. Thanks and I will let you know as soon as it gets replaced.....whenever that is???

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by dsy@cox.net View Post
    It definitely is a strut problem and GM/Cadillac is aware of it and will have the strut replacement upgrade soon.
    I just want to see if I'm understanding this correctly. So, are you saying all SRX struts are defective, or does this only affect certain specific vehicles?

Sube

Certain struts may or may not make the noise. They also stressed it does not affect the safety of the vehicle. I have the SRX 3.0 Performance AWD Package. If your vehicle is not making the thumping noise and is riding smooth then there should be no issue. There is something about the "veins" in the struts that is not per say defective but inadequate to provided the soft and smooth ride a Cadillac should have. Hopefully I'm not causing wide spread panic on this forum, but my thumping was blatantly obvious and annoying, so hopefully that helps? No RECALL as of yet!

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

I would be asking them to at least replace the strut until the new and improved one comes in.
    It's not your fault, they have screwed up parts.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by GMJim View Post
    I would be asking them to at least replace the strut until the new and improved one comes in.
    It's not your fault, they have screwed up parts.
    Exactly!

The fact that we all do not have the same noise indicates there are struts of the existing design that are not defective. Why can't they give you one of these "until" they redesign them? Do they really expect you to suffer until they redesign the struts. By the time they go through design, manufacturing, testing and distribution of new parts, we could be talking about several months.

Sube

Very True. I just talked to the Service dept manager and the tech. I was mistaken about the "vein" thing, it is the "valving" in the strut? He actually diagnosed the problem was in the strut by putting those head phones on and hearing the thumping inside the strut. They have one of those machines that can re-create road bumps, etc. Bottom line is that I asked him that if all these other SRX owners are not having issues with their struts then chances are that if my struts were replaced with different new factory OEM struts in the interim, that it could cure the problem? They are going to get back to me with an answer. They must think I'm the biggest pain the neck in the world! But it is a real aggrevating and annoying noise and feeling. At least I can blast my 10 Bose speakers to drown out the noise....LOL!

nferr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Performance model has the "magnetic" electronic adjusting struts if I remember right. This probably doesn't affect all the SRX's with the "normal" struts.

xrs01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2

Quote Originally Posted by nferr View Post
    Performance model has the "magnetic" electronic adjusting struts if I remember right. This probably doesn't affect all the SRX's with the "normal" struts.
    Are you referring to "Sport Suspension System with Real-Time Damping"?

If so - the Cadillac website shows that this is not available on any FWD version, not available on the AWD Luxury, and standard on AWD Performance and Premium.

This may have something to do with my situation but I'll let the service tech's and GM figure it out. Hopefully the new struts will fix my problem.

retgi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Well I have the performance 2 wheel drive model and just started noticing a thumping noise from the front end only when doing a hard break. Even a hard break from 5 mph produces a thump from the front end. It does sound like an older car with bad ball joints. Occasionally there's some thumping from the rear end somewhere but have only heard it a couple times. Also, I really think the shift pattern is weird, seems to wind out more than it should. I'm now into 30 days of the GM 60 day guarantee and will see how things go a few more weeks but I'm having second thoughts about this purchase. Not to knock GM but my previous two vehicles were Fords (97' F150 and 03' Expedition which I traded in for the SRX) and never had any issues! I will take her in to the dealer and see what they have to say.

SRX Cool is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX AWD Performance

Hi all,

Well, with 6000 miles on my AWD Performance, I am noticing a "scrunching" noise coming from both sides of front end when going over some, not all bumps, but only when air temp is below about 20F. Colder weather brings this on, while a few days ago, same road, same bumps - no noise at 30F. Going to dealer next week for oil change, tire rotation, and will see what the result is.

SRX Cool

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.