Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Splash Guards

29K views 88 replies 36 participants last post by  DPV915 
#1 ·
I installed GM accessory part number 19170629 today. I was pleasantly surprised that they matched the finish,
texture, and contour of the vehicle really well. They went on without a hitch.
The rear used 3 existing fasteners, and the front used 3 existing fasteners plus two additional ones
that were provided. Two sided taped snugged to guards to the panels. All in all, well worth the money to me.
http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Ca...s - Front and Rear/?tx_gmshopb2b_pi1[type]=gm

See less See more
#37 ·
Bee iLL,

I really appreciate your extra effort in taking and posting the pictures. It even helps that we have the same color. Everyone probably thinks I'm crazy :cookoo:, but I think just having the front guards looks OK. I'm going to look at more pictures and mull it over a little longer.

Thanks!

#40 ·
I was pleased as well, compared to the flaps for the first gen SRX. They needed alot of modification to clear the muffler,
plus they looked like an after though. These look like they are part of the vehicle.

#44 ·
I agree. It is 50 degrees (feels like 80) in Michigan today. I got the hose out, and gave her a hand wash.
I was checking out the splash guards. They really look like they are part of the vehicle.
Not an after thought. I would recommend them to anyone.

#46 ·
Installed mine this afternoon after work. Love the way they blend in with the SRX, Especially the fronts that have the littlebump out that fits the indentation in the body lines. The rears were a PITA. Just so close to the rear tires that it hard to get the screws out. The fronts were a snap. Still loving the new car.

#49 ·
That is probably about right. I paid $78 at my dealership, but no shipping. With shipping, yours will probably run you around $70. I just hope they don't play bait and switch with you. I ordered a set of side assist steps ( running boards) for my 09 HHR from them. They came back and said sorry, they made a mistake , and the price was over a hundred dollars higher. I didn't take them, and they claimed they corrected the price. About a month later a lady on the HHR forum, ordered a set and they did the exact same thing to her. I don't consider them reputable for this reason and refuse to deal with them.

#50 ·
I can't stand having tar or road mud splashed on the sides of my cars, I have splash guards put on everything. I've never had to pay for them, when I reach a deal that I'm satisfied with, I simply tell the salesman, put on the splash guards and wax it, and you have a deal. Works every time. They even put them on my 07 EXT. This year however I did have to install them myself as they were not in stock so they mailed them to me free. I used an offset screwdriver to remove the screws and fortunately had a very small driver that fit the odd ball screws which I replaced with philips.

#51 ·
A recent excursion down a logging road after a rain.
Thanks goodness for mudflaps!

And Normandy's all squeaky clean already! :D

#52 ·
I'm about to install my flaps -- front and rear. The instructions call for some drilling for installing the front flaps. I think I can drill one hole by turning the front wheels, but the holes underneath the car will mean I'll have to get the car in the air a bit to get the drill motor in place. Questions...

1. Am I correct...do I have to get the car up in the air a bit to drill the lower hole? (I only have a standard drill motor...not a slim or right angle version)

2. If I have to lift the car, where's a good jack point near the front of the car?

Thanks, everyone!

#56 ·
I installed my splash guards today. Pretty simple and basic, but I thought I'd add some tips and tricks for the next guy who's going to tackle this project.

1. To drill the pilot holes up front, I used a very old, and therefore small, drill motor with the 3/32" bit inserted as far in as it would go. That gave me just enough clearance to get the drill under the car. You're just drilling into plastic, and if your drill motor is too large, a thin nail bent at a 90 degree angle, heated and pushed through the plastic, will do the trick for making a pilot hole. (Of course, use appropriate precautions when heating and handling the nail.) Also, if you want a little more room for your drill motor, drive the car up on to a 2" x 6" piece of lumber. That little bit of extra clearance might prove useful.

2. A stubby Phillips-head screw driver comes in handy. I found that even with my front wheels turned as far as they would go, a regular length screwdriver was difficult to maneuver. The stubby screwdriver made it a breeze.

3. The screws for the back guards are pretty close to the tire. Removing the wheels would have made it easier, but I decided to use an offset ratcheting screwdriver (pictured below) to get in behind the rear tires without having to remove them. It worked VERY well.

4. For some reason known only to GM, the screws that have to be removed from underneath the car, behind the rear wheels, are Torx T-15 screws. All of the rest of the screws used for the splash guard installation (including the ones you add after drilling in the front) are Phillips-head. If, like me, you can't find your Torx drivers, a 5/64" Allen-key wrench works just fine. (Of course, after I finished the project, I found my Torx drivers. :banghead:) You might consider going to your local auto parts store to see if they have some comparable Phillips-head screws and replace the Torx screws.

All-in-all a very worthwhile and simple project. The end result looks great!

I hope these tips/tricks are helpful!

Attachments

#60 ·
Purchased a set of splash guards from my GM dealer and installed them today. If I can do it anyone can. It might have taken 30 minutes with the use of a "GearWrench" and a stubby philips. Also, when doing the front just turn the front wheels tight right and then tight left. The screws that came with the kit were self tapping so no drilling was needed. They look great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.