GM/Cadillac SRX Warranty Repair Issue - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, GM/Cadillac SRX Warranty Repair Issue in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by dsy@cox.net Unfortunately, the defective valving issue in the affected struts still has not been rectified. I call ...
    sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: GM/Cadillac SRX Warranty Repair Issue

Quote Originally Posted by dsy@cox.net View Post
    Unfortunately, the defective valving issue in the affected struts still has not been rectified. I call GM Cadillac every day and inquire. My question is why can't they replace my two defective struts with OEM struts that are not of this defective batch. The thumping noise is getting progressively worse. It is to the point now that I drive the SRX to and from work only. I need to get to work so I can earn the money to pay for the SRX that I don't drive LOL...Ironic!! My frustration with their solution is coming to an end quickly. I've written letters, send e-mails and call every day which they do not return. At least return my call and say "we are still working on a solution"....not even that!! Don't get me wrong, I love the SRX because I know once this strut or front end noise issue is solved, I'll be able to drive it like a Cadillac Owner should.
    Just to clarify, in my previous post I made a point to use the word "identified", so as not to imply that the problem had been "rectified". When they were taking your calls, what did they say when you proposed just replacing the struts? Are you talking to your dealer as well as Cadillac? If so, what is the dealer saying?

This is making me angry and it's not even my car. I can only imagine your level of frustration.

Sube

dsy@cox.net is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Performance AWD

The dealer is behind me 100% as they were when I owned by 2008 CTS prior to this new SRX. They also need to protect their interests as to warranty repair if GM Cadillac's authorization doesn't come through as they will not be reimbursed, they are frustrated as well. And GM Cadillac has told them verbally not to do anything to the vehicle until they get back to them. I'm a little confused because although they identified the thumping sound coming from the front struts with the internal valving issue, I've heard remarks like it may be the A-Frames? I hope it's not the A-Frames because I can just imagine how long it will take GM Cadillac to authorize that work! Hopefully it is the struts. Whoever said "Patience is a Virtue" did not own a 2010 SRX with bad struts!!!

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

All I would say is that if they see an issue like this in the field, they have to identify the source, isolate the cause, and if needed re-engineer a part, get the change implemented by whoever is making these for us and then build up some stock... which if they put a change into production will take even longer since they will use that on the assembly line too.

That can take some time. If it is deemed to be "not dangerous" they might ask you to continue driving it. Not sure about the specifics of this situation but...

Once we call GM TAC (technical assistance center) our hands are often tied.
    They can summarily deny any warranty claim that we were not instructed to perform by TAC or an engineer.
    If the problem is in the part, getting a new part from GM stock might just temporarily fix it, leave it the same, or Heaven forbid make it worse.
    Without more information it is hard to say.

With a side note of sarcasm... I could say you can always trade it in on a new Toyota...
    (sorry... just kidding around)

I know it sucks but try to be patient and by all means call them every day and ask if they have made any progress.

Thank You for your input "ewill3rd", I appreciate it. I just don't understand why they can't authorize two replacement OEM struts that are not defective? It seems there are alot of SRX's out there without this strut problem, therefore non-defective struts are also out there. Wouldn't you think?

I think the problem here is that the source of the concern is unknown and it sounds like they suspect production parts.
    Yeah it could be a shock, but it could be the knuckle, a control arm bushing, a sway bar link.... it is hard to say.
    Just because one does it and others don't doesn't mean that getting new parts will fix it, if that makes sense. It could be (COULD) a production issue and they want to get it rectified. You'd have to admit if they fixed it and it came right back you'd be just as upset if not even moreso.
    Maybe everyone's does it (not to the same degree) but they don't notice it yet.
    From what I have seen and heard it sounds like they have initiated an engineering investigation which unfortunately takes time.
    If they weren't working on a fix they would be having your dealership replace parts. As I said it sounds like they are trying to figure it out and get parts they KNOW will fix it rather than spend resources on something that might not.

While I understand you'd like them to attempt something just consider all the things they are trying to balance.
    If I hear of anything I'll certainly speak up....

I didn't show you this... (This is a PI, which is non-published information) it kind of confirms what I have been saying.
    Condition/Concern:
    You may encounter a noise coming from the front suspension that is descbribed as "a loose lumber noise" or a "ball dribbling" type noise.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    Inspect the suspension components to confirm there are no loose components.
    Confirm that the noise is not related to front brake pad rattle that is reviewed in PIT4891.
    If NO issues are found related to either of the above steps, DO NOT replace suspension parts for this concern. Engineering is aware of the issue and working toward a fix. This PI will be updated when new parts become available.

I understand where you are coming from. I totally love this 2010 SRX and understand a new "Generation" Vehicle such as the SRX is going to have glitches and issues that need to be ironed out. But look at it from the Customer's/Consumer's point of view. Take yourself out of the Automotive World and what if you purchased a nice Samsung or Sony Big Screen TV that made loud static noises every 15 to 30 seconds, pretty aggrevating and annoying isn't it. Now you call the Manufacturer and they tell you "We are working on a fix".....? I know what you are thinking "Apples and Oranges" not the same as the Customer Assistance Rep over at GM/ Cadillac told me.

Belive me, I know where you are at.
    I am totally sympathetic to customer's plights and I have seen some harrowing stuff.
    I am not saying at all that you are wrong for feeling the way you do, in fact I totally agree.

I am kind of a weird guy though, I really like GM and I have since I was a little kid. People might think I am goofy but I am not a mechanic because I couldn't hack it in another industry, I do it because it is what I love and I work for the company that I want to work for and try to support them.
    Do they do stupid stuff? Sure.
    I am not trying to protect them from their customers, I am just trying to share my perspective.
    Most people on here get that and I appreciate it. You should be frustrated, and they should be able to do something to make you happy. I am just speaking with the voice of experience and offering my perspective.

I hate to be able to say this but historically speaking GM has always been sloppy with new vehicle releases. The CTS was the most concentrated effort I have seen GM put forth on the release of a new model car. The controls were very tight on production, transport, delivery, and right on down the line and they really impressed people with that effort. They are not doing that with SRX and it is a shame. From my seat it looks like we are back to the same game of getting it in production and letting the customers find the glitches. It really irritates me when they do that but as I said, I can't think of a new car GM has made in the 40 years of my lifetime (besides CTS) where that didn't happen. Lots of people will tell you not to buy a first year car for that very reason.
    We usually get it all worked out by the time production stops on a carline...

All that being said, the only thing I want you to come away from this with is the understanding that GM is doing it their way, they are indeed working on a fix, and it is up to your dealer to stay in communication with you about it and work to get it fixed as fast as they can, even though it may not be fast enough from your point of view. Their hands are really tied until GM does what they are going to do.
    I know we as dealers represent GM but... they don't ask us for advice when they make decisions and we don't build the cars or the parts to fix them. We are subject to doing the best we can to fix them with what they give us and sometimes it isn't enough.
    I do have a channel of communication and me and a few guys I know have worked hard to make some real changes in the way things happen and it is so much nicer when they listen to us out here in the field.
    I won't even go into some of the new issues we face... unless you want me to vent...

At any rate, as I said, if I hear of a status update on this issue I'll post it.

Thanks ewill3rd. I totally appreciate your input and sharing your knowledge with me. I respect what you do as I do the Service Dept at my dealership. I know their hands are tied with warranty work. It's just a shame that I keep a $45K+ SRX in my garage more than I drive it. If and when this issue is resolved I am going to drive this SRX for days and start enjoying what everybody on this Forum seems to be doing. I will keep everyone posted.

You are most welcome, I hope they find this fix soon.
    Those are beautiful cars and it is a shame when stuff like this happens.
    At least it won't get parking lot dings in the garage!!

glittrnglitz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 srx

Did you get your vehicle fied ines had the same proble and I got the new struts a week 1/2 ago.. they seem quiter but im still listening to make sure i dont hear anything...

CONGRATULATIONS! Aren't you glad they had a fix? Hope they work for you. It's been 3 weeks ago for me and still no noise. My SRX is driving like a Cadillac should which makrs me happy

Ufgators is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Srx

I have 2010 srx with 22000 miles still under warranty until the end of the year. is it possible for the dealer to check all systems and repair what ever is needed before warranty expired? I would
    like to check the fuel system the car a bit at 85mph and pull to the right slightly
    hesitate

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yes that is a very common request that we often get from customers about to move on out of the warranty period

it also helps if you have any specific things that you want to have looked at
    if the complaint gets documented as a concern under the warranty period the repair is still covered even if the dealer doesn't get the repair done until after the warranty expires
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Ufgators is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Srx

Greeting Chris
    I currently have all original 18" wheel on my SRX. If I upgrade to 20" wheels and tires would that void the warranty? will road noise increase even more? thanx

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the warranty question is best directed at your dealer who would be claiming any warranty issues with GM for you. Typically tires and the tread design of the tire have more to do with road noise than the wheels

in general any (aftermarket) modification/accessory that is added to you car can void the warranty for any repair if the modification/accessory causes the failure
    technically GM has to prove that your modification caused the failure but you would have to sue them and take them to court to force them to prove it
    things rarely go that far though

wheels are a common enough thing that people do to their cars that it is probably no big deal ... but again, talk to your dealer
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.