Gear Indicator on Console
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Gear Indicator on Console in Cadillac SRX Forums; I notice when I shift gears, there is no "indicator" on the gear shift console. No light, no little marker ...
    RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Question Gear Indicator on Console

I notice when I shift gears, there is no "indicator" on the gear shift console. No light, no little marker pointing at "D" or "R"...nothing. The only indicator is on the dashboard. Is this typical? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

Re: Gear Indicator on Console

For the SRX, yes. The Department of Redundancy Department didn't want the Gear Indicator, on the dash twice (DIC LCD Display, and in the tach), and then again on the console. I have to admit, it did catch me off guard too. I actually didn't know what gear i was in, when going from sport trying to find reverse (i didn't count the clicks, 2nd test drive)! I looked at the Tach DIC and shifted from there... a little odd if you ask me i guess.

OK then. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to make a service appt. (I'd prefer having the indicator on the console, and backlit...but what-ever.)

mw1862 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX (FWD Performance Model)

Having just checked my displays, I have a gear selection display in the tach module, although it only displays the actual gear in Sport Mode. In the DIC I only have an odometer although 4-30 states that I should also see what position the shift lever is in. I wonder if that is a version for Canada?

The LCD display will only show gear selection on certain screens, but your tach display should be showing all the time, it is "supposed" to be your main display for gear selection. US or Can. The only thing that changes for Canada, is we get km/h, and some slightly different gauges on the right.
    Man this IC is beautiful...

US Cluster Shown

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

The Impala I rented last week had no lights nor indicators on the shift lever. All dash...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Same here RT. Just on the cluster.

Hey see, we can be friends!

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Safter That Way

Yeah, since you brought it up I've notice this on other newer cars too. Must be a new trend. I kinda think they may have intentionally designed it like that because they want you looking up when you shift gears. Even if you're not looking directly out the windshield, you can still see what's in front of you with your peripheral vision. It's a lot safer than looking down while shifting, especially since a lot of people have a tendency to start rolling before they look back up.

Sube

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

Captain, Have you got your vehicle, or is it still coming? If you do not, wait until you see the IC in action.

She is still on her way. I'm going to call the dealer in the next couple days to see if my order status has updated. I was at 2000 (Plant Received order) on Dec 24. !! The excitment is killing me! I already have a mesh grille on the way, and weathertech floor mats, and already have an SRX plate surround, and a Diamond Gloss/3M/Tint shop picked out and ready to go to town on mine!

I thought about just sending the grill from where i bought it to the plant with a note saying "Put this grille on this SRX VIN: xxx" LOL

I can't wait to see your grill installed, Capt.

smiley47 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon Black Diamond Tri-Coat

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    She is still on her way. I'm going to call the dealer in the next couple days to see if my order status has updated. I was at 2000 (Plant Received order) on Dec 24. !! The excitment is killing me! I already have a mesh grille on the way, and weathertech floor mats, and already have an SRX plate surround, and a Diamond Gloss/3M/Tint shop picked out and ready to go to town on mine!

I thought about just sending the grill from where i bought it to the plant with a note saying "Put this grille on this SRX VIN: xxx" LOL
    My dealer is quoting $1695 for the mesh grills installed (upper and lower). Is that the "going" price or should I shop around?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

RT when did you get an SRX?!

It is a pretty standard deal these days, you only get one display.

It has been a long time since I looked down at a console to check what gear I am in, but then again I drive like 10 cars a day so....

Nutz is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V a tuxedo with a jetpack!

There was a story in the mid 90's in Manhattan about a person who looked DOWN to move the gear selector and rolled forward 10 feet out of a parking spot. As the driver was looking up to drive away, a homeless person was already under the bumper in the parking lot, and perished. Since then it has been a focus of most manufacturer's to keep the driver's head up when shifting into gear.
    The 09 Cts-V is also without console illuminated markers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.