need to access 12v from rear view mirror
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, need to access 12v from rear view mirror in Cadillac SRX Forums; I'm wanting to access a 12V point for my radar detector preferably from the rear view mirror. Has anyone done ...
    retgi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

need to access 12v from rear view mirror

I'm wanting to access a 12V point for my radar detector preferably from the rear view mirror. Has anyone done this or know how to gain access to the inside of mirror. I'm sure I could easily access the 12V at the overhead panel where the interior lights are but prefer a point in the mirror.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: need to access 12v from rear view mirror

On the 2008+ CTS forum someone did a nice write-up on installing a radar detector where he tapped into the plug in the back. I just ran a wire up through the conduit (fabric) and ran the wire where I needed it through the headliner. If that would interest you.

Thanks and I'll do that if I have to but if I knew how to get the mirror open to access its power then the wiring wouldn't be seen at all on the SRX.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Lol, this ad was at the top of the page. Mounts to put the detector under the mirror.
    http://www.mgtmotorsports.com/?gclid...FWkN5QodjQxj7w

You're radar detector didn't come with a hardwire kit? My Beltronics Driver STi did. So i just run it under the dash to a 12V source, then hide the wire all the way up to the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Lol, this ad was at the top of the page. Mounts to put the detector under the mirror.

You're radar detector didn't come with a hardwire kit? My Beltronics Driver STi did. So i just run it under the dash to a 12V source, then hide the wire all the way up to the mirror.
    Well yes it did and I plan to use the blendmount kit as well. My question concerns finding the closest 12V access so as not to have any visible wires.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Ahh, just hide the wires behind the panels on the way up. The roof material should pull down a pinch, the A pillar, the left side (vertical) of the dash should probably pop off, but i can't say for sure, because i haven't studied the SRX up close yet...

But if yours has homelink and the OnStar mirror, there might be a close enough tap point in there...

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

[QUOTE=TheCaptain;2110315]Lol, this ad was at the top of the page. Mounts to put the detector under the mirror.

Check your state laws before you buy any of these. In PA anything (yes, even air fresheners) attached to the interior rear-view mirror is illegal. I would bet most other states have similar laws. While the radar detector itself might be legal, you could receive a citation for the illegal mount.

Just some food for thought.

By the way, there is another 12V outlet at the back of the compartment under the climate controls.

Sube

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Ahh, just hide the wires behind the panels on the way up. The roof material should pull down a pinch, the A pillar, the left side (vertical) of the dash should probably pop off, but i can't say for sure, because i haven't studied the SRX up close yet...

But if yours has homelink and the OnStar mirror, there might be a close enough tap point in there...
    Yes, that's what I'm talking about! I do have the Onstar mirror and wanted to access the 12v there. Not to run it thru the A pillar!

kylooch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6 DI, RWD, 6-Speed Manual, NAV, Summer Pkg. '11 CTS-V?

You can get power straight off the mirror, and it's switched power as well.

Companies such as invisiblecord make kits that work with the onstar mirrors. I had one in my '08 CTS and it worked nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by kylooch View Post
    You can get power straight off the mirror, and it's switched power as well.

Companies such as invisiblecord make kits that work with the onstar mirrors. I had one in my '08 CTS and it worked nicely.
    On this 2010 SRX there is no visible wiring harness on the back side of mirror to tap into as it's all enclosed. I can make my own invisicord but will have to tap into the overhead console, thanks....

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

I was wondering the same thing. In my CTS-V I tapped into the 12v in the mirror. As I was looking at our SRX it looks much more difficult. Granted I did not start trying to pull off any of the plastic coverings.
    If anyone successfully taps in please post.

Bee iLL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Raven Black STS-V, 2010 Radiant Silver SRX Premium 2.8T

Got the cover off, now just going to figure out how to remove the plugs without breaking them... Tried sliding a piece of 22 AWG solid into the back of the plugs but it is too tight. I'll post back when I've figured it out and what wires are 12v and ground. In the interim, here are some pics and instructions on how to remove the cover. VERY easy!
    1. The cover
    SRX_Mirror 001.jpg
    2. At the bottom of the cover is a little opening you can fit a screw driver into. I used a panel remover instead which worked great, but I understand most people don’t own a set. You might want to fold a piece of cardboard or soft rag over the screwdriver as not to damage anything. Just give it a little force and it should pop right off. Now you can continue going around the edge of the cover popping all the clips.
    SRX_Mirror 004.jpg
    SRX_Mirror 005.jpg
    3. Now the cover should just separate into two pieces so you can remove it from the mirror.
    SRX_Mirror 006.jpg
    SRX_Mirror 007.jpg
    11RavenBlack and 11RavenBlack like this.

Bee iLL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Raven Black STS-V, 2010 Radiant Silver SRX Premium 2.8T

Okay, gave up on trying to remove the plug. I took a small pair of needle nose pliers and forced the 22 AWG solid into the back of the plug. Off the middle plug you can pull on the cable going under the roof lining and get some more slack. Switched 12V is pin 3 and Ground is pin 6. Pin 3 is the hardest to access as you have to pull down on the wire bundle to get access to it. Here are some pics.

SRX_Mirror 002.jpg

SRX_Mirror 008.jpg

SRX_Mirror 012.jpg

SRX_Mirror 018.jpg
    11RavenBlack and 11RavenBlack like this.

mw1862 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX (FWD Performance Model)

Pictures are really worth a thousand words. Thanks.

Good work!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.