Cadillac Owners Forum banner

need to access 12v from rear view mirror

16K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  omnivore54 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to access a 12V point for my radar detector preferably from the rear view mirror. Has anyone done this or know how to gain access to the inside of mirror. I'm sure I could easily access the 12V at the overhead panel where the interior lights are but prefer a point in the mirror.

#2 ·
On the 2008+ CTS forum someone did a nice write-up on installing a radar detector where he tapped into the plug in the back. I just ran a wire up through the conduit (fabric) and ran the wire where I needed it through the headliner. If that would interest you.

#4 ·
Lol, this ad was at the top of the page. Mounts to put the detector under the mirror.
http://www.mgtmotorsports.com/?gclid=CNqyqJWJjp8CFWkN5QodjQxj7w

You're radar detector didn't come with a hardwire kit? My Beltronics Driver STi did. So i just run it under the dash to a 12V source, then hide the wire all the way up to the mirror.

#6 ·
Ahh, just hide the wires behind the panels on the way up. The roof material should pull down a pinch, the A pillar, the left side (vertical) of the dash should probably pop off, but i can't say for sure, because i haven't studied the SRX up close yet...

But if yours has homelink and the OnStar mirror, there might be a close enough tap point in there...

#11 ·
I was wondering the same thing. In my CTS-V I tapped into the 12v in the mirror. As I was looking at our SRX it looks much more difficult. Granted I did not start trying to pull off any of the plastic coverings.
If anyone successfully taps in please post.

#12 ·
Got the cover off, now just going to figure out how to remove the plugs without breaking them... Tried sliding a piece of 22 AWG solid into the back of the plugs but it is too tight. I'll post back when I've figured it out and what wires are 12v and ground. In the interim, here are some pics and instructions on how to remove the cover. VERY easy!
1. The cover
Electronic device Technology

2. At the bottom of the cover is a little opening you can fit a screw driver into. I used a panel remover instead which worked great, but I understand most people don’t own a set. You might want to fold a piece of cardboard or soft rag over the screwdriver as not to damage anything. Just give it a little force and it should pop right off. Now you can continue going around the edge of the cover popping all the clips.
Technology Plastic Electronic device Electric blue

Technology Electronic device Gadget Floor

3. Now the cover should just separate into two pieces so you can remove it from the mirror.
Auto part

Automotive exterior Bumper

#13 ·
Okay, gave up on trying to remove the plug. I took a small pair of needle nose pliers and forced the 22 AWG solid into the back of the plug. Off the middle plug you can pull on the cable going under the roof lining and get some more slack. Switched 12V is pin 3 and Ground is pin 6. Pin 3 is the hardest to access as you have to pull down on the wire bundle to get access to it. Here are some pics.

Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

Electrical wiring Wire Technology Cable Electronic device

Wire Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Auto part

Helmet Personal protective equipment Auto part Fictional character

#18 ·
Mega-kudos! Good work with very detailed pix. No need for the Birth Certificate! LOL

Tks for posting, especially the pin numbers!

Now, just don't drive in VA.........ALL Radar Detectors ILLEGAL, and I hear ........confiscated on sight! :banghead:

SS

#22 ·
I swapped the mirror in my Avalanche for a rear view mirror with a back up monitor in it. It was a lot easier than the SRX mirror though. One word of experience and that is get the largest monitor size you can. anything smaller than 3.5 inches is of no use. Especially when backing up in bright sunlight from the front area. It makes the picture too hard to see. Also, do NOT buy one if it doesn't have brightness and color controls on it. The one in the SRX doesn't and we all know how poor a picture it is and there is nothing we can do about it. There are many on the market so watch whom you buy from for warranty reasons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.