Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2010 SRX front end thumping noise

35K views 78 replies 34 participants last post by  Dandealer7 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2010 SRX AWD Performance Pkg and have been experiencing a thumping noise from the front end every time I hit a bump, a rut or dip in the road! First it started on the passenger front side and now the drivers side front end is also doing it. It is very annoying and is not how a Cadillac Product should perform. GM and Cadillac have been informed but can't authorize service technicians to attempt a repair until they figure out what it can be. I'm told that if the a-frame gets replaced it should be the solution, but enough compaints must occur before the repair is authorized under warranty. I'm hoping that I'm not the only one experiencing this thumping noise? Help.....Annoyed in Connecticut!

#5 ·
That's my fear, that it's unique to my SRX. The Service Tech's and the Service Mgr took it for a test drive and confirmed the thumping but everything checks out underneath where the sway bars attach to the A-Frame and everything is road safe but it's annoying where it's embarrassing to give someone a ride with that thumping noise. Oh well.....maybe Cadillace will come through and approve the work under warranty. Thanks for the replies!

#8 ·
Of course they should "approve the work under warranty." Unless you have been in a collision or done some other warranty-defeating modifications, you have "bumper-to-bumper" protection. How long have you had the car and how many miles? Are you eligible for the 60-day return?

I don't understand this from your initial post: "... GM and Cadillac have been informed but can't authorize service technicians to attempt a repair until they figure out what it can be. I'm told that if the a-frame gets replaced it should be the solution, but enough compaints must occur before the repair is authorized under warranty." That is TOTAL BS and you should be escalating this to Cadillac ASAP. ANY problem you have with that vehicle should be fixed under warranty, regardless of whether anyone else has the same issue. Good luck to you.

#9 ·
Thanks for your reply. You are absolutely right, they should try to daignose what the problem is. They checked every part of the front end and everything is where it is supposed to be as well as any safety concerns. I did not mean to say the A-frame so much as to say the sway bar bushings attached to a-frame? Both the service mgr and service tech do agree the noise is present but again everything checks out. I have escalalated this as a priority with GM/Cadillac and they are aware but do not have a sense of urgency to repair or come up with a solution. I drove it off the lot with the thumping noise but it has been getting much worse as of late, plus it's only 3 weeks since I took delivery of the SRX. One thing I want to mention is, that I pruchased the vehicle from a cross state dealership on the other side of Connecticut based on their inventory volume, but am trying to have it repaired or diagnosed locally at a dealership with impeccable service. Now you see my frustration.

#10 ·
Did you waive the 60-day return? As for service at a different dealer...that should make no difference. They are all interested in making service $$ and they do get paid for warranty repairs.

And...you should NEVER have taken delivery of a thumping vehicle. :nono: I'm sorry for your frustration.

#11 ·
Yes waived the 60 day turn-in. As for taking delivery, unfortunately it was not noticeable on my test drive and when I purchased it I jumped right on the highway where it does not do the thumping noise. I did discuss with the service mgr at the dealership I purchased the SRX from, and he is 100% supportive but it seems that there must be a numerous amount of complaints before they can approve warranty work especially if everything checks out and to avoid experimental repair solutions and especially because it is a new SRX generation vehicle with many unknowns. I have all the confidence in the world of the service dept where I'm bringing it now. Hopefully GM/Cadillac will approve at least the sway bar bushings to be replaced and start somewhere relatively cheap?

#12 ·
Well, obviously the thumping isn't causing the service manager to be alarmed about the safety or driveability of the car. But personally I would be VERY unhappy with that response. I have been dealing with the same dealership for several years and they know me there...I would not accept anything less than FIX IT. :lol: (And if I felt unsafe in the vehicle, I'd leave it with them and get a loaner until it was resolved.)

#15 ·
I am experiencing the thumping noise too. It first was noticable in the right front. Now it is on both sides. I feel it in the gas pedal and at times it is louder than my radio. It is loudest at low speeds. My dealer tells me they cannot replace any suspension parts due to GM Document 2385039. They tell me to check back in a couple months to see if a fix is engineered. This is unacceptable. I have now sent 2 requests to Cadillac through their web conatc page, and they still have not contacted me. When you buy a Cadillac, you expect more out of the car and the company. Why buy a premium vehicle if it behaves like a Pinto????:nono:

#16 ·
As crazy as it sounds, Cadillac has instructed dealers to not keep replacing front suspension components for cars that exhibit this issue, as that will just run up costs and not fix the problem - they are putting new fixes into production as we speak, and are working on getting a good service fix ready. Stay tuned, and I'll provide any updates I might hear.:helpless:

#17 ·
UPDATE. So they finally replaced the front strut bushings. I am told this is the new engineered fix. So far, over 3-weeks later it has worked. They had the car for 9 days, had a Cadillac rep come to town. The rep was not going to authorize the fix. Just before calling me on day 4 of the car in the shop, the service manager took the car for a spin. He told Cadillac he could not return this car to the customer in that condition. They finally got authorization to install the fix. Since the problem didn't originally occur until 4000 miles, I will monitor the issue and post if this is the ultimate fix. I plan to take the car on a trip and will rack up abut 3000 miles on that trip. Stay tuned.

#18 ·
Great news KWD! I've been following you as I may have heard it on my SRX once? Thx for posting the info.

I had similar prob once in 1998, and a squirt of WD40 on suspected bushings fixed it for a few days! That's how GM diagnosed it back then.

Good luck with it. I will be flipping if mine sounds like a Maxwell House coffee pot as I drive..:nono:

SS

#19 ·
I feel your pain KWD. I purchased my srx in march and have been back to the dealer at least 5 times for the noise in the front suspension. By the third visit, they changed the top mounts(left and right), but problem is still there. Then, a field engineer did tests for 3 days and assured me that they will change the whole left strut if they have to. Subsequently, I was told they couldn't get the part. After doing more sound tests, on the fifth visit, they think they may only have to change the shock absorbers. Basically, I am losing faith. I have asked them to replace my srx with a new one. I also read the document ID:2385039. It was dated Jan.20/2010. We are in Sept. and there is still no fix.
I thought I was upgrading when I returned my Pontiac G6.

#21 ·
There have been numerous attempts to fix the thumping noise from my front suspension on my 2010 SRX. GM is offering to change my SRX. The dealer says that the same noise may occur on the 2011 model. The dealer is proposing I exchange my SRX for a CTS sedan or wagon. I would rather get my money back.

#22 ·
I beleive the problem is in the shock strut assembly. The nut on top of the shock is not tight. It may look tight but it really is not. The only way to check this is to remove the shock strut from the car and release the spring pressure. Remove the nut and then retighten the nut. You must hold the shock piston rod to keep it from spinning when the nut is tightened. This is the hard part because there is only a small area to hold the rod. Most people just use a impact wrench and do not hold the rod and expect this to work. The same holds true for both the front and rear shocks. When the tech's replace the rubber stops they are basically doing the same thing. Have your tech's remove the assembly, take the shock strut apart and then reassemble. Have them take make sure that the nut is secured with the shock piston rod held by mechanical means. Good luck having your representive try this. Bring this post to them and see what they think. It should take about one hour per shock to do the procedure.

#27 ·
First, let me say how grateful I am to have found this forum. I live in North Texas area, purchased a 2010 SRX in July. Love it but about a month ago, started hearing this front, driver side thumping noise, particularly after breaking or manuevering a hard right. Finally was able to take it in this morning (now at 6200 miles) to have it looked at. Rec'd a call from Cadillac Service informing me "GM is aware of the problem but there is no current fix. Therefore, your car is ready for pick-up and once a fix is available, we'll be sure to give you a call."

Now, I am a woman, and I transport my two toddlers around in this vehicle. When I heard that reply, I was babbled. I called the guy back. He assured me it was not a safety issue, merely an annoyance, if anything. I have yet to return their loaner. Can I demand that they fix the issue before I return the loaner? I just do not feel safe in this car, particularly since I spend a deal of time on the road. Any advice would be much appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.