Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2010 SRX front end thumping noise

35K views 78 replies 34 participants last post by  Dandealer7 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2010 SRX AWD Performance Pkg and have been experiencing a thumping noise from the front end every time I hit a bump, a rut or dip in the road! First it started on the passenger front side and now the drivers side front end is also doing it. It is very annoying and is not how a Cadillac Product should perform. GM and Cadillac have been informed but can't authorize service technicians to attempt a repair until they figure out what it can be. I'm told that if the a-frame gets replaced it should be the solution, but enough compaints must occur before the repair is authorized under warranty. I'm hoping that I'm not the only one experiencing this thumping noise? Help.....Annoyed in Connecticut!

#28 ·
The Dealers are looking for guidance too. They must follow GM guidelines to get reimbursed for their efforts. I'd print out the fixes above, (from KWD & BWCLEMONS) that have been working for several weeks, and bring it to them. Ask them to take a look at these resolutions and offer to let them try it, even if it takes a few days. Coming off as reasonable and a "partner" in resolving this matter benefits both of you and their other customers as well. Point this out with a smile. Other than yelling "Lemon Law" that's probably your best bet. Demanding a loaner will not work. And it truly is not a danger to drive, as is. BUT I'd hate it too!

If your Dealer will NOT consider either of these 2 fixes, I'd politely request a District Supervisor be consulted and an "exception" be made to everyone's mutual benefit. Or, if you feel uncomfortable with them, just take it to a different Dealer and ask if they could look at it and review your print-out of solutions from our forum. Promise to be a loyal customer if they can accommodate you. They may be very interested in our fixes........

Good luck
SS

PS..... several years ago I appealed to my Dealer that my new Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (rare performance option model with lowered suspension) had way too soft rear springs and I bottomed out everytime I took my elderly parents to Church, (true !) where there was small speed bumps that I couldn't go slow enough to prevent it! A great sympathetic Service Mgr test drove it and agreed it was that bad. He swapped in a set of rear springs from a new Pontiac Bonneville (larger car) when he saw I would be reasonable to work with, and appreciate any creative solutions he would attempt w/o complaining about "down time" etc. I made it clear I wouldn't complain if the car was a bit higher in rear, than stock height, due to his efforts. It was when finished, a tiny bit higher, the problem was 95% resolved and I thanked him for his ingenuity and told the Dealer Owner as well! We loved the car and were willing to make concessions to get it resolved.

#31 ·
I bought by SRX in August this year and I had a terrible sales experience. I was pushing my husband to stick with BMW, but agreed to go with the less expensive Cadillac option. About three weeks after buying the SRX, I started noticing the popping/thumping noise in the front drivers side. As most users posted, it happens when slowing or making right turns. My service department is now on round three - ordering parts. They "think" they will figure it out, but I am so disgusted with this whole process. I will NEVER buy another Cadillac and will NEVER recommend them to anyone else. I have zero tolerance for multiple trips to service departments and a pure lack of service knowledge. The mere fact that this thread exists and it appears there are "fixes" that my service department is completely unaware of, only serves to fuel my anger. Overall, thank you for posting this information - its nice to know that at least the consumers of Cadillac are responsible.

#32 ·
Folks.. dont want to rub it in OR jinx my ride. We bought our Lexus RX 350 in June. Have been to the dealer thrice after that -
1) To do a 5000 miles service
2) Repair a ding that I got parked in Brooklyn
3) Nail in the rear tire.
The quality of a Lexus is amazing. I remember we had our 2004 SRX (long story, if someone wants to read do a search) which I had to take back perhaps 10 times in 4 months to the dealership.
I have dealt with GM in my professional work. These guys just are arrogant.

#35 ·
Why don't all you rice rocket lovers take your Caddys and trade them and then you can leave our forum and spread hate and discontent on other forums. I personally LOVE our SRX and am completely satisfied with it. Of course i am just an ignorant old refinery worker, so what do I know.

#41 ·
That's right Pony. And you're seeing how stellar they are with the crappy software we have to endure in the SRX. You wouldn't believe how many Indian programmers I have trained on the very software I have written just to watch them screw it up. You get what you pay for.

Let them send my job to India. I have a medical background to fall back on. Let's watch 'em outsource that. LOL!!

#46 ·
Dealerships got no money at all from the bailout - NONE

and we would still be in business if GM had failed. We're a repair facility and we have a customer base that trusts in us to fix their vehicles correctly at a fair price. We have a reputation and we don't need the GM logo on a sign on the road to validate our existence (although it does help)

#47 ·
Dealerships got no money at all from the bailout - NONE

and we would still be in business if GM had failed. We're a repair facility and we have a customer base that trusts in us to fix their vehicles correctly at a fair price. We have a reputation and we don't need the GM logo on a sign on the road to validate our existence (although it does help)
What does your dealership charge for an oil and filter change? I'm curious because soon my SRX will be due and I want a price point comparison.

#51 ·
and just to break it down for clarity
we charge $6 flat for any GM car's oil filter (only cars with expensive filters like BMW and MB pay more than $6 for their filter)
we charge $14 for dino oil, $30 for dexos-1 and $50 for mobil1 (4-8 quarts all the same flat oil pricing)

... so people w/ N* engines get the hookup w/ cheap oil prices
and people w/ cars that have expensive oil filters also get a sweet deal (saturn astra, 03 cts, and the turbo srx have like $20 oil filters)

#53 ·
also, in an attempt to bring this thread back on topic
i talked to our suspension guru today and asked him if we've had any of these mysterious thumping noises or any kind of noises in 2nd gen SRX vehicles come into our shop

he said not a single one... so whatever this is it's not widespread at all

#54 ·
Thanks Rippy. Always helps to hear the truth from someone on the front line so to speak. I also have seen those 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 at Walmart and wondered. I always get mine changed at the dealership. Decent price, and there is a service record for future problems, or future owners to refer to. We will be getting our first oil change in a month or so. Dealership gave us the first one free. Nice to hear the clunking isn't widespread. We haven't had that or any problems with ours besides the dreaded chrome strip.

#58 ·
I bought a 2010 SRX all wheel 4 luxury, all good until front end noises I could not live with, about 10,000 miles, I read many of these nightmare stories here on this blog. I thought here we go, I took the car in still under warranty and the SRX mechanic Bob Taylor and service rep Laura at Montrose Caddilac in Hermitage Pa. took over , I was offered a car while mine was getting fixed, found and changed weak power steering pump, lines and main steering gears, sat back outside in the cold, still noisey the next morning, the dealership kept the car all good with me. Next step change the upper strut mounts new design, all fixed. The upper strut mounts were inferior and not heavy duty enough the NEW ones fixed all noises in the steering. I looked at the original upper strut mounts they took out of the car and they were pretty much destroyed on the under side compressed like a pancake the bearings destroyed. The NEW mounts are much more applicable for the vehicle. No noises and the Dealership Montrose Caddilac where I bought the SRX treated me right got to say.. All the best to there Crew.

#61 ·
This is typical of ponyboy. He spouts the GM line and anyone who has issues with their car is a whiner. Why do you suppose the forum exists? So the owners can tell their individual experiences and see if others have had the same one and if there is a fix for it. Every car forum I have been on has people who have had bad cars including Porsche's and BMW's and their inputs help others decide what to do. I had a great Tahoe until one of the many warning lights came on and then found out what GM does when the computer in your car does not give them the quick fix answer code. They go the replacement route.The bills will rack up so fast it will make you dizzy. Get the extended warranty if you plan on keeping the car for longer than the OEM warranty.

#63 ·
I have a 2010 srx and it thumps all over.It even thumps or rattles on level smooth roads here in VA.It has 26000 miles.Last winter the front struts groaned in cold wheather.Lindsay fixed that now it ratttles all over.I think the car needs new redesigned struts and none to be had.Will end up a recall someday I hope.

#64 · (Edited)
If you look at ponymans statement here you will see what I was talking about. He has gone after me because I was concerned about damage to the front spoiler and was looking for a simple solution. Here is ponyman's attack on anyone whom he disagrees with. If it weren't for forums like this where the flaws of our SRX's are exposed then there would be no fixes to the future models. None of us can know all the little things that are wrong with a new car until you have owned it and driven it. It is at that point that GM should step up and listen to the owners complaints.

*info deleted*
*Moderator note: Unnecessary to dig up old posts and repost.*

#65 ·
Inspectorrudy and Ponyman, Live and let be please. Forums are here for multiple types of information, good and bad. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt.

We're all looking out for each other here. :)

G
#67 ·
I have 27,000 miles on my 2010 srx and this thumping noise just started. They replaced the struts & lower control arms and the noise did NOT go away. They had the
vehicle for 3 weeks and now it looks like I'm bringing it back again. Very disappointed in this cadillac product !

#69 ·
Hello srx1954,

I am sorry that you needed to take your vehicle back in for service because the noise didn’t go away in your SRX. Do you have any further updates regarding this appointment you had recently?

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Cadillac has had my 2010 SRX for 10 days for a thumping sound when I make a turn. They thought it needed new struts and control arm bushings, they replaced them noise still there. They haven't figured out the cause of the noise yet????????????
Hello SRX Owner10,

I apologize that your SRX is still experiencing these noises after the dealership has had your vehicle for ten days. Could you private message me or send me an email to socialmedia@gm.com with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you are working with so I can reach out to them and gather some additional information? If you send me an email, please be sure to include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so that it gets delivered straight to me. I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.