2010 SRX Front End Thumping Noise - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2010 SRX Front End Thumping Noise in Cadillac SRX Forums; As crazy as it sounds, Cadillac has instructed dealers to not keep replacing front suspension components for cars that exhibit ...
    cz9h3d is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX and Escalade...and sometimes a CTS

Re: 2010 SRX Front End Thumping Noise

As crazy as it sounds, Cadillac has instructed dealers to not keep replacing front suspension components for cars that exhibit this issue, as that will just run up costs and not fix the problem - they are putting new fixes into production as we speak, and are working on getting a good service fix ready. Stay tuned, and I'll provide any updates I might hear.

kwd
    kwd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX / 2009 CTS

UPDATE. So they finally replaced the front strut bushings. I am told this is the new engineered fix. So far, over 3-weeks later it has worked. They had the car for 9 days, had a Cadillac rep come to town. The rep was not going to authorize the fix. Just before calling me on day 4 of the car in the shop, the service manager took the car for a spin. He told Cadillac he could not return this car to the customer in that condition. They finally got authorization to install the fix. Since the problem didn't originally occur until 4000 miles, I will monitor the issue and post if this is the ultimate fix. I plan to take the car on a trip and will rack up abut 3000 miles on that trip. Stay tuned.

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

Great news KWD! I've been following you as I may have heard it on my SRX once? Thx for posting the info.

I had similar prob once in 1998, and a squirt of WD40 on suspected bushings fixed it for a few days! That's how GM diagnosed it back then.

Good luck with it. I will be flipping if mine sounds like a Maxwell House coffee pot as I drive..

SS

nahc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2011 Luxe&Performance

I feel your pain KWD. I purchased my srx in march and have been back to the dealer at least 5 times for the noise in the front suspension. By the third visit, they changed the top mounts(left and right), but problem is still there. Then, a field engineer did tests for 3 days and assured me that they will change the whole left strut if they have to. Subsequently, I was told they couldn't get the part. After doing more sound tests, on the fifth visit, they think they may only have to change the shock absorbers. Basically, I am losing faith. I have asked them to replace my srx with a new one. I also read the document ID:2385039. It was dated Jan.20/2010. We are in Sept. and there is still no fix.
    I thought I was upgrading when I returned my Pontiac G6.

johnl327 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by dsy@cox.net View Post
    I just purchased a 2010 SRX AWD Performance Pkg and have been experiencing a thumping noise from the front end every time I hit a bump, a rut or dip in the road! First it started on the passenger front side and now the drivers side front end is also doing it. It is very annoying and is not how a Cadillac Product should perform. GM and Cadillac have been informed but can't authorize service technicians to attempt a repair until they figure out what it can be. I'm told that if the a-frame gets replaced it should be the solution, but enough compaints must occur before the repair is authorized under warranty. I'm hoping that I'm not the only one experiencing this thumping noise? Help.....Annoyed in Connecticut!
    I have the same problem except the noise I hear seems to come from the rear every time I hit a bump it sounds like I am going over railroad tracks I brought it to the dealer today hopefully they will fix the problem

There have been numerous attempts to fix the thumping noise from my front suspension on my 2010 SRX. GM is offering to change my SRX. The dealer says that the same noise may occur on the 2011 model. The dealer is proposing I exchange my SRX for a CTS sedan or wagon. I would rather get my money back.

bwclemons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury

I beleive the problem is in the shock strut assembly. The nut on top of the shock is not tight. It may look tight but it really is not. The only way to check this is to remove the shock strut from the car and release the spring pressure. Remove the nut and then retighten the nut. You must hold the shock piston rod to keep it from spinning when the nut is tightened. This is the hard part because there is only a small area to hold the rod. Most people just use a impact wrench and do not hold the rod and expect this to work. The same holds true for both the front and rear shocks. When the tech's replace the rubber stops they are basically doing the same thing. Have your tech's remove the assembly, take the shock strut apart and then reassemble. Have them take make sure that the nut is secured with the shock piston rod held by mechanical means. Good luck having your representive try this. Bring this post to them and see what they think. It should take about one hour per shock to do the procedure.

Thanks for the tip. At this point, we are still ordering the 2011 SRX. I cannot waste any more time on this car. I have brought it in numerous times. I will certainly print this in case I need it in the future.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

very good info bwclemons - we haven't had any problems with suspension noises on our customers' 2010 & 2011 SRXs but that might be because we've got a 30+yr veteran cadillac suspension tech who knows these types of things
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

like i said. I think its a shock issue. Gm needs to just get a fix instead of wasting time and money sending engineers across the country looking at all these vehicles

but that's how they come up with a fix
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

2010blksrx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

First, let me say how grateful I am to have found this forum. I live in North Texas area, purchased a 2010 SRX in July. Love it but about a month ago, started hearing this front, driver side thumping noise, particularly after breaking or manuevering a hard right. Finally was able to take it in this morning (now at 6200 miles) to have it looked at. Rec'd a call from Cadillac Service informing me "GM is aware of the problem but there is no current fix. Therefore, your car is ready for pick-up and once a fix is available, we'll be sure to give you a call."

Now, I am a woman, and I transport my two toddlers around in this vehicle. When I heard that reply, I was babbled. I called the guy back. He assured me it was not a safety issue, merely an annoyance, if anything. I have yet to return their loaner. Can I demand that they fix the issue before I return the loaner? I just do not feel safe in this car, particularly since I spend a deal of time on the road. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

The Dealers are looking for guidance too. They must follow GM guidelines to get reimbursed for their efforts. I'd print out the fixes above, (from KWD & BWCLEMONS) that have been working for several weeks, and bring it to them. Ask them to take a look at these resolutions and offer to let them try it, even if it takes a few days. Coming off as reasonable and a "partner" in resolving this matter benefits both of you and their other customers as well. Point this out with a smile. Other than yelling "Lemon Law" that's probably your best bet. Demanding a loaner will not work. And it truly is not a danger to drive, as is. BUT I'd hate it too!

If your Dealer will NOT consider either of these 2 fixes, I'd politely request a District Supervisor be consulted and an "exception" be made to everyone's mutual benefit. Or, if you feel uncomfortable with them, just take it to a different Dealer and ask if they could look at it and review your print-out of solutions from our forum. Promise to be a loyal customer if they can accommodate you. They may be very interested in our fixes........

Good luck
    SS

PS..... several years ago I appealed to my Dealer that my new Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (rare performance option model with lowered suspension) had way too soft rear springs and I bottomed out everytime I took my elderly parents to Church, (true !) where there was small speed bumps that I couldn't go slow enough to prevent it! A great sympathetic Service Mgr test drove it and agreed it was that bad. He swapped in a set of rear springs from a new Pontiac Bonneville (larger car) when he saw I would be reasonable to work with, and appreciate any creative solutions he would attempt w/o complaining about "down time" etc. I made it clear I wouldn't complain if the car was a bit higher in rear, than stock height, due to his efforts. It was when finished, a tiny bit higher, the problem was 95% resolved and I thanked him for his ingenuity and told the Dealer Owner as well! We loved the car and were willing to make concessions to get it resolved.

GREAT advice SS
    i couldn't have said that half as well as you did

305cts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS 3.6

My CTS is at the dealer as I write this.Today I dropped it off because I also have that annoying rattling/dumping noise when I get a bump and the rep just call me saying it was the shock absorber was not responding. Maybe you have the same thing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.