Audio Questions - specific
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Audio Questions - specific in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hello, I have some very specific questions about the audio system related to the type of media and surround sound. ...
    carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

Audio Questions - specific

Hello,

I have some very specific questions about the audio system related to the type of media and surround sound. I'm trying to figure out if it's the same, better, or worse then my STS. These are probably questions for an Audiophile who has an SRX.

What format disks does it play? The STS plays CDs, DTS encoded CDs, DVD-Audio, and DVD-Video discs.

Does the audio system have surround sound? Here is what the STS does.

Regular CDs: stereo

DTS encoded CDs: 5.1 surround

DVD-Audio: plays Advanced Resolution Surround, but down mixes to 2 channel stereo (unfortunately - this seems to be a defect or planned decoding issue).

DVD-Audio: If there is a Dolby Digital or DTS track, will play this in 5.1 surround.

DVD-Video: If there is a Dolby Digital or DTS track, will play this in 5.1 surround.

Thanks. If I get an SRX, I don't really want to have a downgraded audio system. I have too many discs now that sound great in surround sound.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: Audio Questions - specific

Quote Originally Posted by carter's_sts View Post
    Hello,

I have some very specific questions about the audio system related to the type of media and surround sound. I'm trying to figure out if it's the same, better, or worse then my STS. These are probably questions for an Audiophile who has an SRX.

What format disks does it play? The STS plays CDs, DTS encoded CDs, DVD-Audio, and DVD-Video discs.

Does the audio system have surround sound? Here is what the STS does.

Regular CDs: stereo

DTS encoded CDs: 5.1 surround

DVD-Audio: plays Advanced Resolution Surround, but down mixes to 2 channel stereo (unfortunately - this seems to be a defect or planned decoding issue).

DVD-Audio: If there is a Dolby Digital or DTS track, will play this in 5.1 surround.

DVD-Video: If there is a Dolby Digital or DTS track, will play this in 5.1 surround.

Thanks. If I get an SRX, I don't really want to have a downgraded audio system. I have too many discs now that sound great in surround sound.
    The SRX will play CD-R, CD-RW, DVD Video, DVD Audio, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW and DivX DVDs. The HDD plays MP3, MP3 Pro, WMA, OGG Vorbis, Audible.com and M4A. It plays everything in 5.1, except input via the AUX jack. The HDD has 10GB of dedicated storage for music. There is a USB input. You can play files directly from the USB, or record USB content onto the HDD. Of course you can also record CDs onto the HDD as well. With the 32GB thumbdrives out now, that gives you a total of 42GB of music storage, in addition to an iPod of other MP3 player.

Only the "Performance" and "Premium" Collections have the 10-Speaker BoseŽ 5.1 Cabin SurroundŽ Sound System.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Sube

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

Sounds nice, thanks. Do you know, for sure, that it plays DVD-Audio Advanced Resolution Surround (also known as MLP) actually in surround?

You wouldn't know unless you try one of those discs. My STS does decode the audio and play it, but it disappointingly down mixes it to 2-channel. MLP is a lossless form of compression and is great for surround sound and the great thing about DVD-A, but my player falls short even with the latest firmware. It would be nice if they corrected that.

Good reference about DVD-A:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio

Quote Originally Posted by carter's_sts View Post
    Sounds nice, thanks. Do you know, for sure, that it plays DVD-Audio Advanced Resolution Surround (also known as MLP) actually in surround?

You wouldn't know unless you try one of those discs. My STS does decode the audio and play it, but it disappointingly down mixes it to 2-channel. MLP is a lossless form of compression and is great for surround sound and the great thing about DVD-A, but my player falls short even with the latest firmware. It would be nice if they corrected that.

Good reference about DVD-A:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio
    Carter,

I can't say specifically, as I haven't tested this. Being four years newer, I highly doubt if the SRX audio system does "less" than the one in your 2006 STS. It wouldn't seem logical that they'd take a step backward, especially being it's the same company. If we were talking about different car companies, that would be comparing apples and oranges.

My suggestion to you would be to do this. Gather up every kind of disc you can think of and take them with you to test the system (and the whole car in general). Don't expect too much from the salespeople though. The basic features of the car itself are way ahead of most of them. I doubt if they'd even know what an "audiophile" is.

Sube

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I have found my SURROUND option grayed out
    for most everything I have put through it so far.

However, that is limited to iPod, XM and CD.

Have not been able to use the Surround feature
    so I wonder if it is only applicable to high resolution
    recordings that are 5.1 decoded.

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    It plays everything in 5.1, except input via the AUX jack.
    I have to correct my previous post. It plays everything in "Centerpoint", which is Bose's own simulated Surround Sound. Basically, it produces 5.1 sound from a conventional stereo signal. If you play media with a true 5.1 Surround Sound signal (like a DVD), the "Surround" touch button should light up.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...s/surround.jsp

Sube

xrs01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2

I have to correct my previous post. It plays everything in "Centerpoint", which is Bose's own simulated Surround Sound. Basically, it produces 5.1 sound from a conventional stereo signal. If you play media with a true 5.1 Surround Sound signal (like a DVD), the "Surround" touch button should light up.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...s/surround.jsp

Sube

Sube:

Took you long enough to discover your error and correct it. Over two days!!

You're slipping!

Quote Originally Posted by xrs01 View Post
    Sube:

Took you long enough to discover your error and correct it. Over two days!!

You're slipping!
    Yeah, I'll have to work on that.

If you play media with a true 5.1 Surround Sound signal (like a DVD), the "Surround" touch button should light up.

Sube
    Yes, this is true. I just confirmed it with a DVD. The "Surround" touch button lights up, indicating true 5.1 Surround Sound.

Sube

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.