Gas tank noise - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Gas tank noise in Cadillac SRX Forums; Thanks to SS on directing me to the correct thread: I was hearing a thumping noise in the rear of ...
    Grizz262 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX LUX

Re: Gas tank noise

Thanks to SS on directing me to the correct thread:

I was hearing a thumping noise in the rear of my 2010 SRX upon a gentle acceleration from a full stop. (this was not going over bumps, but mereley accelerating from a dead stop) The best way to describe it was like a shock absorber expanding (or contracting) in increments, thump, thump, thump. Not very loud, and not consitantly.

I took it into the the dealer who said they heard the noise, and have heard it on other SRX's in the past. They advised me that GM has issued a service bulletin on the Gas Tank baffle system, and are currently working on a re-design to prevent the noise which should be out by the end of the year. Once designed, they will issue a recall.

Anyone find a service bulletin that refers to this?
    I can scan the repair order with their comments about the SB if needed.

mrl859 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 White SRX Performance/2011 Radiant Silver CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz262 View Post
    Thanks to SS on directing me to the correct thread:

I was hearing a thumping noise in the rear of my 2010 SRX upon a gentle acceleration from a full stop. (this was not going over bumps, but mereley accelerating from a dead stop) The best way to describe it was like a shock absorber expanding (or contracting) in increments, thump, thump, thump. Not very loud, and not consitantly.

I took it into the the dealer who said they heard the noise, and have heard it on other SRX's in the past. They advised me that GM has issued a service bulletin on the Gas Tank baffle system, and are currently working on a re-design to prevent the noise which should be out by the end of the year. Once designed, they will issue a recall.

Anyone find a service bulletin that refers to this?
    I can scan the repair order with their comments about the SB if needed.
    I sincerely doubt that they'll issue a recall. Recalls are for safety and emissions only. They'll issue a TSB, but they won't send out notices to owners.

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by brapril714 View Post
    I had a thumping noise, traced it down to the air compressor in the rear. Pulled it out and noise went away. Going to fill up today and see if it comes back.
    Wow.......... few things going on it seems. Good info on PIT4927B. I'm still skeptical however, that ALL SRX's will be retro-fitted with a new tank/baffles. We'll see, I guess.

CadManChris posts a very good report! But this is very different from the gas tank "thud" noise that is definitely a gas-hitting-tank-wall sound. Good to know another "fix" is available by installing some rubber strips!

BRAPRIL 714, did you remove the Emergency Tire Inflater kit?? Good move checking for any loose items in under floor storage area! Let us know pls.

SS

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

Folks, the gas tank is NOT even in the back of the vehicle.

The gas tank runs from the driver seat to the rear seat from front to back and it's on BOTH sides of the drive shaft. Crawl under the car and take a look.

I checked out this noise on my car and I attribute it to the exhaust hangers banging the exhaust pipes. They hang pretty low and have a lot of play in them.

Read your other thread. Good detective skills. Fill the tank, check for noise and be certain. An exhaust adjustment is relatively simple. I'd try some nylon tie wraps or duct tape for a 2 minute drive to be sure it's gone. Pls beware that modern exhaust systems get very HOT, in all areas!! No fun driving with bandaged hands. I burned a leg while unloading rear hatch, last summer, on the chrome tips!! Watch the kids/grandkids. ..........

SS

Read your other thread. Good detective skills. Fill the tank, check for noise and be certain. An exhaust adjustment is relatively simple. I'd try some nylon tie wraps or duct tape for a 2 minute drive to be sure it's gone. Pls beware that modern exhaust systems get very HOT, in all areas!! No fun driving with bandaged hands. I burned a leg while unloading rear hatch, last summer, on the chrome tips!! Watch the kids/grandkids. ..........

SS

SoCalSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury with Navigation

I've got the same problem. It was driving me nuts yesterday, but the symptoms are exactly the same as those discussed here. Subscribing...and hoping a service bulletin is released soon!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.