Gas tank noise - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Gas tank noise in Cadillac SRX Forums; The PI says something about it being particularly bad with a fuel level between 3/4 and 1/2....
    ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Gas tank noise

The PI says something about it being particularly bad with a fuel level between 3/4 and 1/2.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    The PI says something about it being particularly bad with a fuel level between 3/4 and 1/2.
    I'll check again when it gets to that level.

Thanks!

Sube

bobstan38 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 srx

Don't you think maybe there are more than one supplier of gas tanks for this vehicle or that the specs have changed?

Quote Originally Posted by bobstan38 View Post
    Don't you think maybe there are more than one supplier of gas tanks for this vehicle or that the specs have changed?
    You're saying maybe there was a bad batch of tanks? Always possible. They may change (or already have changed) the gas tank specs. I'm sure when they discover a problem they quietly upgrade the part. E.g. I guarantee you SRX's leaving the plant now have the new larger rear axle filters installed.

Sube

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

My guess would be the shape of the tank is enhancing the slosh and turning it into a boom. If so it is likely they will just change the shape slightly or stick something in it to change the flow of the fuel when it moves around.
    Still a guess....

I doubt they have more than one supplier, the way things are with GM parts right now it is highly unlikely. It is possible the supplier could have more than one facility.
    When I worked in plastics years ago we had a sister company that often made the same parts we did but they were halfway across the state from us.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    You're saying maybe there was a bad batch of tanks? Always possible. They may change (or already have changed) the gas tank specs. I'm sure when they discover a problem they quietly upgrade the part. E.g. I guarantee you SRX's leaving the plant now have the new larger rear axle filters installed.

Sube
    I'm hoping so!

OK, I noticed the sloshing sound today. Not particularly disturbing. I probably have 7/8 of a tank of gas. Had I not read this thread, I probably would have thought nothing of it. Short of a gas tank redesign, I don't know what can be done about it. If they come out with a fix, I'll take it, but I'm not exactly losing sleep over this one.

I didn't hear anything that could be called a "thud".

Sube

SWATBOY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Quote Originally Posted by bobstan38 View Post
    At solw speeds I hear a thud from rear like loose jack or spare tire. Dealer says it is my gas tank and Cadillac is working on a fix. Does anyone else have this problem?
    yes. My 2010 SRX has the same problem. GM notified me in PIT4927B (issued Feb 15, 2011), that GM engineers are developing a gas tank with baffles and sound deadener patches to fix the problem. New tanks should be available by August 2011.

TRMN8R1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX LUX Radiant Silver Metallic 3.0AWD

I have the same thing, it sounds like someone hitting the underside coming from the right rear with a rubber mallet. I've read this and other threads noting the fuel tank, but I find it difficult to relate what I'm hearing to a bad fuel tank design. What I don't hear is a sloshing around kind of sound.................I also can't say that it's dependent on how much fuel I have in the tank either. It seems to be independent of that.

Quote Originally Posted by SWATBOY View Post
    yes. My 2010 SRX has the same problem. GM notified me in PIT4927B (issued Feb 15, 2011), that GM engineers are developing a gas tank with baffles and sound deadener patches to fix the problem. New tanks should be available by August 2011.
    I assume this is to be retrofitted to 2010 models and not just an improvement for the 2012 SRX. Is this correct?

Sube

dselmeyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    I assume this is to be retrofitted to 2010 models and not just an improvement for the 2012 SRX. Is this correct?

Sube
    The dealer I went to said the tank would be available LATE 2011, like towards the end of the year. It will be available on the 2010 models.

CeeFive is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have also had the same issue and everyone at the dealer that drove it (Brand new) heard it. At first they were looking at the wheel wells and suspension parts , then realized there was a bulletin about it and GM was "working on a fix". Sounds to me though, it may be a fix you have to pay for when and if it does come out. It is worst around 3/4 tank of gas, and though it is gas moving side to side, it can sound very much like a clunk or something loose back there.

cadmanchris is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS,2007 STS V8

Subject: Squeak, Squawk or Thump Noise from Rear of Vehicle (Install Butyl Ribbon Seal on Top Upper Spring Jounce Bumper)

Models: 2010-2011 Cadillac SRX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI is being revised to add the 2011 model year. Please discard PI0105.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition/Concern
    Some customers may comment that they hear a squeak, squawk or thump noise from the rear of the vehicle while going over speed bumps or large potholes.

Recommendation/Instructions
    Confirm that the noise is coming from the rear suspension.
    Remove both of the rear spring jounce bumpers. Refer to Rear Spring, Insulator, and Jounce Bumper Replacement in SI.

Thoroughly clean the mating surfaces of the jounce bumper cup and the body. Clean and install butyl ribbon seal, 3M™ P/N 08611 (or equivalent), on the top upper spring jounce bumper.

• Apply butyl ribbon seal on the outer ring of the jounce bumper cup (1).

• Apply butyl ribbon seal in four places (2) along the inside vertical wall, near the upper radius.

Reinstall the spring and jounce bumpers, making sure that the spring is properly centered in the upper spring isolator (3-4 mm (0.12-0.16 in) gap all around the spring to isolator interface (1).
    On 2010 model year vehicles only, if the vehicle has an FE3 suspension with electronic shocks and struts, reflash the suspension control module with the latest calibration.
    • A revised calibration has been developed to address this concern. Update the suspension control module using the Service Programming System (SPS) with the latest software available on TIS2WEB. Refer to the Service Programming System (SPS) procedures in SI.

Parts Information
    Part Number
    Description

3M™ P/N 08611
    Butyl Ribbon Seal

brapril714 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

I had a thumping noise, traced it down to the air compressor in the rear. Pulled it out and noise went away. Going to fill up today and see if it comes back.

brapril714 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX
    Filled up and the noise is back. Looks like a trip to the dealership is in order. Only had the car for two weeks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.