Why an SRX over a CTS? - Page 2
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 56
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Why an SRX over a CTS? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Please excuse my ignorance on this subject. What is "sport mode?" If it has anything to do with manual shifting ...
  1. #16
    NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    935

    Re: Why an SRX over a CTS?

    Please excuse my ignorance on this subject.

    What is "sport mode?"

    If it has anything to do with manual shifting
    I know nothing of it since I have used automatic
    all my life.

    Will that give me superior acceleration at lights?

    This may sound silly, but traffic light acceleration
    is a must because I drive on back roads and always
    get behind someone that can't do the speed limit.

    Not looking to beat premium sports cars but I am
    looking to beat most other cars on the road.

    Had no idea that the Turbo uses premium gas.
    That is a setback.

    I could also get a loaded SRX with Entertainment
    system and protection package for the $50k price point.

    One last thing I also need to do is drive the Lexus
    RX 350. Hear that is a real contender to the SRX.
    I priced it online, loaded, and it came in under $50k
    though something tells me that it doesn't include the
    entertainment package. I also realize that takes
    premium fuel as well.

    Tough choice. Gonna test drive both this week.
    However, I think I am ready to get into something
    a little different than another CTS, as much as I
    adored driving that car for the past two years.

  2. #17
    rtsittner's Avatar
    rtsittner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD in Graphite Metallic
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    120

    Re: Why an SRX over a CTS?

    As Sube mentioned in a previous post, there are three settings for the transmission - Automatic, Sport Mode and Manual. To expand on Sube's explanation, the following is taken from the owner's manual:

    Manual Mode
    Driver Shift Control (DSC) allows
    you to shift an automatic
    transmission similar to a manual
    transmission. To use the DSC
    feature:
    1. Move the shift lever to
    the left from D (Drive) to
    M(Manual Mode).
    If you do not move the shift lever
    forward or rearward, the vehicle
    will be in Sport Mode. When you
    are in Sport Mode the vehicle
    will still shift automatically. The
    transmission may remain in a
    gear longer than it would in the
    normal driving mode based on
    braking, throttle input, and
    vehicle lateral acceleration.
    An S will be displayed in
    the DIC.
    Within Sport Mode there is a
    further performance feature
    called Performance Mode Lift
    Foot (PMLF) Mode. The feature
    is activated automatically when
    sports oriented driving is
    detected, based on cornering
    and on/off throttle application.
    PMLF allows the transmission to
    hold the current gear instead of
    upshifting when the throttle is
    lifted.

    Randy

  3. #18
    sube5186's Avatar
    sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,806

    Lexus RX 350

    Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    One last thing I also need to do is drive the Lexus
    RX 350. Hear that is a real contender to the SRX.
    Don't take this personal. The Lexus is fine.....if you like being a follower. I prefer to be a leader and stand out from the crowd. The Lexus is just too damned common. Everywhere I go I can't blink my eyes without seeing one. Why I was just at the mall a few hours ago. I must have seen about ten of them. To top that off, I actually saw two driving down the road, one right in front of the other! I don't know about you, but that really irks me.


    Sube

  4. #19
    NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    935

    Re: Why an SRX over a CTS?

    Not taken personally.

    I guess I didn't mention it.....I got the
    SRX today.

    Have to say that I test drove the
    RX 350 and really liked it. Thought
    the gadgetry inside was far more
    advanced.

    However, the SRX retained that
    smoother Cadillac ride.

    Only thing I am a little worried about
    is that I got a bad deal on the lease.

  5. #20
    sube5186's Avatar
    sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,806

    Re: Why an SRX over a CTS?

    Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    Not taken personally.

    I guess I didn't mention it.....I got the
    SRX today.

    Only thing I am a little worried about
    is that I got a bad deal on the lease.
    Don't worry about the lease. Enjoy your new SRX, and welcome to the club. Watch the Lexus owners as they pass you. I guarantee you they'll do a double take.


    Sube

  6. #21
    RightTurn's Avatar
    RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Keep Right™
    Posts
    41,067

    Re: Lexus RX 350

    Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    To top that off, I actually saw two driving down the road, one right in front of the other! I don't know about you, but that really irks me.


    Sube
    What irks me is this...when our government promoted the "Cash for Clunkers" program, something like 70% of that money went to JAPAN because people bought Toyota, Honda, etc. Now that Japan is having their version of "Cash for Clunkers", Japanese people can ONLY BUY JAPANESE vehicles to take advantage of their program. It's too bad the American government didn't have the foresight to make sure their lame program would benefit AMERICAN companies. :soapbox:

    Anyhow, I'm glad you bought American, NJRonbo. Enjoy your new car, and don't worry about those lease terms. As others have stated, the party is over as far as sweetheart lease deals anymore.

  7. #22
    TheCaptain's Avatar
    TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Moosomin Saskatchewan
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,728

    Re: Lexus RX 350

    Quote Originally Posted by RightTurn View Post
    What irks me is this...when our government promoted the "Cash for Clunkers" program, something like 70% of that money went to JAPAN because people bought Toyota, Honda, etc. Now that Japan is having their version of "Cash for Clunkers", Japanese people can ONLY BUY JAPANESE vehicles to take advantage of their program. It's too bad the American government didn't have the foresight to make sure their lame program would benefit AMERICAN companies. :soapbox:

    Anyhow, I'm glad you bought American, NJRonbo. Enjoy your new car, and don't worry about those lease terms. As others have stated, the party is over as far as sweetheart lease deals anymore.
    Yea, that Japan CfC program sure is a kick in the nutz! But that is a different topic...

  8. #23
    NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    935

    Re: Why an SRX over a CTS?

    Had my RSX for about a week now and thought I would
    provide all of you with an update since I took it out for
    its first long drive (150 miles) yesterday.

    As all of you who have read this thread are aware, I had
    concerns about moving from a CTS to an RSX. I loved
    my CTS. Best car I ever owned. It had a ride like no
    other. Also, through looking at photos, I thought the
    RSX just looked plain ugly.

    My choice to move into the RSX came on a recent
    business trip to San Francisco. Situated in Ghirardelli
    Square was a crystal red RSX. I spent 15 minutes
    staring at it inside and out. I was really amazed at
    how handsome a vehicle it was. My choice was nearly
    made at that point.

    So, out for a long drive yesterday and I must say that
    I was highly pleased. The RSX retains that signature
    "smooth" Cadillac ride. Add to the fact that I am now
    higher up on the road, I actually enjoyed the ride more
    than the CTS. The only minor complaint I have is that
    there seems to be a little more wind noise in the cabin.

    Loved the fact that this vehicle has a backup camera.
    However, what is missing (or at least I don't see it) is
    visual lights above the interior back window that indicate
    how close you are to another object when backing up.
    The CTS had this. You didn't want to go beyond two
    indicator lights when backing. All I get on the RSX is
    audible signals which I guess I am not used to yet.

    The vehicle has great handling. The voice commands
    were touch and go. For phone calls it worked great.
    Most radio commands worked perfectly ("Radio select 26 XM")
    while some others took many repeated commands.
    One thing sorely missing is commands to adjust cabin
    temperature by voice.

    As with the CTS, one of the poorest features is the
    Bose audio system. Hate Bose. Anybody that really
    knows audio is aware that Bose is overrated junk,
    though saying such a thing publicly gets some very
    irritated. Trust me, I have owned other Luxury vehicles
    with far better sound systems than what has been put
    in the Cadillac brand. You just don't get that "oomph"
    from the sound system. And, yes, I had bass turned
    all the way up.

    Best feature on the vehicle? The button you push on
    the tailgate that automatically closes it.

    I am VERY happy with this vehicle. In fact, I would
    rate it higher than the CTS in overall driving enjoyment.

  9. #24
    RightTurn's Avatar
    RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Keep Right™
    Posts
    41,067

    Re: Why an SRX over a CTS?

    Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    I am VERY happy with this vehicle. In fact, I would
    rate it higher than the CTS in overall driving enjoyment.
    Yay! Now learn the name... SRX.

  10. #25
    NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    935

    Re: Why an SRX over a CTS?

    Wow, my apologies. I have dyslexia of the
    brain today. Oh did I goof in that post.

    Wish I could go back and edit. Yes, I have
    to learn to say SRX. I think part of the
    problem is that I test drove a Lexus RSX
    and that is sticking in my brain.

    Sorry about the typo. Awfully embarrassed
    about it.

  11. #26
    ngocts09 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    23

    Re: Why an SRX over a CTS?

    I am currently drive 2009 CTS and want something bigger but don't want to give up the comfort features of the CTS. My daughter is getting bigger and harder to get her in and out of the car seat without hitting her head on the door or the roof line. Living in Hawaii remote start and cooled seat for it a must. Even it is consider winter here in December the weather is 80 degrees. I have done a lot of research and watching videos. None of the review on the SRX is positive. Finding a SRX on the Island of OAHU is very difficult.

  12. #27
    NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    935

    Re: Why an SRX over a CTS?

    I have done a lot of research and watching videos. None of the review on the SRX is positive.
    No, really?!

    Researching the SRX (look I said it right) I Googled about
    a dozen reviews. All the top search reviews were very,
    very positive. In fact, the SRX was rated very high in the
    Luxury category even giving the Lexus RSX a run for its
    money.

    The ONLY consistent negative reviews I read was in
    the engine power. The reviews stated that a very heavy
    vehicle with that kind of engine did not promote fast acceleration.

    However, the reviews of this car are hugely favorable.

  13. #28
    GMJim's Avatar
    GMJim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    GM Product Development
    Posts
    1,789

    Re: Why an SRX over a CTS?

    Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    Wish I could go back and edit.
    If you become a "supporting member" you could. ($50.00 a year)

    Geeze, I just noticed my year is over...........I better guppy up.

  14. #29
    sube5186's Avatar
    sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,806

    Re: Why an SRX over a CTS?

    Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    The only minor complaint I have is that
    there seems to be a little more wind noise in the cabin.

    Loved the fact that this vehicle has a backup camera.
    However, what is missing (or at least I don't see it) is
    visual lights above the interior back window that indicate
    how close you are to another object when backing up.
    The CTS had this. You didn't want to go beyond two
    indicator lights when backing. All I get on the RSX is
    audible signals which I guess I am not used to yet.

    The vehicle has great handling. The voice commands
    were touch and go. For phone calls it worked great.
    Most radio commands worked perfectly ("Radio select 26 XM")
    while some others took many repeated commands.
    One thing sorely missing is commands to adjust cabin
    temperature by voice.

    As with the CTS, one of the poorest features is the
    Bose audio system. Hate Bose. Anybody that really
    knows audio is aware that Bose is overrated junk,
    though saying such a thing publicly gets some very
    irritated. Trust me, I have owned other Luxury vehicles
    with far better sound systems than what has been put
    in the Cadillac brand. You just don't get that "oomph"
    from the sound system. And, yes, I had bass turned
    all the way up.

    Best feature on the vehicle? The button you push on
    the tailgate that automatically closes it.

    I am VERY happy with this vehicle. In fact, I would
    rate it higher than the CTS in overall driving enjoyment.
    First of all, it's actually the "SRX", not the "RSX".

    I hear absolutely no wind noise in mine, so the wind noise you hear is "not" normal. Have it checked for a faulty weather strip or some other defect.

    The backup camera uses a color display called the Driver Information Center (DIC). That's the display within the speedometer. There are audible and color coded warnings that change based on your distance from an obstacle (page 8-38). As the object gets closer, the time between beeps becomes shorter. When the distance is less than 11.8 inches, the beep is continuous. You have to turn on "Park Assist" on the gear shift console when you're going forward while parking. It automatically comes on when you back up. Maybe you never noticed this if you were looking out the rear window at the time.

    Which SRX do you have? If you have the Luxury or Standard model, you have the basic Bose system. You have to get the Performance or Premium package to get the 10 speaker Bose system. While there are audio systems that are better than the Bose system, it is pretty good PROVIDING YOU KNOW HOW TO EQUALIZE IT. Did you manually adjust the equalizer? Did you set "Centerpoint" to on? What are you using to judge the audio quality? Any audio system is only as good as the source. I play 320 Kbps MP3s and they sound superb. One of the hallmarks of the Bose system is that they use "Active" drivers. That is, each speaker has it's own amplifier, rather than having one amp to drive all of the speakers. This pretty much eliminates distortion from over driving the speakers. If you're not getting that "oomph", then there is something seriously wrong. I get enough oomph for me and the guy next door. However, audio is purely subjective. So if you say you don't like it, you're entitled to your opinion, even though I strongly disagree.


    Sube

  15. #30
    ngocts09 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    23

    Re: Why an SRX over a CTS?

    I just have to wait for the turbo to arrive. Cadillac is not very popular on the island. there is only one 2010 srx, one cts-v, and about 10 cts that i have seen people driving that included all the cts from the rental companies.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting