HDD song capacity
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, HDD song capacity in Cadillac SRX Forums; My 10GB HDD maxed out at 679 songs, far short of the advertised 2,000. My music is mostly 60's short ...
    kennyfl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

HDD song capacity

My 10GB HDD maxed out at 679 songs, far short of the advertised 2,000. My music is mostly 60's short songs. Did I get short-changed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: HDD song capacity

Quote Originally Posted by kennyfl View Post
    My 10GB HDD maxed out at 679 songs, far short of the advertised 2,000. My music is mostly 60's short songs. Did I get short-changed?
    No, you didn't get short changed. That figure of 2,000 songs is based on the standard encoding bitrate of 128kbps. I have almost a thousand songs on mine and I still have space. Some are high bitrate (320kbps) MP3s. Others are 128kbps WMA files. Higher bitrate files will sound better, but take up more space. It's a trade off. I can tell you this much. If you're ripping old tracks, don't bother using a high bitrate. You'll hear no difference because the original recordings are so bad. Save the high bitrates for current stuff. They'll make the system really shine. Just FYI, WMA are supposed to have superior sound quality at the same bitrate. E.g. 128kbps WMA will sound better than 128kbps MP3. So if you really want to maximize your song count, rip to WMA.

Sube

Thanks, but I'm just loading my regular commercial CDs.

Thanks, but I'm just loading my regular commercial CDs.
    OK, then that tells me the default bitrate the SRX rips at is probably 320. In case I'm speaking Greek to you, check out the link below. It explains this.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/mp32.htm

Sube

The SRX is not merely "recording" your CD tracks. It's converting them to MP3 format first, then recording them to the HDD. This conversion process is known as "ripping". You can rip a CD track at various different qualities. The "bitrate" determines what quality that conversion is. Higher bitrates sound better, but take up more storage space on your HDD. The opposite is true of lower bitrates. The SRX rips at the highest bitrate to achieve maximum audio quality.

I can show you how to double the amount of songs the HDD will hold. If you're interested, I can walk you through the process.

Sube

I traded in an '09 Acura TL with a 12.5 GB hard drive. I had loaded 200 of my CDs onto it and there was still room left over. The SRX only took 1/4 of that amount.

If Cadillac had set it up correctly I wouldn't have to do all the extra work to get my music on the hard drive. Whatever bitrate Acura used, it still sounded great!

Is it possible to have a larger hard drive installed by Cadillac? or an outside source?

Is it possible to have a larger hard drive installed by Cadillac? or an outside source?
    I'm sure you could put in a larger hard drive, if you were so inclined. However, you'd completely void the warranty. Relax. There's a much easier way. All you have to do is rip your CDs on a computer using Windows Media Player (or similar program). Select the bitrate you want. I would suggest WMAs at 128Kbps. Make sure you select "Unprotected". Then, put the converted files onto a thumb drive and record them onto the HDD from that. The end result will be exactly the same, except of course you'd be able to fit more songs. This is how I transferred my music. I did it like that because I didn't know what bitrate the SRX rips. I didn't even bother called Cadillac to ask. As soon as I would have mentioned "bitrate" they would have began scratching their heads.

Apparently, Cadillac chose audio quality over capacity. A true audiophile wouldn't really fault them for that.

Sube

mw1862 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX (FWD Performance Model)

By pushing the menu button in CD HDD mode the memory used gauge appears accross the bottom of the screen. I have 600 mp3's on my hard drive and this gauge only shows about 25% usage. Perhaps your HDD is defective. I am experiencing the initial "skipping" all of the time now that many on this board have talked about. Something is screwy with the hard drives. You may be lucky if you can get them to replace yours now. I am just waiting for mine to crash so I can replace it. I don't know who the supplier is for the SRX HDD but they may have an equipment quality issue.

Please share your outcome. Thanks.

I brought the problem up with my dealer's customer support rep and she suggested I call Cadillac Customer Support. I was on the line with a kid for 30 minutes who didn't know his ass from his elbow and tried to tell me the HDD only had 1.1 GB of music storage. After explaining to him that the HDD navigation system was advertised to have 10 GB of music storage he said he had to transfer me to the Navigation System Department. I was on hold for another 10 minutes and finally hung up.

I wonder what could have possibly caused GM to go bankrupt.

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Gee, guess you shoulda kept the Acura.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.