Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Another dead battery+bad transmission module - is Cadillac shipping 2010 SRX lemons?

21K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  JWC0037 
#1 ·
My 8 day old SRX is currently at the dealers with 640 miles on it and what now appears to be a broader quality problem based on two other posts I see on this forum - first a dead battery, followed by a transmission module problem.

Just like the others who posted the same issue, I
- first had a dead battery this afternoon, which GM roadside assistance got jump started
- drove out from parking lot at work, the 'R' and 'D' light (of the P-R-N-D light sequence on the dash) starts blinking when put in Drive or Reverse.
- called Onstar who reports a transmission module problem
- car does not shift beyond the lower gears when I start driving, I can get max 25-30 mph before it reports 'Engine overspeed', giving me reason enough to pull over
- car then towed to local dealer, currently sitting there overnight

My first luxury car that I was so anxiously waiting to get my hands on has turned into a sour experience :crying:

I took the $500 rebate in lieu of the 60 day return policy, so have to stick with the car anyway. Will call Cadillac customer service tomorrow to ensure this incident is documented in case I have to fall back on the California 'lemon law' protection

See less See more
#6 ·
What's the date of manufacture of your vehicle? Should be somewhere on the window sticker. Trying to determine if this problem is indicative of early early production models.
:yeah: It would be helpful if those experiencing this problem could post their vehicle specifics.

#3 ·
Not saying this is so but the whole problem could be the battery. Seems a lot of battery problems have been occurring (all Cads make models; and not just lately). When I say a lot (that is a relative number) because batteries should be almost bulletproof IMO. Hope your problem can be quickly rectified and doesn't sour your experience.

#5 ·
Noticed this thread on the main page, and thought I'd add my experiences to commiserate. And don't take me the wrong way, I'm not making any excuses for Cadillac, this is inexcusable, but.....

The batteries on my 2005 STS and 2006 DTS both died w/in the first month, and on my 2008 DTS didn't even last the first week. AAA was able to jump start the '05 and '06, but the '08 was DEAD. When the '05 restarted, black smoke poured from the tailpipes and it shook like an old Mercedes diesel. By the time I arrived at the dealer, I'm pretty sure the system had thrown every warning code available.

The '06 and '08 only displayed SERVICE ENGINE SOON and SERVICE STABILITY SYSTEM.

The service guys freely admitted that GM used the cheapest batteries available and this was a major thorn in their side due to all the secondary problems that arise with a dead battery since cars have so many electronic systems on them and many times they have to go back and reset some of the systems even after installation of a new battery.

I contacted Cadillac Customer Service after each incidence, and actually tried to get them to repurchase the '08 considering the car had been in my possession less than a week. Of course, I was told a dead battery was not grounds for repurchase, but I wanted Cadillac to know how just unhappy I was with the situation.

I never had any other problems out of the cars, but its an extremely frustrating situation when you should be out enjoying your new purchase.

Hope that yours is all related to the dead battery and you have many years of trouble free motoring and are able to look back on this with a laugh.

Sorry for the long post.

#7 ·
What a mess for sure. The bright side is that warranty will cover any and all work they have to do. The dim side is that nobody should have to deal with situations like this with a new car period. The SRX is my first American car since my 1984 Trans Am. Fortunately, knock on wood, we have had no issues as of yet.

Last week I took it in for the NAV recall and they updated the software. As I was looking at the vehicle history printout I noticed an item regarding the "transmission module." I asked the service advisor about it. He took me back to meet the mechanic and we pulled the information up on his computer. It stated that not all SRX's were involved and set forth the criteria which were based on actual complaints much like are being posted here. My car did not fit the criteria so no action was required.

I say this just to make everyone aware that the "transmission module" is a recognized problem on some vehicles. I assume that the VIN is the dictates which vehicles may be affected.

#8 ·
Re: Another dead battery+bad transmission module: is Cadillac shipping '10 SRX lemons

Folks,

My woes with my SRX (FWD, Luxury trim with Nav+backup camera) continue. It is now back at the dealer for another overnight with problem #2!!

Apologies in advance for the long post, but if this issue ever does repeat with anyone else out there, the information below may be important to know so that you do not drive home with a car that will not start up in the morning.

Went to dealer this afternoon to pickup my car after it had been 'fixed'. Here's the explanation I was given to the first issue, which was attributed to a low voltage spike
- low voltage spike shot the programming on the electronic control module (primarily the master module to which the transmission module is linked)
- this threw bunch of error codes and prevented the transmission module from doing its job, hence the check engine light

Anyone spotting a bad design here?

This was fixed by
- recharging the battery to full potential of ~14.5V (12.8V is low threshold when engine is on)
- re-programming the entire electronic modules with the latest updated programming for the SRX

When I asked why did a new battery go low voltage after a 35min drive in to work at mostly freeway speeds, here's what I was told:
- battery drain on new cars these days that have a lot of electronic modules is high, therefore one should not run the car's accessories for more than 5-10 min without the car being turned on
- short drives may hurt the charging cycle on the battery (but my typical commute is 35 min which should be good enough)
- too much low voltage drain cycles on the car (lying on the dealer lot, short test drives etc) can hamper full charge potential

Ok, on to problem #2:
- I sign the papers, get the car driven up to me from a car wash, engine is turned off.
- I get in to check the battery voltage in the driver info console, shows 12.7V with car off (gets me worried)
- Service advisor comes back, starts car (works), rechecks battery voltage, now 14.5V. Says this is normal. Shuts engine off.
- I get in couple min later to drive off. Press Start, no response (all accessories come on)
- Get out, try remote start, works!! Shutdown engine
- Get back in, try push button start, no response (accessories come on)
- All start attempts after this are then futile. The service advisor tried some stuff, no luck. Finally, I was told to leave it overnight for 2nd night.

I dread to think what would have happened if I had not caught problem #2 right then and there at the dealer - guess it would have had to be tow #2!

No offense to Cadillac lovers (which I was as well until this nightmare began) but so much for Cadillac quality!! A brand new car, 8 days old, in for a 2nd service problem :banghead:

I called Cadillac customer service before they closed this evening and have filed a formal complaint, thereby opening a file for my case. I guess I have to wait and watch what happens next :annoyed:.

How I wish I hadn't been tempted by the $500 rebate in lieu of the 60 day return policy!

#9 ·
I am one of many who have experienced this problem, went out, came home, parked in the garage with all accessories turned off, got up - went to the car and the doors would not unlock, from there the saga begins, after being towed into thedealership - they claim that it was a computer glitch - we have a code reader and also had the initials flashing......after a 5 hours download of new computer software they claim the car is fixed and that Cadillac issued a confidential memo/recall on 12/08/09 for this. Unlike you - I took the car return policy instead of the 500....my car broke on day 58 of the 60 - so I have started the return program paperwork....the dealership has not been helpful so far so will let you know the results...I either want a new car with the new software downloaded or my money back - but there I still lose as I traded my BMW ci in on the car so now I will have to pay the sales tax on the full amount of a new car...not fair.....I love the car and all the perks of the Premium edition...just not this car!
Sandy:cookoo:

#12 ·
I either want a new car with the new software downloaded or my money back - but there I still lose as I traded my BMW ci in on the car so now I will have to pay the sales tax on the full amount of a new car...not fair.....I love the car and all the perks of the Premium edition...just not this car!
Sandy:cookoo:
Just out of curiosity- if they've downloaded new software and fixed the issue, what's the difference between the car you have now and a new one that comes from the factory with the new software loaded?

It's a serious question. I don't see why you'd fork out a second round of sales tax and another plate transfer fee and title fee just to get the new software they've already loaded in your current vehicle.

#10 ·
And all this officially puts, as Tiger Woods put it.."On indefinite hold", my plans to buy a NEW SRX in the next 6 months! I did the ride and drive last Saturday in San Diego,,,Liked the SRX, loved the Lexus. Even tho we don't wish to admit it; another new car with alot of bugs to work out! So no matter how many tested trillions of miles Cadillac supposedly put on these vehicles before release, you may be stuck with a dead battery and no spare tire! Good Luck

#13 ·
Folks,

Picked up my SRX from the dealer earlier today with the starting issue fixed. They re-programmed the onboard electronic systems once again (takes several hours apparently) and as per the tech, the car 'relearned' the brake sensor which apparently was the source of the problem. Bottom line, the brake sensor was not recognizing the pedal was being pushed and therefore the car was not starting. I was assured this is by no means a safety concern since the sensor is purely for the starting mechanism.

Another piece of information (from a GM service bulletin) for those concerned about a bad battery issue - battery voltage should not fall below 12.6 V when the engine is running. If it does, you may want to keep a close eye on it to make sure your car does not end up towed like mine or the other folks on this forum that ended up with dead batteries. Also, if you ever see a warning message re. low voltage saver mode being active, do not walk away from the car - take it for a 30 min spin until the charge goes back up.

#15 ·
Just got a call (literally minutes ago) from my Service Manager. He was calling about something totally unrelated. While on the phone, he mentioned that there's a software update available which addresses the battery dying issue. I haven't had any issues with my battery and the DIC always shows a high voltage level. However, he said when there's an update they install it in all cars whether they're having a problem or not. This is probably a good thing, since it eliminates the potential of the problem surfacing at a later date. Off to the dealer now.

I know many are in a panic over this, but I look at it like this. It's actually good that they can change the way the car behaves via a software update. I would prefer that over them needing to replace a physical part on the car.

Like I said, this was never an issue for me, so I don't expect to notice anything different after the update. If anything does change, I'll post it here.

Sube

#18 ·
After Battery Drain Software Update

Findings Since Battery Drain Software Update -

No noticeable difference, but then again, as I stated before I wasn't having battery problems to start with. Just for the heck of it, I monitored the battery charge level via the DIC on the drive home from the dealer's yesterday. It ranged betwen 14.5- 14.8 volts. Car's been sitting in the garage ever since (approx. 30 hrs.). Just now checked it again. It's at 14.6 volts. All perfectly normal.

Conclusion -

If you're not having battery issues, don't make a special trip to the dealer. But if you're going there for something else, get the software update just to avoid any potential future problems.

P.S. While I was getting the battery software update, they also did some kind of software update for the audio system. The Service Manager didn't know specifically what that one was for. Haven't noticed any changes with the radio. The radio station presets had to be reprogrammed, but that's standard anytime they do an update for the radio.

Sube

#21 ·
Re: After Battery Drain Software Update

I monitored the battery charge level via the DIC on the drive home from the dealer's yesterday. It ranged betwen 14.5- 14.8 volts. Car's been sitting in the garage ever since (approx. 30 hrs.). Just now checked it again. It's at 14.6 volts. All perfectly normal.
Thanks for posting this. This is good info to know.

Interestingly, my battery voltage when the car is off is in the 12.2 - 12.5V range and when running, the voltage starts off at 14.2V, then dipping to ~13.5V (and staying in that vicinity most of the times). Couple days ago, I got another fright when the voltage reported after 25 min of mostly freeway driving was 12.5-12.6V (while on the road). I called my service advisor and he said not to worry if it is above 12.4V which contradicts what he showed me the previous day in a GM tech bulletin that put the min running voltage at 12.6. I will raise this with customer service when I talk to them on Monday - sounds like I may have another problem lurking out there.

#20 ·
That's a pretty radical assumption. You have to keep in mind that the vehicles on this site with problems represent a very small percentage of the total sold thus far. The vast majority of owners who have had no problems or only minor issues, are "not" on this forum. People who have problems seek out forums like these for answers/support. For the most part, don't expect the happy SRX owner to be perusing forums. Of course, the exception to this are the auto enthusiasts like myself.

Sube

#27 ·
OK, so I have been able to side step all of the issues that are posted on this forum......until today.

While serving on jury duty today, I parked in a 4 story parking structure reserved for jurors. Happy that I was excused from a panel, I thought I would be beating the traffic and getting home earlier than I thought.

As I approached my vehicle, I could tell something was not right. That is what happens when the battery is dead as door nail. Entered the car by using the real key encased in the fob. Called AAA for battery jump service and in cranked right up. The voltage read in the DIC started at 12.1 - 12.4. Once I got it on the freeway is was 14.3 - 14.7 the rest of the way home.

Just called the dealership. The Service Advisor ran my VIN and said that the only recall work on my car has already been done. They previously did an update for the NAV/Radio unit that He says had to do with the battery situation. In any case I will be taking it in tomorrow, assuming it starts in the morning. Will post results. Things were going so so well for the first 9 months and 3900 miles. :alchi:

#28 ·
You know... i wonder if you leave the door open on the first latch, will it lock or will it wait till the door is fully closed to lock and stop looking for the key? I'm just shooting in the dark here, but it's something i have thought about... :hmm:

#30 ·
My 2010 Turbo Premium AWD Black Raven with 20K miles just died as well. Bought the care used 6 months ago. Had an Ipod attached to the USB in the center console, but I pressed "eject" on the pop-up screen before leaving. Perhaps the ipod nano played for 4 days? Car was not used for 4 days. Tried jumping with another car, no deal. Tried jumping with AAA Battery Truck, no luck either. It tests fine, but is completely dead. Will try a new battery tomorrow.

#31 ·
Kind of the same problem. I have a 2011 SRX Prem (9K miles, bought it new 7 months ago). 2 weeks ago I go to head to work and its dead. Lights come on but dim. I call roadside and they jump it off.. I go to work and as soon as I turn it off and try to start it, its dead. I jump it off and take it to the dealer. 3 days later they say the batt was completly dead. The y recharge it and it should be fine. On a side note, once its jumped off everything works and there is no problems with trans or anything. i had it back for one week and yesterday I get in to go to work and dead batt... I get a jump and get it to the dealer. they called me today (same day I took it in) and they say they had to replace the batt, they claim that they could not have replaced the batt untile the computer reader displaced the replace code, even if they already know that the batt is not good. That really bothered me, if you know what the problem is but cant fix it until you can get reinburst for the batt???? I will get it today.

My previous cars were a 325 XI, and an LR3. I love my SRX so much more but its hard to pay luxury money and not sure if its going to start when I get into it....:bomb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.