1 Month Old - Battery Dead!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 1 Month Old - Battery Dead! in Cadillac SRX Forums; So I go out in the garage at 0500 this morning, still groggy from the long holiday weekend. I grab ...
    rtsittner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD in Graphite Metallic

1 Month Old - Battery Dead!

So I go out in the garage at 0500 this morning, still groggy from the long holiday weekend. I grab the door handle and give it a tug...Nothing. I yank a little harder...Nada. I retrieve my remote and hit the unlock...the power liftgate...the alarm...Zilch!!! I had to pull the key from the remote fob and open the door manually (BTW - good idea GM!). The car is dead - all except for the analog clock (???). I pop the hood and jump it with my portable Jump-n-Start and it started right up and set-off the alarm (sorry to the wife and kids for waking them up so early). I had to reprogram my radio favorites, but it retained all of my preferences in the configuration settings.

Now, the volt meter shows 14.6V at idle and 12.4V when the engine is off but the ignition is in On/Run/Start, which appears to be normal.

What could have caused the battery to drain over a 2-day period? Nothing was left on (lighting, etc...). The only "unusual" event was that the last time I drove the SRX, I used the remote start to pre-warm the car. I got in, drove home and shut down normally. It shouldn't make any difference, but have not used the remote start feature before.

Another "remote" possibility - my wife left her purse in her car with her remote in it. It was parked next my car in the garage. If the remote was close enough, could it have kept the SRX's systems active somehow causing the battery to drain?

Any ideas???

Randy

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

spence-29300 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Re: 1 Month Old - Battery Dead!

Though it seems nothing was left on, my first thought would be to check for an inside light ("convenience light") that was on but unnoticed. Assuming the SRX instrument brightness switch is like many cars, have a look at the position of the switch, which may control an inside light that's not obvious. I once left an inside light my wife's car on without realizing when I bumped the instrument control in getting out in an airport parking lot. Though the switch location was low on the dash to the right of the steering, just where your knee might brush it, she wasn't very understanding (that was a Contour SVT.) My truck has a "cargo light" that's not very obvious that's controlled by the instrument dial -- all convenience features that can be trap. Of course there may also be a door light switch that's stuck or not quite right, or another similar malfuctioning switch, like an under the hood light or trunk light. Because of interior lights staying on with a timer when you leave the car, it's easier for another interior light to be unnoticed, for example if a door isn't completely closed.

xrs01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2

Her key was left in her purse, in her car, parked right next to it. I would assume within about 3-4 feet of the SRX?

Was her cell phone also left in her purse? And if so, is it paired (bluetooth) with the SRX?

Bluetooth has a fairly long range. My wife has a CTS, and I've gone out the garage to get something out of her car (using my key), and when I do, it'll connect to her cell phone, which is in the kichen about 30 feet away (she leaves her cell phone on all the time, I turn mine off once I get home).

So - is it possible since the key in the purse might have been "within range", that her cell phone (or possibly yours) was connected?

Thanks for the replies spence-29300 & xrs01. I checked and rechecked the lighting and nothing is on that should not be. And as for my wife's phone, it has not been paired with the SRX, so that was not a factor.

Thanks anyway...

Randy

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

During this 2 day period when you didn't drive the car, did you frequently unlock and/or lock the car using the remote? Whenever you do, you know the HID headlights come on and stay on for a while. Was anyone (including you) using the stereo or other electronics in the vehicle? I do know leaving the remote in the car shouldn't cause a drain. I do that all of the time. If there is an electrical problem, maybe OnStar can diagnose it. Did you try that?

Sube

ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

Using the remote start has been known to cause weird electrical problems, in the 08 and 09 CTS. The first time after I used it in my 08 CTS the pop up NAV wouldn't function correctly. After I turned the car off and back on it never happened again. Their was a lot of complaints on the 08 CTS forum concerning the remote start, but it didn't need any repair.

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

...and far be it from me to state the obvious, but you might actually have a bad battery.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by RightTurn View Post
    ...and far be it from me to state the obvious, but you might actually have a bad battery.
    It has been known to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    During this 2 day period when you didn't drive the car, did you frequently unlock and/or lock the car using the remote? Whenever you do, you know the HID headlights come on and stay on for a while. Was anyone (including you) using the stereo or other electronics in the vehicle? I do know leaving the remote in the car shouldn't cause a drain. I do that all of the time. If there is an electrical problem, maybe OnStar can diagnose it. Did you try that?

Sube
    Nope. No one was home at all. OnStar did not come up with any faults.

I will keep an eye on things to see if it is the battery or the alternator acting up.

Thanks for the input guys!

Randy

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Hopefully it was just a fluke and won't happen again.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

The stock OEM batteries are usually a AC Delco POS. The key FOB within range of the car did not help things are these new vehicles are quite parasitic with all of their gadgets.

mw1862 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX (FWD Performance Model)

Although I can find no reference to it in the SRX manual, I remember that my Lexus had a warning about leaving the AUTO light activation feature turned on when leaving the vehicle unused for long periods.

I have to say that I never had a problem with a dead battery due to leaving the feature left on due to forgetting to turn it off.

Battery may just be bad or the alternator that provides the charge may be have an issue.

Regarding remote start, I have used this feature many times with no problems. Good luck.

Thanks to all for your input. Not sure why all of the electrons decided to leave for a Thanksgiving holiday too

Oh well... Let's just say that the Voltage status is my "favorite" display in the DIC for now!

Drive on...

Randy

bigbarry2u is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Same thing happened to me last Thursday. I had driven the car the night before. No lights seemed to be on.

Roadside assistance came out and they felt like there must be something causing a drain.

They took the car to the service department of a dealership who claimed they could not reproduce the problem. Charged up the battery and sent me on my way.

:/

sandyfla is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

My car battery went dead on day 58 of my 60 day buy back guarantee. We called onstar they sent a guy to jump the battery, after he jumped it and we let it idle for the preseccribed 30minutes - my husband notice the lighton the D was odd. He had this happento his car and it was the transmissionmodule - so he called me - I called the dealerhsip andthey sent a tow truck - the car does have a bad transmissionmodule.....now what to do....keep the car, take the cash and buy something else....since I traded my BMW for it, I didn't think about having to pay sales tax difference on the new car - will have to pay all the sales tax on a new car.....so it's not such a great deal after all - after having a problem so quickly I don't trust the car....
    smiles

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.