1 Month Old - Battery Dead! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 1 Month Old - Battery Dead! in Cadillac SRX Forums; The end of the saga, GM sent out their adjuster, he wrote a check (u know you can't have more ...
    sandyfla is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Re: 1 Month Old - Battery Dead!

The end of the saga, GM sent out their adjuster, he wrote a check (u know you can't have more than 2,000 miles on the vehicle nor can there be more than 200 in damages to the interior, exterior, engine and so on..) the dealership traded cars with me for the lovely red one with the DVD in the back headrests (know my puppies will love that on trips LOL)...THe dealership thought about what I said about the additional sales tax that I would be spending and came up with a deal for both of us....so I am very happy with Kevin Murphy of Murphy Cadillac in Melbourne, Florida. Thanks Kevin.

The new 2010 SRX has already had the 5 hour software download and I feel much safer in the car. The colour is awesome, I did have to give up my chrome wheels as this one had the painted wheels but living so close to the ocean it's okay, they weon't pit as quickly. So the answer to the question no nothing was left on, it is a software glich and it causes the battery to drain so get to your dealership and get the upgrade....Smiles and thanks for so many replies.....but remember it may not be the battery but the software...

Smiles
    Sandy in her Crystal Red SRX 2010

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by sandyfla View Post
    The new 2010 SRX has already had the 5 hour software download and I feel much safer in the car. The colour is awesome, I did have to give up my chrome wheels as this one had the painted wheels but living so close to the ocean it's okay, they won't pit as quickly. So the answer to the question no nothing was left on, it is a software glich and it causes the battery to drain so get to your dealership and get the upgrade....Smiles and thanks for so many replies.....but remember it may not be the battery but the software...

Smiles
    Sandy in her Crystal Red SRX 2010
    Sandy,

Let me see if I understand this. They never did do the software update on your original SRX? I can't understand why the update took 5 hours. I had the exact same update done on my car and it took about an hour. I wasn't having any problems, they just did it because it was a recommended update.

Did you ask if they could swap the wheels out? I'm sure they would have if you'd asked.

I feel you on the awesome color. Mine is Chrystal Red too.

Sube

ByByBMW is offline Cadillac Owners Member

One other outsiders view on the battery issue. And no, I don't have an SRX, yet, but I plan too.

Anyways, have had three GM vehicles, bought new, since 2005. Of those, two of the three had issues with the AC Delco batteries. One was a 2005 Corvette and the other a 2007 (?) CTS. Both killed the batteries within 1 1/2 years of purchase, new. The Corvette just seemed to eat batteries as a snack. The CTS died because of a shorted plate. On the Corvette, I put in an Optima and even though it was okay at best, I had to keep it on a tender. The dealer replaced the CTS battery and it was okay until I sold the car about 5 months later. The third car, my current corvette, I keep on a battery tender and after 1 1/2 years, the battery is still hanging in there.
    Why all this info? another forums are full of stories about AD Delco batteries and how bad they have gotten lately.
    Personally, once I get my SRX, I will put a Sears Platinum battery in it at the first sign of trouble. JMHO.

xrs01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2

Add one more dead battery to the list.

Couldn't find my cell phone this morning - thought it might have come off my belt in the car last night. So - I went out to the SRX in the driveway and hit the 'unlock' button, and just a small click...no lights, no unlock. I had to use the real key (geez, that sucks, having to use something mechanical...).

I tried to jump start it with the portable jump starter. The lights on the portable starter showed it was about 75% charged. It was not enough to turn over the engine.

Sube - it's the same one you bought. Most likely it would only turn over the engine if it's 100% charged - and may not even then. So - keep it charged, and also keep jumper cables handy.

So - I had to use my wife's '09 CTS to jump start it. Started right up. The little cover over the postive terminal broke off - the dealer will replace that. At least both the CTS and SRX have easy to get to, clearly marked positive and negative terms.

It appeared that it relearned the TPMS and a few other items. However, the TPMS warning light remained lit, as did the Check Engine Soon light. The outside temperature indicator did not display after.

Drove it to the dealer - I told them about the SW updates for battery drain, and they are going to check everything and do all downloads.

Three things were different when I got out of the car last night.

1. I used "Centerpoint" on the way home for the first time. (It does make a difference). It was on when I turned off the car. {probably not a contributing factor}

2. I left the intermittant rear wiper in the "On" position when I turned off the car. (Normally I turn it off). {probably not a contributing factor}

3. The cell phone did come off my belt, and was left in the car all night long. When I turned the car off, it was still connected via bluetooth. Although it should disconnect when the car is turned off - I'm wondering if it really did. The cell phone was flashing "Low Battery" this morning - and it was charged about 70% yesterday afternoon. Normally it takes 3 full 24-hour days to go from 100% to "Low Battery". (Cold temperature may have had an effect on it last night).

Whatever the reason, they are going to do SW updates, and fix everything. In the meantime, they gave me an Escalade as a loaner until they are done.

xrs01,

That jump starter doesn't have a lot of amperage. If your battery is "really" dead you'll probably have to leave it connected to the car battery for a while to charge it before it'll start. I guess that's the trade off for it being so small.

I also noticed how difficult it was to open the cap over the + terminal on the battery. I had to stick a butter knife in the slot to unsnap it. You'll probably have to do the same to avoid breaking the new one.

You may have touched on something with the Bluetooth. The second you turn the car off you should get a "Bluetooth disconnected" message on your cellphone. If you don't, then there's a good chance it's still connected. This may be the cause of the battery drain. I thought of something else. The SRX has a feature called Retained Accessory Power (RAP, page 8-18). After you turn off the engine the vehicle retains power to the radio, windows and moonroof for ten minutes or until the driver's door is opened. Say you're sitting in the front passenger's seat playing with the radio, and you exit from that door, the RAP will remain on. If your cellphone still has a BT connection, maybe it's remaining on for longer than the 10 minutes it's supposed to. This might be worth looking into.

Sube

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    xrs01,

That jump starter doesn't have a lot of amperage. If your battery is "really" dead you'll probably have to leave it connected to the car battery for a while to charge it before it'll start. I guess that's the trade off for it being so small.

I also noticed how difficult it was to open the cap over the + terminal on the battery. I had to stick a butter knife in the slot to unsnap it. You'll probably have to do the same to avoid breaking the new one.

You may have touched on something with the Bluetooth. The second you turn the car off you should get a "Bluetooth disconnected" message on your cellphone. If you don't, then there's a good chance it's still connected. This may be the cause of the battery drain. I thought of something else. The SRX has a feature called Retained Accessory Power (RAP, page 8-18). After you turn off the engine the vehicle retains power to the radio, windows and moonroof for ten minutes or until the driver's door is opened. Say you're sitting in the front passenger's seat playing with the radio, and you exit from that door, the RAP will remain on. If your cellphone still has a BT connection, maybe it's remaining on for longer than the 10 minutes it's supposed to. This might be worth looking into.

Sube

Left the jump starter connected for about 10 minutes (didn't help). Then I tried the second one I have, and left it connected for about 10 minutes. Still no help. Engine barely turned over, but not even close enough to start. Both units were about 70% charged. I've bought them the day after Thanksgiving and charged them, so they've been sitting for a month. I guess it's best to charge them every 3 weeks or so to maintain close to 100%.

dctex99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Lexus RX350, Satin Cashmere Metallic

I would advise a 2amp trickle charger every weekend for awhile; so you can depend on your portables to bail you out...I do that on a stored vehicle I drive about 8 times a year and the battery is 6 years old...my .02

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

There is nothing wrong with an AC Delco battery that other manufacturers don't have problems with. The SRX uses a top post battery, as do all of our new cars.
    The biggest issue Delco ever had was acid leaking side terminals that caused battery failures on the 75, 78 and 79 series batteries. Those are gone. (from a new factory assembly standpoint) I think even the DTS underseat battery is a top post now.

There can be dozens of reasons why a battery goes down. There is a recall to update RCDLR software for battery drain on affected VINs, check with your dealer to see if it applies to your car.
    The recall should not take 5 hours, it pays four tenths (.4) of an hour.
    HOWEVER... this programming is done through an application called TIS2WEB that we use through the GM Globalconnect website. The data files are on a server, which sometimes we have issues with. Also the '10 SRX uses a new scan tool and interface.
    Our new tool is called an MDI or "multiple diagnostic interface". It works via a wireless network (or wired with a 6 foot cord) and it runs through PC applications like TIS2WEB and something called GDS or "global diagnostic system".
    This is our replacement setup for the Tech 2, and the Tech 2 will not be updated to work on this car (and more as the years go by).
    I said all that to say this... a lot of guys are stuck in the past and are having real issues making the transition to this new technology scan tool. The delay could have been a compilation of difficulty with equipment, tech experience level, and server issues.
    Apart from the .4 for the recall itself there can be issues in the dealership such as how long it takes to write you up once you get there, how busy the shop is and how quickly they can get someone on it in the first place, equipment issues, and the like.
    In a perfect world this should take less than an hour to address.

It would be hard to "leave something on" and run the battery down. Anything Cadillac has advanced load shedding capabilities and inadvertent power protection that should prevent battery run down due to factory installed accessories. As with most things, there could be other things that happen.

I can understand an appreciate loss in that feeling of reliability. I do my best to restore that for people but sometimes you just can't get past it.
    I am glad to hear that your dealer helped you out Sandy.

ewill3rd,

Thanks for that informative post. I'm sure you've cleared up a lot of misconceptions and alleviated some fears. As far as the software update and the server goes, you're right on the money. My Service Manager told me the exact same thing.

We need more "Cadillac Educated" people like you on here.

Sube

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    ewill3rd,

Thanks for that informative post. I'm sure you've cleared up a lot of misconceptions and alleviated some fears. As far as the software update and the server goes, you're right on the money. My Service Manager told me the exact same thing.

We need more "Cadillac Educated" people like you on here.

Sube
    ewill3rd:

I'll second sube's remarks.

So far, all the posts of yours that I've read have been a good source of information and facts, and non-emotional.

Please continue posting in the future - you add value to this forum.

Thanks!

Thanks guys, sometimes I make the mistake of expressing personal views and sometimes I do get wound up but I try to keep it on an even keel for the most part.

This 10 SRX is called a "Global A" vehicle and there are TONS of changes on it that a lot of guys are not necessarily ready for.
    It sucks as a consumer I know but bear in mind sometimes GM doesn't really "prepare" us adequately.
    I am in a fight right now with some engineers about the parking brake release on the global A vehicles on our GM tech forum but some progress is being made.

We have a lot of techs on the GM forum really freaking out about GDS and the MDI. Some of it is poor planning, some of it is bad implementation, some of it is laziness at the dealer level because this new system requires more advanced hardware and dealers don't want to shell out the cash required to make it run smoothly.... and some is just techs that are falling behind. The GDS interface is clunky and not very intuitive and it doesn't have features we really need but the fact that it is PC based is promising because we can give them feedback and they can change it with a software update. This is not unlike the rollout of the Tech 2 back in the nineties.

Only too glad to help out if I can.
    Granted, some of my views are skewed but....

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    I am in a fight right now with some engineers about the parking brake release on the global A vehicles on our GM tech forum but some progress is being made.
    ewill3rd,

Just curious. What's the deal with the parking brake release? I always thought there should be an automatic release when you shift into "D" or "R". Is that what your fight was about? I know if you drive with the brake on it automatically releases, but that's just to prevent you from inadvertently driving with the parking brake on. Not exactly the same thing.

Sube

My "fight" is about a manual release procedure.
    The ignition must be on to release it electronically but twice now I have had vehicles come in on the hook without the ability to turn on because it couldn't see the transmitter. (one was just lost)
    Someone had set the parking brake and to program them you have to have them in range of the wireless network.

There is a procedure listed in service information but it is vague on the location of the service plug to access the manual release.
    It also says to use "an appropriate square drive tool" instead of calling out the actual size of the drive unit.
    The only release is accessed by getting under the vehicle and removing an access plug in the brake unit itself then turning the square drive (whatever size it is) up to 50 times!!!
    Step one is raise and support the vehicle. My issues are as follows:
    1. Where is this system going to fail where I can raise the car up on a lift to access it?
    2. I want a specific location, description, or maybe even a picture (this IS the 21st century right?) of where the release plug is.
    3. I would like to know what kind of tool I need specifically before I crawl under a car with a problem especially when it is something odd like a "square drive".

I have an engineer trying to find some details and I think someone else was looking at one so I asked them to get pictures. I gave feedback to the service information people on what we need in the field and I am confident that they will give me an answer and update the service information but it will be a while.

It is frustrating to deal with issues like this while customers are standing behind me wondering why I don't know what I am doing.... *sigh*

loopcatcher is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX GF-LUX (FWD)

Hello all,

Former lurker, now a member.
    My wife and i are excited about the pending delivery of our Gray Flannel 2010 SRX (with Luxury package).
    This site has been a tremendous resource and your experiences with this vehicle have put me at ease,especially with the dead-battery issue.

Thanks again,

bozowing is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

eWill3rd,
    Huh? Are you talking English?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.