potential newbie
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, potential newbie in Cadillac SRX Forums; I currently have a 2007 Acura mdx, I am thinking of trading it for an Srx, I drove a fwd ...
    ductman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

potential newbie

I currently have a 2007 Acura mdx, I am thinking of trading it for an Srx,
    I drove a fwd performance model and was greatly impressed. I have a couple of questions : ( dealer had no luxury models to drive )

1. My choices are either an awd luxury without nav or a fwd luxury with the navigation ( stay within a budget )
    and upgraded bose sound system.
    2. How does the fwd luxury handle with the 18in tires verse the luxury awd
    ( wondering why such a tall tire ( 235/65/18 ) ?
    3. I live in the Phila area, is awd that necessary.

4. Which model would you choose ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: potential newbie

That's a hard choice. Personally, the NAV is a must for me. I have a NAV program on my cell phone and I've used stand alone units before, but neither compares to a top notch factory NAV like the one in the SRX. It has an eight inch screen and it's so well integrated with the rest of the electronics. It momentarily lowers the volume of the stereo or incoming cell phone calls whenever it gives you directions. Also, what some people fail to realize is that NAV isn't just for directions. It'll locate restaurants, gas stations, ATM's, etc. This is great when you're in an unfamiliar area. Plus, that lady's voice is so damned pleasant .

Now I know the Philly area pretty well. Drove front wheel drive vehicles in and around the city in the snow for years. Never had a problem. However, AWD is not just for snow. Intelligent AWD is also a safety feature, as far as handling on wet roads, especially curves. The SRX will not only vary the drive ratio from front to rear, but also on the same axle.

Whatever choice you make, I'm sure you'll be happy with her .

Sube

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

^^ For most of those reasons, I did NOT buy the NAV. I tried the OnStar "Directions and Connections" plan, where all you do is press the OnStar button, give them the address, and they download turn-by-turn directions to the car. The cute little "mini-nav" screen in the middle of the speedometer displays a map (of sorts) showing upcoming turns, etc. The verbal directions are exactly like any other NAV...even if you go off-course you get the "recalculating" scolding. IMO, the OnStar is the best choice...never need another NAV update disk, either. Plus, it would take about 10 years of buying OnStar Directions and Connections to equal the cost of the pop-up NAV. (As for points of interest, just push OnStar and ask.)

Oh, and I can't comment on AWD...I'm in Houston.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

AWD is something that you get spoiled by. I had never had it until my X3 in 2004. I'm currently at the end of the lease on my 2nd X3 and will not buy another vehicle without it. I get much more snow is Central New York, than you get in Philadelphia. Still, it's very effective in bad weather in general. Sube makes a good point. AWD is not just for snow. Look at all the wet leaves on the ground. You will pay a small mpg penalty with AWD as well. As far as the Nav goes, it's a nice toy to have if you can afford it. Portable units are much less expensive and more easily upgrade and/or replaced. They can be moved from one vehicle to another, and that includes a rental car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.