My 48 hr SRX Test Drive
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, My 48 hr SRX Test Drive in Cadillac SRX Forums; ...
    sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

My 48 hr SRX Test Drive

I just completed a 48 hour test drive and thought I’d share my experience. I took some quick cell phone pics of the interior. I tried to photograph things people may "not" have seen. The exterior was dirty. Photos wouldn't really have done it justice.

Vehicle Description: 2010 SRX, 3.0L AWD, Gold Mist, Shale/Brownstone, Premium Collection, 20” Chrome Wheels, Rear Infotainment System

Initial Impressions –

I’d have to say the interior is ergonomically and aesthetically ahead of anything else in its class. For the money, there’s nothing else out there that even comes close. From the stitched leather door panels to the genuine Sapele wood inserts, the SRX is like a luxury suite on wheels with amenities galore. You may not want to get out once you arrive at your destination. Exterior and interior fit and finish are impeccable! The ambient lighting is elegant and tastefully done. Light pipes illuminate the dash and all four door panels. The driver’s floor, front passenger’s floor, both rear passenger’s floor and the center console are also aglow in soft white light. The UltraView moon roof is amazing! You’ll never want to go back to a traditional moon roof. There are a total of four 12V outlets for your cell phone, MP3 player, video games for the kids, etc. The two tier glove box is humungous. The lower tier actually has its own cooling vent. The armrest has three different horizontal positions. The power operated rear lid has an auto reverse feature in case it hits an obstruction. The cabin is roomy and comfortable. The rear seats recline, having a total of four different positions. There is an adjustable center head restraint for the rear passenger. It’s integrated into the seat back so well, looking at photos you’d never know it was there. The rear seat backs fold down completely flat, unlike some other vehicles. My only complaint is that the rear passenger leg room could be better. Cadillac has really come a long way.

Test Drive –

On the road the SRX proved to be a tight and solid performer. I heard no squeaks or rattles whatsoever. The triple door seals and acoustically dampened windshield make for an extremely quite interior. The SRX takes curves just like a car, with no noticeable body roll. Bumps are effectively absorbed by the suspension. Before I took my test drive, I perused this forum thoroughly in search of any and all glitches. First, was the dreaded thumping noise from the UltraView moon roof. This is what’s called “wind buffering”. As explained to me by the salesman, when you open the moon roof, it stops about four inches prior to opening fully. This position is specifically designed to prevent wind buffering, and is effective at doing so. If you click the switch again, it opens fully. In this position you will hear wind buffering. This is a perfectly normal principle of physics. It’s easily alleviated by simply cracking a rear window. If the moon roof opening in the first position doesn’t provide you with enough air, you should be driving a convertible. Secondly, was the issue of insufficient torque. I discovered something I’m sure all are not aware of. The SRX actually has three different driving modes. “Normal” is the default setting. If you simply move the gear shift to “D” you’re in the normal setting. This is designed strictly for comfort. It provides the smoothest gear shifts. With the gear shift in “D”, move it to the left and you’ve entered the “Sport” mode. It is exactly as the name implies. This provides a sportier feel with better acceleration. The color display will indicate you’re in this mode. While in the “Sport” position, move the shifter fore and aft. You’ll notice red numbers appear on the color display. You’re now in the manual “Sport” mode. This is basically a clutchless manual transmission. If you enjoy increasing your driving workload or you just like to reminisce about the glory days with your first “muscle car”, then this is the setting for you. The “Normal” mode should provide adequate acceleration for 90% of those who drive it. The other 10% will be perfectly satisfied in “Sport” mode.

Cons –

1. Unfortunately, this particular vehicle had some mechanical defects. I detected weird scratching noises emanating from behind the dash while the heater was running. The noise was not from the fan itself. These sounds persisted even “after” the heater was shut down. The Service Manager initially stated that this was probably normal, due to all of the electronics. I knew it wasn’t, so I checked another SRX on the lot and noticed it was perfectly silent. The Service Manager then stated it’s definitely a mechanical defect.

2. I noticed a constant high pitched sound whenever the ignition was in the “On” position with the engine off. I must point out that this is completely undetectable outdoors. I first heard this in my garage with the overhead door closed and no background noise. I had them pull it into their service garage and close the garage doors. Four different employees all noticed it, including a 73 year old with poor hearing. It was much loader in my garage due to the close proximity of the walls. They said I was the first person to point this out to them. After checking two additional SRX’s on the lot, it was discovered that all produced the same noise. So this is normal for the SRX, but this should “not” be normal for any vehicle, especially a $50,000 one. They’re checking into this and will get back to me. I’ll post their findings.

The following complaints could be considered nitpicking, but I’ll mention them just the same. Note: These are relatively minor issues, none of which should be considered a deal breaker.

1. Power operated parking brake doesn’t release automatically when you shift into “Drive” or “Reverse”. Why have a power operated parking brake if you’re not going to take full advantage of it?

2. No slide out extensions on the sun visors. When swung out to the side, short sun visors like these never seem to block all of the sun.

3. No eyeglass holder. In all fairness, there just isn’t space for it on the headliner with all of the UltraView controls. However, the upper door pockets are suitable for this.

4. No “Back” button when using the controller to navigate the display. You have to switch back to the touch screen to select “Back”. You should be able to use the touch screen to control everything or the controller for everything.

5. No conventional cargo net. There’s only a horizontal tie down net. How do you transport groceries packed in those annoying plastic bags?

6. No remote release for the fuel filler door. The door is spring loaded. Push it in to open it. Why Cadillac omitted this perplexes me. Sure, make it easy for vandals to access your fuel tank.

Final Analysis –

Make sure to test drive the “actual” SRX you’re buying. As far as examining features and looking for defects, I spent two hours at the dealer and that wasn’t even enough time to scratch the surface. Insist on being able to keep it overnight. If everything is functioning normally, buy/lease and enjoy!

Sube

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Re: My 48 hr SRX Test Drive

Good review. Thanks!

Barry626 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    Cons –
    1. Power operated parking brake doesn’t release automatically when you shift into “Drive” or “Reverse”. Why have a power operated parking brake if you’re not going to take full advantage of it?
    Guess u did not test it correctly?
    Once set all u do is step on th gas & brake releases automatically!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry626 View Post
    Guess u did not test it correctly?
    Once set all u do is step on the gas & brake releases automatically!
    I didn't think it made sense for it not to have this. No one at the dealer seemed to be familiar with the SRX's features. I wasn't given the owner's manual either. Had that been the case, I'm sure I would have discovered this for myself.

Thanks for pointing this out .

Sube

Eldo1953 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV

2. I noticed a constant high pitched sound whenever the ignition was in the “On” position with the engine off. I must point out that this is completely undetectable outdoors. I first heard this in my garage with the overhead door closed and no background noise. I had them pull it into their service garage and close the garage doors. Four different employees all noticed it, including a 73 year old with poor hearing. It was much loader in my garage due to the close proximity of the walls. They said I was the first person to point this out to them. After checking two additional SRX’s on the lot, it was discovered that all produced the same noise. So this is normal for the SRX, but this should “not” be normal for any vehicle, especially a $50,000 one. They’re checking into this and will get back to me. I’ll post their findings.
    Probably the HID headlight ballasts. They all do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo1953 View Post
    Probably the HID headlight ballasts. They all do it.
    So, would they produce this noise even if the headlights were off? I hear the noise when the ignition is on, but the headlights are off.

Sube

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Thanks Sube! BTW it's wind buffeting not buffering. My X3 does the exact same thing. Roof open most of the way on the first press, another press extends it if desired. That premium sure is sweet.

Bee iLL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Raven Black STS-V, 2010 Radiant Silver SRX Premium 2.8T

Not sure if this is the same noise because I have yet to test drive one, but the STS-V makes a high pitch noise also. I can't seem to find the thread now in the STS-V forum, but I believe it was tracked down to something with the Keyless Entry or Security system. The noise happens when the car locks for about 15-30 seconds, when the car is unlocked or when the car is put into ACC mode. If it is the same noise, there is nothing that can be done about it and is normal for the vehicle. You get use to it and I don't even notice it anymore unless someone else asks what that noise is.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

How do you transport groceries packed in those annoying plastic bags?
    Open the lid on the rear storage bin and hang them from the little T hooks. That's what they're there for.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

I just completed a 48 hour test drive and thought I’d share my experience. ...

2. No slide out extensions on the sun visors. When swung out to the side, short sun visors like these never seem to block all of the sun.

Sube

Actually, i checked this out before i ordered mine. I am a tall guy, and it was going to piss me off buying a $60000 CDN vehicle that the sun visors can't cover the sun. SO, i popped the visor over to where it would block the sun, and noticed right on the 90* angle anchoring the visor, there is a little <--> arrow on the inside of the plastic on the corner. I immediately pulled on the whole visor, and it slid all the way to the B pillar, effectively covering the sun and sealing the deal for me!

And good to know some of the other tricks before i get mine, but now you're killing me Sube! I have a hard enough time waiting for mine to arrive!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bee iLL View Post
    The noise happens when the car locks for about 15-30 seconds, when the car is unlocked or when the car is put into ACC mode. If it is the same noise, there is nothing that can be done about it and is normal for the vehicle. You get use to it and I don't even notice it anymore unless someone else asks what that noise is.
    Those are the exact times I heard the noise with the SRX. OK, I feel a little better now. It still seems hard to believe more people haven't complained about this and Cadillac hasn't addressed it. I guess I'm just more particular than most.

Sube

Bee iLL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Raven Black STS-V, 2010 Radiant Silver SRX Premium 2.8T

Those are the exact times I heard the noise with the SRX. OK, I feel a little better now. It still seems hard to believe more people haven't complained about this and Cadillac hasn't addressed it. I guess I'm just more particular than most.

Sube
    Several STS-V forum members, including myself, have brought this to the attention of the stealership, and after the dealer has contacted cadillac tech support, the official response is, "It's a normal function of the features installed in the car..."

Quote Originally Posted by Bee iLL View Post
    Several STS-V forum members, including myself, have brought this to the attention of the stealership, and after the dealer has contacted cadillac tech support, the official response is, "It's a normal function of the features installed in the car..."
    Oh, OK. Guess we'll just have to live with it. At least you tried .

Sube

Barry626 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Actually, i checked this out before i ordered mine. I am a tall guy, and it was going to piss me off buying a $60000 CDN vehicle that the sun visors can't cover the sun. SO, i popped the visor over to where it would block the sun, and noticed right on the 90* angle anchoring the visor, there is a little <--> arrow on the inside of the plastic on the corner. I immediately pulled on the whole visor, and it slid all the way to the B pillar, effectively covering the sun and sealing the deal for me!
    Wow, I would of never known this & thank-you for this great tip!

RacerCub68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI, FE2, All Opts.

Before worrying about the fuel door, check it with the doors locked. I have a $65k Benz roadster and my fuel door is push to open. However, and maybe this is a European thing, central locking locks everthing. The fuel door can only be opened when the doors are unlocked.

If you want a funky noise, sit in a new CTS with Nav in the garage after you turn it off. You will hear "beep-boop, beep-beep-boop", etc., of the computer system data playing out through the stereo speakers. It was a bit freaky the first time I heard it. Not as freeky as the car not revving over 3,000 RPM in neutral when I wanted to check the exhuast repair, but I was told that block was put in because too many first gen CTS-V owners were neutral dropping.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.