Looking into 2010 SRX, questions?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Looking into 2010 SRX, questions? in Cadillac SRX Forums; I'm looking into a 2010 SRX for my grandparents, they currently have a 2009. I went to the dealer to ...
    Klei14 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX, 2008 G37 6MT

Looking into 2010 SRX, questions?

I'm looking into a 2010 SRX for my grandparents, they currently have a 2009. I went to the dealer to look at the 2010, and I was really not too happy to see less storage room and a 3rd row window that is half the size of the previous model.

I test drove the 2010 and was really suprised by how bad the blind spot is on the rear of the truck and overall lack of rear visability.

The dealer tells me it will be 8-10 weeks before the white will be in the showrooms? Is that correct?

What types of deals are people getting, I was told the best they could do is 1,000$ off MSRP.

Thanks,

Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Looking into 2010 SRX, questions?

You won't find many "deals" on the SRX; they are selling faster than the dealers can get them right now. The dealer should be able to give you the $500 off for giving up the 60-day return promo in addition to that $1000. I don't know about the white; I haven't seen one yet.

I've had mine for a few weeks and don't find the visibility/blind spots to be a problem.

Klei14 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX, 2008 G37 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by RightTurn View Post
    You won't find many "deals" on the SRX; they are selling faster than the dealers can get them right now. The dealer should be able to give you the $500 off for giving up the 60-day return promo in addition to that $1000. I don't know about the white; I haven't seen one yet.

I've had mine for a few weeks and don't find the visibility/blind spots to be a problem.
    Blind spots might just seem bad to me compared to my Sierra, but removing the 3rd row window does not help with visability.

sube5186 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

How To Get The Best Price - Tricks of the Trade

I say wait until supply catches up with demand. Dealers will be more apt to negotiate. Go to www.kbb.com. Select "2010 SRX". Then click "Price With Options". Build you SRX exactly the way you want. You'll be able to determine the dealer invoice price (with options) right down to the penny. For years car buyers were kept in the dark with regards to invoice prices. If you don't know what the dealer paid for a car, you can't know if you're getting a good deal.

When we bought my wife's car, a 2008 Subaru Tribeca, we took the KBB printout to the dealer and showed them what they paid for the car. Then, we proceeded to tell (not ask) them that we'd only purchase it for dealer invoice. To my surprise, it didn't take any arm twisting. The salesman accepted our offer without haggling. This was a completely redesigned new model for that year. When you show up to buy a car prepared, sales people know they can't pull the wool over you eyes, so they don't even try to. An educated, informed consumer is a car salesman's worse nightmare.

Why in God's name would they sell at car at cost you ask? If you get financing through them, they're still making money off of you. They don't need to make money on both ends. I also found out years ago from a friend who sells cars that car dealerships are more concerned with how many vehicles they move, than how much profit is made from each sale. When I bought my previous car I also negotiated from the dealer's invoice. The salesman "assumed" I was financing through them. Once I got the price down to where I wanted, I sprung it on him that I was getting financing through my credit union. You should have seen his jaw drop!

Now I doubt if you'd have the kind of success we had with our Subaru with a new model as popular as the SRX, but there's no reason you need to give them $1,000 over dealer invoice. In a few months the SRX will be just another new vehicle, putting you in a much better position to negotiate.

Sube

dctex99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Lexus RX350, Satin Cashmere Metallic

Re: How To Get The Best Price - Tricks of the Trade

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    I say wait until supply catches up with demand. Dealers will be more apt to negotiate. Go to www.kbb.com. Select "2010 SRX". Then click "Price With Options". Build you SRX exactly the way you want. You'll be able to determine the dealer invoice price (with options) right down to the penny. For years car buyers were kept in the dark with regards to invoice prices. If you don't know what the dealer paid for a car, you can't know if you're getting a good deal.

When we bought my wife's car, a 2008 Subaru Tribeca, we took the KBB printout to the dealer and showed them what they paid for the car. Then, we proceeded to tell (not ask) them that we'd only purchase it for dealer invoice. To my surprise, it didn't take any arm twisting. The salesman accepted our offer without haggling. This was a completely redesigned new model for that year. When you show up to buy a car prepared, sales people know they can't pull the wool over you eyes, so they don't even try to. An educated, informed consumer is a car salesman's worse nightmare.

Why in God's name would they sell at car at cost you ask? If you get financing through them, they're still making money off of you. They don't need to make money on both ends. I also found out years ago from a friend who sells cars that car dealerships are more concerned with how many vehicles they move, than how much profit is made from each sale. When I bought my previous car I also negotiated from the dealer's invoice. The salesman "assumed" I was financing through them. Once I got the price down to where I wanted, I sprung it on him that I was getting financing through my credit union. You should have seen his jaw drop!

Now I doubt if you'd have the kind of success we had with our Subaru with a new model as popular as the SRX, but there's no reason you need to give them $1,000 over dealer invoice. In a few months the SRX will be just another new vehicle, putting you in a much better position to negotiate.

Sube
    PLUS, they have the 2-3% dealer holdback that they get at the end of the year; sometimes earlier on some brands. Where I live, we don't have a Suburu dealer and folks have to drive to San Diego to find one; we just dont need 4WD,,and many don't find their cars attractive!!

It's always best to be an informed consumer. However many dealerships will show you the invoice if you ask. I have been dealing with the same salesman/dealership for several years and I know what to expect from them. It goes without saying that those of us who want the car "right NOW" are going to pay a premium for the privilege, though we need not be gouged in the process.

The dealer holdback should not be considered in a car deal IMO. How do you think the dealership pays the rent, keeps the lights on, keeps a parts inventory, or keeps the coffee going in the service department? They have to make some profit to continue to operate.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Remember that dealer invoice is an inexact figure. It may or may not include advertising and marketing fees. It does not include dealer incentives or end-of-year holdback.

Smile Re: Looking into 2010 SRX, questions?

Quote Originally Posted by RightTurn View Post
    It's always best to be an informed consumer. However many dealerships will show you the invoice if you ask. I have been dealing with the same salesman/dealership for several years and I know what to expect from them. It goes without saying that those of us who want the car "right NOW" are going to pay a premium for the privilege, though we need not be gouged in the process.

The dealer holdback should not be considered in a car deal IMO. How do you think the dealership pays the rent, keeps the lights on, keeps a parts inventory, or keeps the coffee going in the service department? They have to make some profit to continue to operate.
    I just didn't want that person to think they REALLY bought the vehicle at "dealer cost". And "market adjustments" and "dealer incentives" proliferate down here; so invoice is only an estimate...in fact, take the MSRP by 85% and you have roughly close to "invoice"

How do you know they didn't buy the vehicle at dealer cost? You are making an assumption that may or may not be correct...and who cares? And, I don't agree with your "MSRP x 85%", but whatever. Also, a base model will NOT have the level of wiggle room for discount that a fully loaded one does.

Most of us realize that if we want to wait a few months for the car, there will be more inventory and a better opportunity for incentives. I got exactly what I wanted at a fair price, so I'm satisfied. That's the key to a successful car buying experience, IMO.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by C5 rv
    Remember that dealer invoice is an inexact figure. It may or may not include advertising and marketing fees. It does not include dealer incentives or end-of-year holdback.
    This is very true, except the part about holdback- GM puts our holdback right on the invoice. 80% of Cadillac dealers are also part of a "Local Marketing Association", and those Dealers are charged anywhere from $600 to $900 per car to fund the local Cadillac TV ads. That comes out of our bottom line on every car, and is shown on the invoice as an "LMA/IMR Contribution".

Quote Originally Posted by dctex99
    in fact, take the MSRP by 85% and you have roughly close to "invoice"
    No offense, but your numbers are WAY off. An LMA Dealer (like myself) who gets a nicely equipped $40k SRX has only has about $1,700 of profit between invoice and window sticker. Sure there's a little over a grand in holdback, but as RightTurn pointed out, that's how a Dealer keeps the lights on and the doors open. Don't forget that for every car a dealer sells, they have to pay the salesman who shows you the car, the detailer who cleans it, the bookkeeper who does the tag & title work, the F&I manager that does your paperwork and the sales manager that works the figures - and still have enough left over to cover the building, lights, coffee, shuttle van, etc, etc, etc.....

If a Dealer sells an SRX at Window Sticker, they make a little over 3 grand total, then subtract all the above overhead costs. $3,000 from $40,000 is 8%- not 15%. Just figured I'd share, since one of the most exaggerated myths around is how much profit car Dealers make on new cars. These days everything is spelled out on the invoice, from holdback to LMA costs. Most Dealers will be happy to show it to you in black & white, and despite the rumors, there are no "secret" invoices that we keep in the back room with our "real" cost.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Smile Re: Looking into 2010 SRX, questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    This is very true, except the part about holdback- GM puts our holdback right on the invoice. 80% of Cadillac dealers are also part of a "Local Marketing Association", and those Dealers are charged anywhere from $600 to $900 per car to fund the local Cadillac TV ads. That comes out of our bottom line on every car, and is shown on the invoice as an "LMA/IMR Contribution".

No offense, but your numbers are WAY off. An LMA Dealer (like myself) who gets a nicely equipped $40k SRX has only has about $1,700 of profit between invoice and window sticker. Sure there's a little over a grand in holdback, but as RightTurn pointed out, that's how a Dealer keeps the lights on and the doors open. Don't forget that for every car a dealer sells, they have to pay the salesman who shows you the car, the detailer who cleans it, the bookkeeper who does the tag & title work, the F&I manager that does your paperwork and the sales manager that works the figures - and still have enough left over to cover the building, lights, coffee, shuttle van, etc, etc, etc.....

If a Dealer sells an SRX at Window Sticker, they make a little over 3 grand total, then subtract all the above overhead costs. $3,000 from $40,000 is 8%- not 15%. Just figured I'd share, since one of the most exaggerated myths around is how much profit car Dealers make on new cars. These days everything is spelled out on the invoice, from holdback to LMA costs. Most Dealers will be happy to show it to you in black & white, and despite the rumors, there are no "secret" invoices that we keep in the back room with our "real" cost.
    Thanks for pointing all that out again; it is truly a tough business, and many times the real profit is made on the trade in! I have sold cars; and am quite aware of the business from the T/O system, to the 4 square system for customers.....its quite a business,, And as the "Delivery fee has gone way over 1K, with no profit to the dealer, it bends the percentages!...I have the invoice from my 64 Thunderbird on my wall; the A/C cost the dealer $300,,and sold for $424; now THOSE were some percentages!!AND they didn't have a pesky Window Sticker; so my Red on Red always got sold for OVER what the invoice suggested!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.