Post SRX Mechanical Problems Here
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Post SRX Mechanical Problems Here in Cadillac SRX Forums; I figured we should create a location to list mechanical problems observed by anyone who purchases, leases or test drives ...
    sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Post SRX Mechanical Problems Here

I figured we should create a location to list mechanical problems observed by anyone who purchases, leases or test drives a 2010 SRX. I think it would be beneficial to log these so that we can see if they are isolated incidents or recurring problems. Please don't post ideas for new features or performance improvements here. That should be a separate thread.

So far I've heard the following:

1) A "thumping" wind noise from an open sunroof at speeds above 40 mph

2) Radio stations mysteriously changing by themselves

Sube

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

larryk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 10 SRX Previously 01 BMW X5

Re: Post SRX Mechanical Problems Here

I have two problems (well, three if you count my haunted memory seats)
    1. The right rear tail fin light has a non functioning row of lights. (new assembly on order).
    2. This one makes no sense! When playing music from a USB stick, the songs will "skip" or "hang" ONLY when you first start driving, after you have been driving awhile, they play just fine. I have tried different sticks, and manufacturers, and the result is the same. The problem is not with the stick itself, as they play fine on a computer, and it is not a problem with the song, as the original is fine, and it is not always the same mp3 that messes up. Now an mp3 on a USB stick is just a data file, there are no moving parts, it should either work or not work, the file is either corrupt, or not, there should not be any other possibility...

What bitrate are you MP3s? Higher bitrate files, let's say 320 KBPS, take more processing to decode. If they are 320, try 192 and see if that helps. Regardless, this is a design defect in the audio system. It should play "all" bitrates, especially high ones, as these are more preferable to bring out the best in the system. Just curious. Exactly which audio files is the system compatible with? Will it play WMA or AAC? I already know it won't play Ogg or FLAC. Is this even mentioned in the owner's manual? Have you reported this problem to your dealer? If so, what did they say? Please report back with the results.

The tail light sounds like it might be an isolated incident. Let's hope so. Stuff like this is typical with all new vehicles. It only concerns me if the same problem persists even "after" the part is replaced.

To all other SRX owners out there, please test your stereo system by trying to play MP3 files from a thumb drive. For those who have no idea what we're talking about, get your teenage kid to help you with it .

Sube

larryk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 10 SRX Previously 01 BMW X5

I wouldn't think that the bitrate would would come into it, as after the vehicle is driven, they all play perfectly.
    I think that it only plays mp3's.
    I explained it to my dealer, and they just scratched their heads.

"They just scratched their heads" sounds like they didn't bother to forward this to Cadillac, which means it'll never be fixed. How long is the pause before it starts playing music?

Sube

rtsittner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD in Graphite Metallic

Just one issue so far after a week of ownership...

Could not get the USB port to work at all. No iPOD, no thumb drive, nothing. Took it to the dealer this week and when they pulled the head unit, they found that the USB cable was not connected. Everything works fine now.

rtsittner,

Did you happen to check your SRX for the wind noise problem with the sunroof open? Here's the link.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...one-today.html

Sube

rtsittner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD in Graphite Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    rtsittner,

Did you happen to check your SRX for the wind noise problem with the sunroof open? Here's the link.

Sube
    Sube - I have not had a chance to check out the wind noise issue on my SRX. I live in Washington State, and an open sunroof could lead to greater problems than noise - it's been raining since I brought the car home!

Just a note and I am not sure if it has anything to do with the SRX, but my 1990 Corolla GTS had the same thump/pulsating beat with the sunroof open at speed and so did my 1997 Explorer. FWIW...

Randy

Diamondjim is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Everything I have transfered to the head unit using the thumb drive has worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rtsittner View Post
    Sube - I have not had a chance to check out the wind noise issue on my SRX. I live in Washington State, and an open sunroof could lead to greater problems than noise - it's been raining since I brought the car home!

Randy
    I hear ya Randy! I'll be sure to check this out (among other things) when I test drive the 2.8L Turbo.

Sube

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

The "thumping" sound with the sunroof open is normal for almost all vehicles with a sunroof and a slippery aero design (such as the SRX). It is called wind buffering. The only time this will not happen, is when the windshield/fore section of the vehicle is designed to "toss" the air up and away from the roof, which usually results in poorer gas mileage/aerodynamics.
    Now, this is only pertaining to windspeeds above 100kmh/60 mph (average). If its happening when the windspeed over the roof is less then so, then it would be a design flaw between the aero of the vehicle when the roof is open and not.

Hopefully this helps.

Now, having said that, the SRX, and CTS' use an unusually large sunroof, and so wind buffering may be a problem when the windspeeds are slower then compared to other vehicles.

dctex99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Lexus RX350, Satin Cashmere Metallic

Smile Re: Post SRX Mechanical Problems Here

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    The "thumping" sound with the sunroof open is normal for almost all vehicles with a sunroof and a slippery aero design (such as the SRX). It is called wind buffering. The only time this will not happen, is when the windshield/fore section of the vehicle is designed to "toss" the air up and away from the roof, which usually results in poorer gas mileage/aerodynamics.
    Now, this is only pertaining to windspeeds above 100kmh/60 mph (average). If its happening when the windspeed over the roof is less then so, then it would be a design flaw between the aero of the vehicle when the roof is open and not.

Hopefully this helps.

Now, having said that, the SRX, and CTS' use an unusually large sunroof, and so wind buffering may be a problem when the windspeeds are slower then compared to other vehicles.
    In racing it is called "wind buffeting" don't know if it is different, or a spelling error by the captain.

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post

Hopefully this helps.

I was reading about this phenomenon on several different auto forums; apparently it is a common issue with many makes of cars. Some people recommend those external wind deflectors but I'm not sure how that would look on the SRX. The most common recommendation is to open a rear window about 1".

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

^^ opening a rear window even a crack helps. Also, make sure when the roof is open, climate control is not on recirculate or off.

Barry626 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by larryk View Post
    I have two problems (well, three if you count my haunted memory seats)
    I'm now having problems with my memory seats & exit feature.
    Seat goes back every time when I turn car off & open driver door.
    I lock the doors from remote & when I return to car & open it.
    Sometimes the seat will go to memory position & other times just sits there.
    Pain in butt to have to keep hitting the memory button to get the seat back.
    I thought maybe I have the wrong remote set to wrong memory button?
    I've tried everything & it just keeps acting up. I'm ready to turn exit feature off!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.