Cadillac Owners Forum banner

SRX spare tire kit

282K views 367 replies 121 participants last post by  WILLY92 
#1 ·
the SRX spare tire kit is available. We are getting $295.00 for it plus shipping (GM list of over $400.00). the kit includes wheel, tire, jack, tub to store it all in, and all needed harware. give me a call at 703-824-9670 to get one on the way.

#3 ·
It's an option...:lol: Mine came with the pump thing only; no tire. Of course, there is the 5-year roadside assistance. :D I'm still trying to decide if I want to buy the spare kit or not.

#340 · (Edited by Moderator)
It all a rip off for them to safe money, what could a spare tire weight, and them a call the Cadillac dealer and my cost is $1,000.

the SRX spare tire kit is available. We are getting $295.00 for it plus shipping (GM list of over $400.00). the kit includes wheel, tire, jack, tub to store it all in, and all needed harware. give me a call at 703-824-9670 to get one on the way.
Can you please tell me where could I buy it?

#5 ·
And it is interesting that the GMC Terrain version of this DOES come with a spare; I guess Cadillac assume we only drive on clean freeways!!I have already had one ruined tire, for which a pump and foam fill would not have saved me!! I assume the Equinox comes with a spare also?? I will call and check..

#6 ·
^^Boy, that is strange.

The pump is not a solution. I have small portable air pumps in all my cars. You can find them on sale sometimes for as low as 10 bucks. Great for a small slow leak or to fill up balls. Not a solution for a blowout or good size nail puncture. GM is not doing anybody a favor by throwing that in and taking away a spare. How about providing both? I am a GM fan and defender, so somebody tell me I am missing something here.....please......

#7 ·
I drove Pontiac Bonnevilles from 1990 to 2005 before going to Cadillac. The Bonneville had air shocks in the rear and a tire pump connection in the trunk which came in quite handy for slow leaks. Is this what comes on the SRX? :mad:

They probably left the spare out for fuel economy, and cost savings, but I would be leery of taking a long trip without one. :tisk:

#9 ·
The pump you get as standard equipment looks about the same as the compressors you can find anywhere for about $35 but it has two fill hoses and an integrated/replacable canister of of some kind of filler/sealer compound. You have a choice of pumping in sealer or just adding air.

#11 ·
Ok, that is better I guess than just a compressor. But the average driver, who does not look into these things before having a problem, is going to likely be very confused. Am I understanding that the car does not even come with a jack? So, if you have a blowout, you cannot even just pull over and remove the wheel to go get a new one? If so, I am thinking even if somebody does not feel they need the spare, they should AT LEAST order the jack from Lindsay. I am still shaking my head on this one.

#10 ·
Thanks for the clarification, giannatj. I have looked in the compartment, but have not taken the pump out to see exactly what's there. I'm going to call Luke today and get my spare tire kit on order.

Reactions: RedCadi
#12 ·
I guess the logic is that if your tire is so torn up that you need a tow the jack won't help you much anyway. There is no jack standard. All you get is the compresser and with the sealer compound.

I'm also a little concerned but I'm making the assumption that they tested this stuff on some routine flats before they deleted the compact spare. I hope that's not a dangerous assumption!

#15 ·
Somehow I think a spare tire and jack will magically appear in the 2011 models..this is ridiculous to not have that for a enough space to put my laptop,,,and save the probably $50 that it costs Cadillac for all that.......I just don't understand the logic.........How about optional Chrome lug nuts instead of the cheapos, if they need to raise more pennys....I will delay my purchase for sure:D:thehand:

#16 ·
A spare tire and jack can magically appear in a 2010 if you buy it. :rolleyes: There is plenty of room for your laptop in the back luggage area; just pull the retractable compartment cover over it and voila'. It should be obvious to anyone that there is a finite amount of space under the luggage compartment floor; you'll have to choose whether you want the cute little storage bin or a spare tire. (Anyone who thinks they are not paying for a spare tire on ANY VEHICLE is fooling themselves. If it's on there...you're paying.)

And of course they need to "raise more pennys" [sic], that's why they're in business, which you might have noticed hasn't been too great lately.

#17 ·
Somehow I don't think eliminating a spare tire was a great way to cut corners!! I see ads for the SRX daily on CNBC,,,cut back 10 ads and raise prices $100 and many would be happy. Sadly, I personally think the Terrain is really ugly, even tho it has a spare, so if I bought now, it would be a humble Chevy Equinox(w/standard spare tire,jack,and plastic bag for blown tire) instead of a Caddy!!

#18 ·
As was the point of this thread, you can BUY the spare as optional equipment. It's $300, for heaven's sake. I imagine if you know how to make a deal on a car, you might even NEGOTIATE a spare with your new purchase. What a concept!!!

This reminds me of all the whining when the "donut" spares were first introduced. People just COULD NOT STAND not having a full-size spare, so ... they bought one. (Including me, because I hate those little donut tires.) You just can't please everyone.

#19 ·
Oh, and if your Equinox has a spare tire, I'm sure you won't get the cute little storage space. :coffee: Bummer. Just strap your laptop to the luggage rack and you're good to go. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
If they put a spare from the factory, people complain about lack of storage cubbies and cost. If they don't put a spare from the factory, people complain about the lack of a spare. They can't please all the people all the time, since they have to pick one.

I'd much rather pay a few bucks less for the vehicle and have the OPTION to put a spare in it if I want, especially considering I never would. I don't like driving on donut spares, so I'd never use it anyway. If I get a flat, shoot the little can of sealer in there, reinflate and take it to the dealer to get patched. If it's a total blowout, call my free roadside service and have them take it in to the dealer.

#23 ·
Trust me,,,your last quote is not a good option when your tire blows in Waterloo,Iowa on a Saturday afternoon, and the closest tire AT ALL is 150 miles away in Des Moines, and home is 1600 miles away!! The donut got me 150 miles at 60 MPH in the rain,,and a mere take it or leave it $230 for one tire...which I had to hunt for a matching one when I got home!!! Be safe; have a spare; even if Cadillac does not totally believe in it!!!:bomb:

#21 ·
Wow, I am usually on the same page as both rightturn and Tony. Not on this one. A car that doesn't have runflats needs to come with a spare tire. People expect it. But I do agree that if you like the car, just buy the darn spare kit. It should not prevent a purchase.

#40 ·
Barry--if you haven't done so, I'd just call Luke. I'm not sure how often he checks threads. I ordered my spare kit yesterday so my hubby will stop nagging me. :lol:

#26 ·
The Spare tire kit COSTS about $60, and could be easily included,,,you will PAY $295, or whatever your dealer can get away with up to and above the Suggested List of $400....reallize, you are buying the spare, and jack from an
Equinox!!!.....lol Is it possible lowly Chevy and GMC customers demand the security of a spare tire,,or is it generosity????:bouncy:

#29 ·
I doubt it has anything to do with what Chevy/GMC customers demand, and more to do with market demographics. Luxury crossover owners rate comfort, storage, styling and features as their primary motivators, and by deleting a spare tire they create more storage space. They are also more affluent and likely to pay someone to fix problems with their vehicle than get out and change a tire, so the tire would be wasted on most of them since they'd just call AAA or Roadside Service in the event of a flat.

It's obvious I'm not going to win you over on this one, but it's still worth ackowledging that there is a different side to the issue. A spare tire is just like a backup camera, rear sensors, adaptive cruise, lane departure warning or any other safety feature that can make a situation easier to deal with. If those features are important to you and you're willing to pay for them, then that's great. For others, they'd rather save the money and get a less expensive vehicle (or one with more storage space). If no spare is a deal breaker, then just negotiate it into your deal at the time of purchase- problem solved.

Everyone has different priorities- that's why they offer options on cars.

#30 ·
and yes, I CALLED AAA when I had a flat;;thankfully I had a spare on my 06, or I would have been riding with a wet, greasy mechanic in his tow truck to god knows where,,,and still not found a tire for two days,,,,,Maybe you would have just dumped your SRX, and called a Limo to drive you home, but I had my SRX pretty loaded....to each their own!!:bighead:

#32 ·
,,,,,Maybe you would have just dumped your SRX, and called a Limo to drive you home, but I had my SRX pretty loaded....to each their own!!:bighead:
Now that's just a ridiculous thing to post. If you had actually been reading what I write, you'd have noticed that I already said that I never take my SRX on trips, therefore I would not ever be put in a position where I had to "dump" my SRX, or be stuck without a tire. This may come as a shock to you, but not everyone in the world has the exact same driving habits as you. :eek: For those of us who keep our vehicles in town and just run to work and the store, I couldn't care less about a spare and am glad Cadillac offers me a storage bin in place of a useless hunk of rubber and metal.

Cadillac offers the spare as an option. If you want it, go get one. Problem solved. If Cadillac had engineered the vehicle in such a fashion that there was no place at all to store a spare tire, even for those people who wanted it, then I could see your point. But continuing to harp on this when we have a friendly vendor here offering the tire kit at a nice price for those who want it is just ludicrous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.