Cadillac Owners Forum banner

SRX spare tire kit

282K views 367 replies 121 participants last post by  WILLY92 
#1 ·
the SRX spare tire kit is available. We are getting $295.00 for it plus shipping (GM list of over $400.00). the kit includes wheel, tire, jack, tub to store it all in, and all needed harware. give me a call at 703-824-9670 to get one on the way.

#119 ·
Just Putting a good word - where a good word is deserved!!!

I ordered my SRX Spare Tire Kit from Luke at Lindsay on Tuesday morning. Was a smooth and easy transaction over the phone, and my Kit arrived today, less than 48 hours after ordering.

And, yes it was the cheapest price around. Literally saved me over $150.00 from local dealers.

Now, I just need to take a weekend and learn how to install it :)

Thanks Luke/Lindsay Caddy!!

PS - also to mention that Rippy's price was just dollars away from Lindsays so they both seem like GREAT offers if you need a kit. For me, it is "insurance well needed" and money well spent to know that I wont have to give up a day or two on vacation, because my SRX was flat bedded to some garage in no mans land . . . waiting for a tire.

Obviously spare is not for everyone . . but for those who want/need one . . these are great deals.

#120 · (Edited)
In case anyone in the future wants to install a spare tire kit, I thought I'd document my experience. Overall, it was a pretty simple job. On the beer scale of one beer being simple and five being tough, this gets maybe one beer at most.

Attached picture 001 shows everything that comes with the kit. (I don't know how to insert images into the body of this write-up. Sorry.)

The instructions that come with the kit are just "OK." They leave out a couple of important steps, however.

Step one is to remove the existing tray. This requires that you unhinge the cargo cover and hang it from the attached string/hook assembly. Even then, it sort of sags down in the way. If you have a helper, have him/her hold the cargo cover out of the way while you're working. (Picture 002)

To remove the existing tray, the first thing you have to do is remove the hold-down nut that secures it in place. It's pictured below, and easily comes out with a Torx T-45 driver. (Picture 003)

Once you've removed the hold-down nut, you next have to remove the old tray. It doesn't come out easily, that's for sure. I discovered two things...first, you have to lift up the back part of the tray (just behind the rear seats) first and start to lift it out. This is where a helper comes in handy by keeping the cargo cover out of the way. Next, the tray is going to feel like it doesn't want to come out, and because it's essentially styrofoam, you're not going to want to pull on it. The stuff is pretty durable, however, and what's holding it in place is there are tabs at each of the corners nearest to the cargo hatch opening that are inserted under the rear deck. Picture 005 shows one of the tabs, circled. You have to firmly, but carefully, pull the tab out from under the deck. Once you've done that, the tray comes out pretty easily.

The next step is to insert the long threaded hold-down rod. The instructions are virtually silent on how to do this, however. There's a T-shaped slot in the car (picture 006). The head of the threaded rod fits into that slot, and the rod is held in place by a flat spring. (Picture 010)

Once the threaded rod is in place, the next step is to lower the piece of styrofoam that will hold the jack, jack handle and tire. Once the styrofoam is in place, insert the jack and jack handle in the slots provided.

The next step is to place the rectangular trim ring around the opening at the center of the styrofoam that holds the jack and tire. The instructions are TOTALLY silent on this. (Picture 011)

Next there's a sort of U-shaped bracket that holds down the styrofoam piece where the jack is. That's held down by a wing nut. Picture 015 shows the rectangular trim ring and the u-shaped bracket being held in place by the wing nut. Picture 016 shows the jack and jack handles being held in place by the u-shaped bracket and wing nut.

The tire and wheel come separately. You'll have to go to your local tire shop and have the tire mounted. Once mounted, put the tire in place and secure it with the large hold-down nut. (Picture 018) Once the tire is secured, put the new styrofoam tray over it, re-attach the cargo cover hinge, and close the lid.

The last thing to do is put a new sticker with the spare tire information (included with the kit) in the door jamb.

That's it...you're done! Go have a beer and admire your work! :cheers:

I hope this helps anyone who wants to tackle this project!

Attachments

#123 ·
There was a nylon strap with hooks attached to it included with my spare tire kit. (Picture attached.)

Can anyone tell me what it's for?

Thanks!

Nice job documenting the procedure. The strap you mention is for the flat tire! Ya gotta secure that big wheel and rim somewhere and hold it in place in case of a panic stop.........
You can use the chrome cargo hooks.
SS

#125 ·
Ordered my ST Kit a few weeks ago (Again props to Lindsay for super fast shipping . . arrived 2 days later).

Finally got around to installing it this past weekend. We spent the weekend at my parents house so I threw the kit in the back before heading out there. We went out Sat morning with our tool box and anticipating a long complicated job.

15 minutes later, and no sweat stains . . . . kit was fully installed. Piece of cake, and that's coming from ME . . someone with no skills when it comes to automobiles!

Hopefully I never need the spare. But it will be a good feeling in December on our trip from NY to Florida and back . . . knowing we won't miss our cruise due to a blow out with no dealers open at night for replacement and no spare.

Instead of buying vacation insurance for our cruise . . .I purchased vacation insurance with a spare tire kit!

Thanks Lindsay for a super price! And Great service.

#129 ·
You might try a junk yard or salvage depot as they like to be called today. I have bought many things from "New" crash cars that have been considerably below dealer cost. Something like a spare kit in a protected area like the rear storage compartment will not be affected by a frontal crash. Also there are many many emergency use only spares at the junk yards. Just make sure that they will fit your SRX and then take it with you when traveling on a long desolate trip. Don't forget the lug wrench and the jack. The last time I checked on one it was $50 for the tire. I had a Porsche 930 and it had the donut spare but it came deflated for space concerns. It also came with a compressor but was backed up with a can of inflater/flat fix. I live in an urban area but if I lived in a rural or remote area like many parts of Canada I would definitely have the spare kit. Can you imagine calling the Cadillac road side service on your SATELLITE phone in the Northwest Territory??

#130 ·
... I live in an urban area but if I lived in a rural or remote area like many parts of Canada I would definitely have the spare kit. Can you imagine calling the Cadillac road side service on your SATELLITE phone in the Northwest Territory??
They'll be there in two days to get you fixed!

Seriously. There is nothing up there.

#135 ·
Many thanks to Luke at Lindsay Cadillac in Alexandria, Virginia. Both for keeping the spare tire kits in stock, at a resonable price, and for the prompt shipping. Kudos!
I ordered my kit late last Friday and it arrived this morning (Wednesday). After I went to the local tire shop to have the tire mounted ($5), the install went very smoothly. Install time was about 30 minutes.
As noted previously in the forum, the spare tire is a factory option for the FWD SRX. When I ordered my AWD SRX last Fall, there were a few AWD SRXs on the dealer lot that had a factory option spare tire. But when I ordered mine, the spare tire option on the AWD was on restriction and therefore not available. I still do not know why it is not available, but I am guessing that is related to mass/fuel economy issues.
We love to travel in Northern Canada and wanted the spare tire. There also are some places in lower Michigan that do not have cell phone coverage. Better safe than stranded! I didn't think the tire sealer is the solution I wanted to rely on.
If you are on the fence about getting a spare, just do it. Fairly low cost and easy install. Yes, you do lose some storage space, but you gain peace of mind!

#137 · (Edited)
Here’s some additional information on the spare tire:

GM’s part number for the [donut] spare tire kit for a 2010-2012 SRX is: 095987580

The parts department from my dealer (Fitzgerald Cadillac in Frederick Maryland) insisted that there’s no such thing as an SRX spare tire kit. Rather than argue with them, I ordered a kit from:

Luke Butler
Lindsay Cadillac
1525 Kenwood Avenue | Alexandria, VA 22302
703-647-8633 Direct | 703-998-6062 Fax
lbutler@LindsayCadillac.com | www.lindsaycadillac.com

Lindsay had the kit in stock and charged $386 plus $36 shipping, but $0 tax (due to my non-Virginia address). That represents a recent price increase. I live in Maryland and a large box arrived the next day. The kit is made in China, but in spite of that, all components appear to be excellent quality.

See the attached “SRX Spare Tire Kit Contents” photo and the GM box “SRX Spare Tire Label” photo with the part number.

I took the 1-piece aluminum wheel, the tire, and the included rubber air-valve to a Sears Auto shop. They charged $22 to mount the tire and balance the wheel. Took me about 30 minutes to “install” the kit in the SRX. It’s really simple and it fits perfectly. The included instructions were adequate; mostly, all you need are the diagram of how it installs.

Cadillac Owner Member SoCalSRX posted numerous photos of the kit with step-by-step instructions on installation, on this forum:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...n-forum-2010/181435-srx-spare-tire-kit-8.html

I’d add a few tips to SoCalSRX’s instructions:

- Open the double rear stowage compartment trap doors all the way, and hold them vertically against the back seat using the adjustable luggage bars, as in the attached “SRX spare tire in place” photo. Thus held, this is a one-person job.

- The Styrofoam Rear Compartment Stowage Tray is held down with a single nut/washer which can be unscrewed with an R-45 Torx wrench; in addition, the Cadillac tool that installs the roof-rack cross-members is an R-45 Torx; see the attached “SRX Spare Tire Hold Down Nut” photo of that tool and the brass/plastic nut/washer. I put the Stowage Tray in the attic, but it’s unlikely it will ever be needed again.

- There is space to store small items around the spare tire, before inserting the black Styrofoam Rear Compartment Floor Stowage Cover – but if they are steel, wrap them in a towel so they don’t rattle. Notice the jumper cables in the attached “SRX Spare Tire In Place” photo..

Based on our scales, the spare tire kit results in a net vehicle weight increase of 34 pounds. A stock Performance SRX has a curb weight of 4277 pounds. Thus, the spare tire increases vehicle weight by 0.0079 %, or 8/10ths of 1%. There won’t be any difference in mileage because you’re carrying a spare tire.

The spare tire size is T135/70R18 18x4.5; cold tire pressure is 60 PSI. The tire’s outside diameter is 25", quite a bit smaller than a regular SRX tire @ 29.5". Maximum driving speed on the spare is 80 Kph, or 50 mph.

Attachments

G
#138 ·
If the spare is 25" dia and the regular tire is 29.5 you will tear up your differentials. AWD all 4 tires have to match in circrumference 29-30 "
I had a Bravada AWD spare was a 235 70 15 the other three tires were 235 75 l5 made a heck of a noise only had to go 5 blocks to the tire shop.
I would put the spare on and try it out if not you will be stranded no air pump or fix a flat.

#139 ·
>If the spare is 25" dia and the regular tire is 29.5 you will tear up your differentials. AWD all 4 tires have to match in circrumference 29-30 "

Appreciate your concern, but that’s not how this all wheel drive system works. It’s designed so that when powering two wheels on the same axle simultaneously, the wheels can rotate at different speeds. This is needed for example, as the vehicle goes around curves, but it also allows tires of different diameters to rotate at different RPMs. If the wheels couldn’t turn at different RPMs, imagine the jerking and tire sliding that would occur during a maximum turn.

Each differential (front or rear) allows the shaft to drive its two output shafts independently at different speeds. The differential distributes torque (angular force) evenly, while distributing angular velocity (turning speed) such that the average for the two output shafts is equal to that of the input shaft. Each powered axle requires a differential to distribute power between the left and the right sides.

The situation you describe can occur with full-time AWD or 4WD systems with locking differentials while driving on dry pavement. Anyone that’s driven a vehicle with that setup will remember tires jerking and sliding when other tires are spinning at different RPMs. Locking differentials work by temporarily locking together a differential's output shafts, causing the wheels on those shafts to turn at the same rate.

BTW, so that I wouldn’t have to learn during an emergency, I mounted the spare on the right front and took it for a 5-mile drive. Everything worked fine – no sounds out of the ordinary. Granted, with the donut spare mounted, handling is somewhat compromised, and if it’s on a front wheel, the car pulls a bit to that side. With the spare on, drive slowly and carefully. Other than the vehicle being lower at the right front, a passenger probably wouldn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. I took it up to 50 MPH, the maximum recommended speed for the tire, and did a lock-to-lock 360 degree turn with the [small] spare on the OUTSIDE of the turn, and it still worked fine. Not to worry.

#141 ·
Using the jack, mounting the spare and doing a trial run identified other things to do:

- store a 12" x 12" x 1/2" (approximate) scrap of plywood on top of the spare tire, just under the top Styrofoam "rear compartment floor stowage cover". You'll need that if the jack has to be placed on soft ground and not sink into the ground. I tried 3/4" plywood, but the stowage doors wouldn't lie flat, and that's the only place to store something that large out-of-sight.
- store an inexpensive 1/2" beam torque wrench (wrapped in cloth to prevent rattling) next to the tire, and a 7/8" 6-point deep socket for the factory lug nuts. That way, you can properly torque the lug nuts (I do 100 - 110 ft. lbs.) If you use after-market wheel locks, also store the wheel-lock "key" and a socket that fits it (otherwise, you won't be able to remove a wheel at all).
- store some kind of 12v light with a long cord, the kind the plugs into the accessory outlet. You'll need it if you have to change a tire in the dark.
- store towels/rugs, or something to sit/kneel on; you'll want that if the ground is wet or gravelly, or you're wearing good clothes.
- store rags to clean your hands.
- lightly oiling the long screw on the jack makes it a bit easier to raise the vehicle.

BTW, the spare wheel/tire weighs 24 lbs., compared to 65 lbs. for the Cadillac 20" chrome wheel/tire.

If you get a flat and call your auto service company (AAA, Allstate, Cadillac roadside assistance, etc.), they'll mount the spare for you and you won't even get your hands dirty. If you don't have a spare, you can try the factory air-pump unit using just air, or the tire sealant **** (which experts say to avoid); but if that doesn't work, the vehicle will have to be towed or put onto a truck and carried away. If you're in the middle of nowhere, good luck finding a repair shop with your tire size.

Think of it this way: if GM had included the factory spare, would you have asked the dealer to remove it and give you $350 credit? Of course not, most people expect a car to have a spare tire.

If you ever have to call a tow truck due to a flat tire, you'll be sorry you didn't get one. Shame on GM for not including such a fundamental item. The reason it's not included is so GM can price the vehicle $300 lower. However, they claim it's a safety issue, so owners won't be injured changing their own tires, which is complete baloney. Besides, Cadillac provides roadside assistance service at no cost (5 years?); and even if they didn't, I'd wager that most luxury car owners have roadside assistance contracts.

Attachments

#144 · (Edited)
I wanted an easy access full size tire for our SRX when heading annually to Florida. Removed storage lid and Styrofoam insert. Built a pocket for the new aluminum wheel ($150) and good used tire ($50). Secured spare with 2 adjustable straps fastened to the brackets located on the side panel. Cut out a ½” plywood lid and a piece of carpet. The storage area contains items for most emergency problem (Tools, 2 jacks, bat. cables, bat. charger, electric cords, spare bulbs, heavy tape, shim wood and air-pump). We have owned and enjoyed 2 CTS Luxury Sport Sedans. The 2011 SRX (even with the small engine) really fits our every need. Below are helpful pix. drw

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.