Cadillac Owners Forum banner

SRX spare tire kit

282K views 367 replies 121 participants last post by  WILLY92 
#1 ·
the SRX spare tire kit is available. We are getting $295.00 for it plus shipping (GM list of over $400.00). the kit includes wheel, tire, jack, tub to store it all in, and all needed harware. give me a call at 703-824-9670 to get one on the way.

#151 ·
My main reason for mounting the tire at this location is that I don’t want to fight removing it from the original stowing area. When I travel South, I have a fully packed car. Do not want to unpack to retrieve a spare. All tools (breaker bar, jack, bat. cables, air-pump, shims and light) will fit nicely in the massive rim. Unhook straps and roll the tire out, everything in one location. GM engineers could provide a mount on the side panel and redesign storage door. A nifty tire cover with a SRX emblem would look cool. As for the donut, I don’t want to dig it out and I don’t want to change it twice on the road. Thanks for your comments--drw

#152 ·
Are you GM product developers seeing this? The original storage lid could be used with a removable insert and a swing out bolt assembly to tighten the wheel with could be mounted on the sidewall. I also saw a car show the other day where the mechanic said to never use a flat fixer on a wheel with a tire pressure sensor UNLESS it states on the can that it is sensor safe. He said that it would ruin the sensor and cost about $170 for a new one. Has anyone read our flat fixer can? BTW, that's a nice neat job, well done. Necessity is the mother of invention! These SRX's are real Mothers!

#156 · (Edited)
I had to use my spare today. Last night I noticed a spike sticking out of a tire. I had AAA come and change the tire. I was able to throw the bad tire in the back of the car and, unfortunately, take it to my local tire shop where I ended up buying two tires. That's the bad news. The good news is that because I had the spare, I had no down time and no hassle in getting the new tires.

#157 ·
I just took delivery of a 2013 SRX Premium and when I first saw detail on the dealers website listing it had the "compact spare", I was a little confused. I really didn't know many specifics on the SRX other than my wife and I really liked it when we first saw it an auto show several years ago. I figured it had a full size spare normally and this compact option freed up some storage space, wrong it took space away. I really liked that little cooler bin and had mixed feelings about losing that space to the spare but now after reading the posts here thinking about it, I'm leaning heavy on being very happy to have the spare. The dealer added $350 to the sticker for this option, not too bad when comparing to the original prices paid. I've always repaired my own tires with plugs and I must say in 41 years of driving I've never had a flat out on the highways (always found nails and such (10 or more) while vehicle was in garage VERY LUCKY). My luck would have changed very quickly if fate new I was in a new SRX with 20" tires and no spare..........lol

#158 ·
Just got off a cruise ship this morning and after loading the back with cases and starting the car noticed I had 1 lb of air in the right tire, after unloading the cases to find this emergency pump I am quite ashamed to admit I have no idea as to where it is situated in the cargo area and how to get to it, I did notice a cargo area and a plastic screw which looked like you needed some star type screwdriver to realease the compartment........then I presume the compartment could be removed to expose the pump?? Not being in the greatest of moods I decided to call the AAA who came out and jacked up the front of the car only to find a nail, the tire held air for a reasonable amount of time and we made it to the nearest tire shop where the flat was repaired. Having said all of this I think I'm a fan of spare tires ......... I'm interested in the spare tire kit but would like to know where the and how the kit fits into the SRX and BTW I feel dumb asking but I still don't know how to locate the miricle pump ......... can someone answer this stupid question .....???

#159 ·
westham said:
Just got off a cruise ship this morning and after loading the back with cases and starting the car noticed I had 1 lb of air in the right tire, after unloading the cases to find this emergency pump I am quite ashamed to admit I have no idea as to where it is situated in the cargo area and how to get to it, I did notice a cargo area and a plastic screw which looked like you needed some star type screwdriver to realease the compartment........then I presume the compartment could be removed to expose the pump?? Not being in the greatest of moods I decided to call the AAA who came out and jacked up the front of the car only to find a nail, the tire held air for a reasonable amount of time and we made it to the nearest tire shop where the flat was repaired. Having said all of this I think I'm a fan of spare tires ......... I'm interested in the spare tire kit but would like to know where the and how the kit fits into the SRX and BTW I feel dumb asking but I still don't know how to locate the miricle pump ......... can someone answer this stupid question .....???
You should be able to raise the handle located in the center rear of cargo area. This will lift the top door. Below there's a compartment and keep lifting to reveal another section of the lower compartment further back. The compressor should be in this second rear most storage area. That's how it is on my 2012.

#161 ·
I bought a spare tire kit for my 2013 SRX after having it for a couple of months. I heard the inflation kit will damage the tire and if used, you must not only buy a new can of sealant, but a new tire as well.

A couple of weeks ago, I was loosing air in one tire and found a six inch long nail. Being a Sunday, I plugged it with a tire plug kit from Advance Auto Parts and am now thankful to have that spare if the plug lets go or I get another nail. I have used the plugs several times over the years and they are very reliable.

When I bought my spare kit, I told my dealer what I could get it for from Lindsay and they matched the price. Price matching is great when you know where you can get a good deal.

#163 ·
I found the pump but no sealant which I guess was used and not replaced by the previous owner, so I have bit the bullet and just ordered the spare wheel kit from Luke Butler for $428 + shipping so I will save around $100 + no tax so I come out ahead from the local Caddy Dealers. Now I will feel better on my trip to Las Vegas over Thanksgiving. :thumbsup:

#165 ·
Hi !

I'm looking to buy the whole inflator kit (Styrofoam bin, bin retainer, electric pump and sealant can) for my 2013 SRX so if someone is buying the spare kit to replace his inflator kit, it will reduce his net cost to do it.

Please send me a PM with your offer including shipping to 12919 (NY state).

Thanks !

#166 ·
Sorry to say I ordered mine from Luke on Thursday 9.12.13. It was written up over the phone and shipped out that day, should receive it this week, it would have been nice to have doubled
up with you for a little extra discount but can't do it now.

----------

You did the right thing ordering a wheel and tire. My wife recently got a flat tire that was to severe to hold any air. Luckily she had a donut spare tire it happened on a Saturday and the tire had to be ordered, we got 2. She drove on the temp spare through Tues. I shudder to think what would have happened with no spare. Of course,the damaged tire was very likely the result of running over a curb. Not really one of those things.
At the end of the day it's like every other situation, be prepared for the worse but hope you never have to deal with it ........... you never know your luck.:helpless:

#170 · (Edited)
I ordered a spare tire kit from Luke Butler @ Lindsay Cadillac (703-647-8670) this week. Price was still $428.40 + S&H as quoted in Luke's post #139 from last year.

PM me if you are interested in the interior rear storage compartment that this spare tire kit will replace on my 2011 SRX. I will also sell the electric tire pump with sealant. I am in Springfield MO. I travel to Wichita KS and Kansas City MO regularly. If you are near any of these cities, I can arrange to deliver in person. If not, I can ship for actual cost of shipping.

Update 01/10/2014: Hidden rear storage insert and emergency tire pump sold to Maxplot in Kansas.

#172 ·
I did it on my 2013 SRX with a kit from a 2010 SRX (westham) and up now, I have no regrets and my wife always put the grocery bags in the bin with the cover up so they don't spread all over on the rear floor. She really like it. Also, I think it reduce the vehicule weight so may be a better gas mileage and accelaration ...

#176 ·
Just a heads up, the US might have a different part # then we do in Canada. I know that has happened a lot for me when buying new GM Parts.

#177 ·
Spare Tire Help

My 2012 SRX came with the tire inflator and I tried to purchase the compact tire from my dealer and they are telling me it is not available they are not making the donut tire anymore. Is this correct or can anyone leed me in the direction to purchase one? My wife will not use the vechile to go on trips because of this. Need advice?

thanks

#178 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.