Srx spare tire kit - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Srx spare tire kit in Cadillac SRX Forums; No spare tire . . as many have already said - WHY?? It makes no sense to me. What do ...
    Kuya is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury, Black Raven with Nav

Re: Srx spare tire kit

No spare tire . . as many have already said - WHY?? It makes no sense to me. What do you do if you blow a tire . . I mean, really blow a tire that can't be repaired? Or does GM think this can not possibly happen?

Let's say it is 3:00 am, and we are driving from NY to Florida and we are somewhere in GA. Tire completely blows out . . . What are my options

1. I can order one of these kits ,and give up my storage space .

2. If, when I call road side assistance, I tell them to bring a tire . . will they? Or is this something where they will need to tow my car can I lose a day of travel . . .

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by etexlady View Post
    Just wonderin', could a person save a few bucks and buy one of the donut tires and a rim instead of paying $400-500 for a kit? I don't even know if one can buy the donuts at local tire stores. I probably will not buy a spare tire kit. If I should have a blowout I suppose I would just tell roadside assistance folks to bring a replacement tire with them.
    Don't know if parts are available separately and if a non-kit price advantage exists. Also a responding service truck will NOT have a spare with them. You will be towed/flat-bedded to a shop and held up till a tire/rim can be found. Can ruin your whole day/trip......... get a spare if you travel more than 15 miles away. You may need a ride home.

By way, many many new sleds have no spare tires! You get what we have or just "run-flat" tires and a crappy ride!

I got my min-spare kit a long time ago. Welcome to 21 st century! Sorry for the painful truth........

SS

SoCalSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury with Navigation

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post

2. If, when I call road side assistance, I tell them to bring a tire . . will they? Or is this something where they will need to tow my car can I lose a day of travel . . .
    It's my guess, and it's only a guess, that Cadillac/GM contracts with local towing services if/when we need help. If you're in the middle of nowhere, and Bubba's towing service arrives after being called by On Star, I think it's a pretty safe bet that Bubba will NOT have a spare with him. This means that you'll be spending the night at the nearest motel, and will be waiting for a new tire in the morning assuming, of course, that the local tire shop has the size you need. If not....well, you get the idea.

I drove a Lexus RX 300 for 9 years before buying the SRX. I had to use the spare tire several times over the course of those 9 years, including the day when I had a flat with my elderly parents on-board while we were headed for Thanksgiving Dinner at my cousins' house. Never once, in 9 years, did I ever think to myself, "gee, I wish I didn't have a spare tire and instead had some storage space under the rear deck." I can guarantee you that, should I have a flat in the SRX in the middle of nowhere that isn't "slime-able," and I have to wait a few hours for a tow truck, I'll be cursing the person who made the decision to offer the car without the spare. Bottom line -- I'll be ordering a spare tire kit shortly.

My $.02. YMMV.

etexlady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Luxury SRX Crystal Red Tintcoat

I have a 1500 mile trip planned next month and I know I will feel better with at least a mini-spare in the trunk. I called my local dealer today and he has the spare tire kit available...at list price of $516.00! Luke, how long will it take to get a spare tire kit to East Texas?

I have been reading this thread from beginning . . and I must admit to my embarrassment - I find that I am confused as to WHO currently has the Spare Tire Kit right now?? Where can I get one.

More questions:

1. Does the kit come with the actual spare tire? Or is that extra?
    2. Is it something any ol knuckle head can install (like me) or do I need to bring it somewhere.
    3. guessing this thing has some weight . . . what is the shipping cost estimate?

My vehicle is 2010 AWD Premium SRX - 20" wheels (if that at all matters)

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

1) yes, the kit comes with the spare... all that is needed is for you to take the spare tire and rim to get the tire mounted on the wheel and inflated
    2) yes, besides the mounting of the tire on the rim (mentioned above)
    3) shipping will range but probably in the $40-$60 depending on where you are

i would suggest checking with your local dealers (that way you don't have to ship it)
    and then checking with myself and luke (from Lindsay Cadillac)

either way you will have to purchase from a dealership, i don't know of any aftermarket versions of this kit (yet)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

Local Dealer wants $579 + tax, with free install. Dealer 40 mins from here wants $516 + tax, plus $70 install.

If I was not driving to FL from NY in 6 months . . I would not get the kit . . . I would just take my chances. I really HATE that it does not come with spare. Sighhh

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

See Luke or Rippy (posted just above!) they can ship and I bet they beat those prices! A strong kid can assist you in pulling the old tray (styro-plastic) out and
    screwing the new tray/tire into place. It ain't rocket science and no special tools needed.

Go for it.

SS

Thanks Smokin. I am contacting them . . . as I agree that their prices will be far better than the local dealers.

When I picked up the car last week, I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and wished really hard as I lifted the rear storage compartment . . . opened my eyes . . but NOPE lol. The prev owner did not get the spare.

Can't complain because he did seem to go ALL OUT on this SRX, regardless. Even has the towing package, dual DVD system, Cooled front driver, passenger seats . . . and more things than I can shake a stick at.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' SRX View Post
    See Luke or Rippy (posted just above!) they can ship and I bet they beat those prices! A strong kid can assist you in pulling the old tray (styro-plastic) out and
    screwing the new tray/tire into place. It ain't rocket science and no special tools needed.

Go for it.

SS

Ordered one today from Luke at Lindsay. Had a great price, compared to my local dealers . . . saved a good amount.

Thanks for that !!!!

Hopefully I will be able to install it haha . . . Prolly just take it out to my dad's. We should be able to get it done. He is pretty handy with cars and all. I will have to take him out for lunch after

dctex99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Lexus RX350, Satin Cashmere Metallic

FYI;;;A friend just ordered a DTS,,,what do you know,,,it does not COME witha spare, but is an option for $350...don't have to order from someone on this blog,,don't have to have tire mounted,,rip out styrofoam,,IT COMES IN THE TRUNK WITH AIR IN IT.....WHAT A CONCEPT!!! Wish SRX marketing people would catch on..it isn't THAT short of room......

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

read the article linked in post #112
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Just Putting a good word - where a good word is deserved!!!

I ordered my SRX Spare Tire Kit from Luke at Lindsay on Tuesday morning. Was a smooth and easy transaction over the phone, and my Kit arrived today, less than 48 hours after ordering.

And, yes it was the cheapest price around. Literally saved me over $150.00 from local dealers.

Now, I just need to take a weekend and learn how to install it

Thanks Luke/Lindsay Caddy!!

PS - also to mention that Rippy's price was just dollars away from Lindsays so they both seem like GREAT offers if you need a kit. For me, it is "insurance well needed" and money well spent to know that I wont have to give up a day or two on vacation, because my SRX was flat bedded to some garage in no mans land . . . waiting for a tire.

Obviously spare is not for everyone . . but for those who want/need one . . these are great deals.

SoCalSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury with Navigation

In case anyone in the future wants to install a spare tire kit, I thought I'd document my experience. Overall, it was a pretty simple job. On the beer scale of one beer being simple and five being tough, this gets maybe one beer at most.

Attached picture 001 shows everything that comes with the kit. (I don't know how to insert images into the body of this write-up. Sorry.)

The instructions that come with the kit are just "OK." They leave out a couple of important steps, however.

Step one is to remove the existing tray. This requires that you unhinge the cargo cover and hang it from the attached string/hook assembly. Even then, it sort of sags down in the way. If you have a helper, have him/her hold the cargo cover out of the way while you're working. (Picture 002)

To remove the existing tray, the first thing you have to do is remove the hold-down nut that secures it in place. It's pictured below, and easily comes out with a Torx T-45 driver. (Picture 003)

Once you've removed the hold-down nut, you next have to remove the old tray. It doesn't come out easily, that's for sure. I discovered two things...first, you have to lift up the back part of the tray (just behind the rear seats) first and start to lift it out. This is where a helper comes in handy by keeping the cargo cover out of the way. Next, the tray is going to feel like it doesn't want to come out, and because it's essentially styrofoam, you're not going to want to pull on it. The stuff is pretty durable, however, and what's holding it in place is there are tabs at each of the corners nearest to the cargo hatch opening that are inserted under the rear deck. Picture 005 shows one of the tabs, circled. You have to firmly, but carefully, pull the tab out from under the deck. Once you've done that, the tray comes out pretty easily.

The next step is to insert the long threaded hold-down rod. The instructions are virtually silent on how to do this, however. There's a T-shaped slot in the car (picture 006). The head of the threaded rod fits into that slot, and the rod is held in place by a flat spring. (Picture 010)

Once the threaded rod is in place, the next step is to lower the piece of styrofoam that will hold the jack, jack handle and tire. Once the styrofoam is in place, insert the jack and jack handle in the slots provided.

The next step is to place the rectangular trim ring around the opening at the center of the styrofoam that holds the jack and tire. The instructions are TOTALLY silent on this. (Picture 011)

Next there's a sort of U-shaped bracket that holds down the styrofoam piece where the jack is. That's held down by a wing nut. Picture 015 shows the rectangular trim ring and the u-shaped bracket being held in place by the wing nut. Picture 016 shows the jack and jack handles being held in place by the u-shaped bracket and wing nut.

The tire and wheel come separately. You'll have to go to your local tire shop and have the tire mounted. Once mounted, put the tire in place and secure it with the large hold-down nut. (Picture 018) Once the tire is secured, put the new styrofoam tray over it, re-attach the cargo cover hinge, and close the lid.

The last thing to do is put a new sticker with the spare tire information (included with the kit) in the door jamb.

That's it...you're done! Go have a beer and admire your work!

I hope this helps anyone who wants to tackle this project!
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.