Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Does the standard non GPS radio control an Ipod?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  RightTurn 
#1 ·
I know that the standard radio has a usb port, but I can't find out if it will actually control an ipod though the radio or steering wheel controls. Can anyone confirm this?

#2 ·
Yes, the base radio will control an iPod. I know there are some disclaimers (i.e. like not the 1st gen, etc), but I've had no problems with a 1st gen Nano and a iPod Classic 80GB. You end up mainly using the large round dial, and can select to view by artist, genre, album, playlist, etc. I think the steering wheel controls will let you go forward/back in the current list you're playing. The only thing it doesn't do a good job with is podcasts. I actually plug my iPod in using the analog plug and control from my iPod for podcasts - just not an easy way to get through them - you can select "podcasts" from the genre, but it's limited by the ID3 tags, which truthfully seem to suck. I suppose i could clean them up in iTunes, name them better, and then it would work just fine.

#3 ·
My CTS is the same way. I ended up creating a smart playlist to give me a list of unplayed podcasts. It's not perfect, but it has worked pretty well. If it is something like a podcast novel, I usualy create a smart playlist just for that podcast so I can go through the chapters in order. The smart playlist allows me to use the "Playcount = 0" criteria so that is gets kicked out of the list after I've listened to it.

Though, being the next application of the new Cadillac infotainment system, I'm disappointed to hear that they haven't updated it since the CTS.

#5 ·
It also works with the iPhone for playing music. However, I have not had any luck in getting my address book on the iPhone to show up on the screen to select for making calls.

:(

So far, the only thing that has worked for me is to add my favorite numbers, one at a time, to the Hands Free dialing address book.

Anyone else figure this out? I'd sure love to see that, because it would also tell me who is calling me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.