Does the standard non GPS radio control an Ipod?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Does the standard non GPS radio control an Ipod? in Cadillac SRX Forums; I know that the standard radio has a usb port, but I can't find out if it will actually control ...
    durangojim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD LUXURY

Does the standard non GPS radio control an Ipod?

I know that the standard radio has a usb port, but I can't find out if it will actually control an ipod though the radio or steering wheel controls. Can anyone confirm this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cz9h3d is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX and Escalade...and sometimes a CTS

Re: Does the standard non GPS radio control an Ipod?

Yes, the base radio will control an iPod. I know there are some disclaimers (i.e. like not the 1st gen, etc), but I've had no problems with a 1st gen Nano and a iPod Classic 80GB. You end up mainly using the large round dial, and can select to view by artist, genre, album, playlist, etc. I think the steering wheel controls will let you go forward/back in the current list you're playing. The only thing it doesn't do a good job with is podcasts. I actually plug my iPod in using the analog plug and control from my iPod for podcasts - just not an easy way to get through them - you can select "podcasts" from the genre, but it's limited by the ID3 tags, which truthfully seem to suck. I suppose i could clean them up in iTunes, name them better, and then it would work just fine.

ultimate_ed is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

My CTS is the same way. I ended up creating a smart playlist to give me a list of unplayed podcasts. It's not perfect, but it has worked pretty well. If it is something like a podcast novel, I usualy create a smart playlist just for that podcast so I can go through the chapters in order. The smart playlist allows me to use the "Playcount = 0" criteria so that is gets kicked out of the list after I've listened to it.

Though, being the next application of the new Cadillac infotainment system, I'm disappointed to hear that they haven't updated it since the CTS.

cz9h3d is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX and Escalade...and sometimes a CTS

It is updated from the CTS in that it doesn't require the "jumper" wire anymore. You can just plug in the USB, and it controls the unit and takes the music that way too.

bigbarry2u is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

It also works with the iPhone for playing music. However, I have not had any luck in getting my address book on the iPhone to show up on the screen to select for making calls.

So far, the only thing that has worked for me is to add my favorite numbers, one at a time, to the Hands Free dialing address book.

Anyone else figure this out? I'd sure love to see that, because it would also tell me who is calling me.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarry2u View Post
    It also works with the iPhone for playing music. However, I have not had any luck in getting my address book on the iPhone to show up on the screen to select for making calls.

So far, the only thing that has worked for me is to add my favorite numbers, one at a time, to the Hands Free dialing address book.

Anyone else figure this out? I'd sure love to see that, because it would also tell me who is calling me.
    Can you use your iPhone's phone function with bluetooth so as to see your contacts?

I have not been able to do that. Bluetooth allows me to make calls on the phone, but so far I have not figured out how to see and use my iPhone address book.

Wish I could. Has anyone else made this work?

My BMW X5 did this beautifully.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarry2u View Post
    I have not been able to do that. Bluetooth allows me to make calls on the phone, but so far I have not figured out how to see and use my iPhone address book.

Wish I could. Has anyone else made this work?

My BMW X5 did this beautifully.
    So when the iPhone rings you see only a phone number on the display?

Yes. Though after I added a number into my onboard database (for lack of a better word) it displays the number AND says "You have an incoming call from <the-name-I-recorded-when-I-created-the-onboard-entry>".

larryk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 10 SRX Previously 01 BMW X5

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    Can you use your iPhone's phone function with bluetooth so as to see your contacts?
    Nope!
    Your SRX is only a hands free device to the phone, it can not see your contacts. If you have two cells paired to the car, and yours is the selected phone, and a call comes i on the other one, the SRX will automatically switch to the other one to receive the call, which is good, but overall the Bluetooth implementation/features is weak...

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I haven't even tried the bluetooth yet.

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Hey Larryk--you need to post a pic of your ride in the photo thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.