2010 SRX test drive - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2010 SRX test drive in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by Jesda SUVs are usually wider too. The last big wide wagon available in the US was the ...
    hardrockcamaro@mac.c is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: 2010 SRX test drive

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    SUVs are usually wider too. The last big wide wagon available in the US was the Buick Roadmaster/Olds Cruiser/Chevy Caprice.

Americans own a lot of boats and horses too, so the towing capacity is important (the GM full size wagons could out-tow a Range Rover however).
    Towing is a good point actually.

I was under the impression the tow capacity of Range rovers was over 7,700lbs which is pretty high, but I'm not sure about the older ones say the 70s - mid 90's models..

V-Eight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    just try and tell me this isnt sexy

that isn't sexy

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

my 79 Olds Regency use to pull a 6000lb+ trailer without batting an eyelash. most of today's SUVs would struggle with that. Even if they don't, they would be needing transmission service in short order.

my 79 Olds Regency use to pull a 6000lb+ trailer without batting an eyelash. most of today's SUVs would struggle with that. Even if they don't, they would be needing transmission service in short order.
    That's pretty bad, I have a hard time believing a new SUV would have trouble with that when my 94 Silverado doesn't.

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

Diesel wagon. Towing problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
    That's pretty bad, I have a hard time believing a new SUV would have trouble with that when my 94 Silverado doesn't.
    your 94 silverado has a ladder frame and a beefed up transmission. today's SUVs have neither. and the unitbody SUVs (aka crossovers) are even worse. Which is why most of them are tow rated for less than 3000 lbs, if they are rated at all.

your 94 silverado has a ladder frame and a beefed up transmission. today's SUVs have neither. and the unitbody SUVs (aka crossovers) are even worse. Which is why most of them are tow rated for less than 3000 lbs, if they are rated at all.
    But aren't SUVs like the Escalade built on the same chassis as the pickup trucks, or are the pickups beefed up to pull? Crossover = worst of both worlds IMO

Quote Originally Posted by hardrockcamaro@mac.c View Post
    I've yet to figure out why people over here buy SUV's which they say is for space when the load area on a wagon is bigger and they seat the same number of people in about the same comfort but use way less fuel and cost way less to buy...
    If you want space, vans are still the way to go.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

The real body on frame SUV's are pretty damn capable tow rigs. Tahoe, Suburban, Escalades, etc are all pretty stout. The Ford Expidion and Navigator are rated to tow big loads as well, but the motors Ford puts in them don't have that low end torque like the GM SUV's.

Quote Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
    But aren't SUVs like the Escalade built on the same chassis as the pickup trucks, or are the pickups beefed up to pull? Crossover = worst of both worlds IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    The real body on frame SUV's are pretty damn capable tow rigs. Tahoe, Suburban, Escalades, etc are all pretty stout. The Ford Expidion and Navigator are rated to tow big loads as well, but the motors Ford puts in them don't have that low end torque like the GM SUV's.
    You guys are talking about the BIG suvs. Not everyone wants something that big to tow with. And many people who have to tow, cannot afford a separate tow vehicle, or even one of those big SUVs period.

Alot of people want to or have to use something like a Trailblazer or Explorer. Which are probably around 5000 lbs towing. But realistically, while the chassis can handle it without a problem, it is the transmission you have to worry about.

Now that unitbody SUVs are the trend, 3000-4000 lbs is pushing it. While that's enough to pull some snowmobiles or jetskis, I have friends with campers who have to own a Tahoe or F150 just to pull it. And are stuck driving those trucks everyday and hate it.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

You guys are talking about the BIG suvs. Not everyone wants something that big to tow with. And many people who have to tow, cannot afford a separate tow vehicle, or even one of those big SUVs period.
    There are pretty darn good deals now days on Tahoes and Expiditions, just base models without a lot of options. You can get into one of those now days for right at or under 30k. Depreciation is a bitch on them too, so buying a used one is a really good value IMO.

Alot of people want to or have to use something like a Trailblazer or Explorer. Which are probably around 5000 lbs towing. But realistically, while the chassis can handle it without a problem, it is the transmission you have to worry about.
    They should really offer "towing" models with a stronger tranny.

bigTYME is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2008 STS

I just got an '10 SRX as a courtesy car, and I am pretty impressed. It definitely isn't my type of car, but it's really quiet, comfortable, and the handling is pretty good considering a FWD based AWD system. The only problem I have found is the transmission. The shifting is a bit harsh at low speeds and it gets really puzzled when I'm coasting to a red light. Other than that it doesn't seem to have any rattles like my CTS. It is also pretty nicely equipped for the price. I think the one I have is just about $40k, and it has the Ultraview roof, push button start, power liftgate, a usb jack, a nice radio display, and I really like the color screen in the speedometer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    There are pretty darn good deals now days on Tahoes and Expiditions, just base models without a lot of options. You can get into one of those now days for right at or under 30k. Depreciation is a bitch on them too, so buying a used one is a really good value IMO.
    I really want to get an Escalade. Not for towing, but it seems every weekend we are loading up our Pilot with the kids, their wares, my mom and brother, and it starts to get crowded in there really quickly. It would be nice to have a little more space. Then there is the fact that the Pilot, even with only a driver in the car, can't get out of its own way. Add all the bodies and crap in the back, and the thing downshifts every time you breath on the gas pedal.

Compare that to the coolness of the Escalade, along with its 400 hp of muscle. I wants me one. I just have to figure out how to sell it to the wife. She brings up the gas hog issue, but aren't folks getting 15mpg or so with the slade? Only getting 19-20 with the Pilot.

The only other problem is that neither of us is going to want to drive it everyday. So i will have to get a fourth car for the wife to commute in.

now thats what im talkin bout

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.