3.6L VVT Engine Powerband
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 3.6L VVT Engine Powerband in Cadillac SRX Forums; Is it just me or does the 3.6L have proportionally more power in low end and midrange than the topend? ...
    b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

3.6L VVT Engine Powerband

Is it just me or does the 3.6L have proportionally more power in low end and midrange than the topend?
    Mine pulls extremely well but when i get up into the upper rpm band there is not as much power there as i expect with a OHC motor.
    Anybody else observed this phenomenon?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

doncapecod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 3.6L VVT Engine Powerband

I haven't seen the torque curve on the V6, but if it's like others torque will level and fall off before redline, so I don't know where peak is????

hog4oc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The factory air intake system is very restrictive, if you add a cold air intake system that will open up the power bank above 3500rpm, you can feel the difference. I did on my V6 and love the power and throate respone.

Cheers:coolgleam

Quote Originally Posted by b4z
    Is it just me or does the 3.6L have proportionally more power in low end and midrange than the topend?
    Mine pulls extremely well but when i get up into the upper rpm band there is not as much power there as i expect with a OHC motor.
    Anybody else observed this phenomenon?

Srevi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Re: 3.6L VVT Engine Powerband

Hog4c, I have noticed the top end drop off and had figured a Cold air intake would solve that in my research. I'm waiting for Volant to produce a model for the SRX similar to their CTS V6 solution. I contacted them and they said it would be available in April. The only concern I have is the some of the Cold Air Intakes I have seen on other installations were really!!! loud. I wouldn't mind a little more throat and I definitely want the high end boost but I do use the SRX for business and customers and am a little nervous. How much louder is it once you are at speed?

Anyone had any first hand experience with the Volant poducts on other vehicles?

b4z

I am a little surprised at how loud this motor is on the top end and it is not as smooth as i would like. It is no Honda DOHC.

But it has some serious go power.

hog4oc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Not loud at all, as matter of fact it is quiter than i thougt, i did my cold air intake myself by using my friend's subura WRX tube. See my previous posting for picture. It only cost me $90 including labor.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by b4z
    I am a little surprised at how loud this motor is on the top end and it is not as smooth as i would like. It is no Honda DOHC.

But it has some serious go power.

miscreant is offline GM Connection

V6 is the white solid line, V8 is the dashed black line

2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Srevi
    Anyone had any first hand experience with the Volant poducts on other vehicles?
    Volant products are typically quite quiet, because they are not fully "open". Some argue that this restricts flow and that Volant intakes don't flow as well, but it's probably a minimal impact.
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

Osogato is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant
    V6 is the white solid line, V8 is the dashed black line

Thanks, that is pretty cool.

Could you repost it in a way that shows us the scale for x and y axis? (e.g., bhp and rpm?)

b4z

That is very cool.
    We don't know the rpms, but it looks like the V8 continues to climb while the V6 plateaus.
    Maybe that is what I am feeling.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.