Towing
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Towing in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi all, Can anyone tell me what the story is for purchasing with maximum capacity towing capability? Is it a ...
    glen is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up Towing

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what the story is for purchasing with maximum capacity towing capability? Is it a dealer installed option or must it come from the factory?

Does anyone have experience to report with towing?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Terpnut is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Towing

The SRX has a trailering equipment option (probably only includes a hitch, extra wiring, and extra cooling equipment) but I don't believe there is any special gearing or anything. So I believe the only thing that maximizes your towing capability would be getting the V8 over the V6. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpnut
    The SRX has a trailering equipment option (probably only includes a hitch, extra wiring, and extra cooling equipment) but I don't believe there is any special gearing or anything. So I believe the only thing that maximizes your towing capability would be getting the V8 over the V6. Hope this helps.
    My dealer says that the towing option isn't available yet. I'm curious as to what the towing capacity limit is without it.

Terpnut is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Based on what I know, there shouldn't be any difference in the SRX's "towing capacity" regardless of whether you get Cadillac's trailering option. As with any street vehicle, you can always buy a hitch, upgrade the battery, add the wiring, etc. later. Thus towing capacity is limited only by an engine's power/torque, body integrity, etc.

Srevi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This one is stumping me too. Owners manual says AWD V6 has towing capacity for 1000LB!... That's really lame. With towing package it sky rockets to 4000LBs! I have talked to Marine shops and they are saying it is the suspension and drive train limiting. 260 Hp is more than enough. I haven't heard what is in the towing kit to make that kind of difference.

JoeCaddy1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The limiting factor for towing is powertrain cooling. The towing package upgrades the cooling package from an electric fan to an engine driven fan. Nothing changes in the drivetrain or suspension.

Thanks for all of your comments.

1000 lb in the manual is really lame. Very hard to believe.

My dealer had no information on anything relating to towing other than that the towing option is not yet available.

UHAUL was the only one who could help. They have a hitch designed for the SRX and rate it as Class III (3500lb). I'm sure that their rating has nothing to do with wear-and-tear, only with mechanical strength and maybe braking.

I plan to pull about 2000 lb gross and only infrequently. I'm inclined to think I should just do it and not worry.

But... if there is anything to be done such as beefing up the cooling system, could it be done by the dealer once it does become available?

Any more thoughts on any of this????

Thanks.

Tiger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Flirtin' w/ an SRX...

Exclamation Re: Towing

This is my sticking point with getting an SRX!

I'm afraid to tow with it, because the online info is somewhat vague.

Do you have to get the V8 to tow 3,500 lbs?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.