Cadillac Owners Forum banner
11K views 85 replies 16 participants last post by  Osogato 
#1 ·
I am trying to purchase an SRX 6 AWD from my local dealer. I am pretty much looking at the basic car with sunroof (requires Luxury Package). Dealer is only offering standard pricing minus $1500 conquest rebate. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

#27 ·
Moonstone is by far my favorite color. It has a good ammount of metallics in it so when it is clean it pops. Wonder what it would look like with some sealer/glaze applied.

Mine is black with the grey interior.

I can't believe how many people stare at this car. People drive alongside and pace me. It is kind of dangerous.
One guy's jaw actually dropped and his head spun around when i passed him.

#28 ·
b4z said:
Moonstone is by far my favorite color. It has a good ammount of metallics in it so when it is clean it pops. Wonder what it would look like with some sealer/glaze applied.

Mine is black with the grey interior.

I can't believe how many people stare at this car. People drive alongside and pace me. It is kind of dangerous.
One guy's jaw actually dropped and his head spun around when i passed him.
Just finished signing the paperwork...ended up adding the RES. The only one that they had configured that exact way was Black/Black interior. Got a great deal, so I took it. Black was my wifes original color anyways...I can't wait to pick it up!:bouncy: I founds out that part of the discounts that I received were from the dealership using 2 sales tax credits...

#30 ·
An end of a very frustrating weekend - Drove over an hour to a larger big-city dealer, thinking there might be a decent price there. They even had a vehicle I would have bought on the spot. After an hour of driving and a half hour of waiting for the only visible salesman, price was exactly the same as local dealer - about $500 over invoice. When I explained that it was the same price as the local dealer and was there anything he could do to make it advantageous for me to make the purchase so far from home, his answer was that I had just wasted his time. Unbelievable. I knew more about the pricing and options than he did - he started to figure the old $11k luxury package.

I am about to take the advice offered above and go the internet route - seeing if I can get a better offer.

A question for the lucky new owners - Did you visit many dealers or did you hit on the first try?

Gman - I am about an hour from Danbury. Did you purchase from Danbury Chevrolet Cadillac? Would you feel comfortable giving me your salesmans' name - either here or in a private message on this forum or via e-mail. I would grab your deal in a minute.

To all those who just bought the SRX - all the best of luck with it. I really appreciate the advice imparted here and hope to be a happy owner soon.

#31 ·
Compfan, I just sent you a reply. By the way my SRX is moonstone with grey interior. Park Caddy only had 1 other V6 in stock. It had 3rd seat and DVD, but I don't think it had the sunroof.

I'm sure that Park could get the one you want from Danbury, and sell it to you at a better price. They're on Rte 7.

#32 ·
Compfan,

I strongly recommend you make your contacts and negotiate all details of a deal BEFORE ever wasting your time physically visiting a dealer. Once you are at the dealership, they have more control than you. I contacted 8 Internet sales managers/reps (there is one at every dealer), told them what I wanted and politely requested pricing and availability. In addition, I armed myself with this: http://www.checkbook.org/auto/carbarg.cfm. Once I confirmed the availability and the out-the-door pricing, I arranged for a ride and went to get it! That's it!

Be thorough, courteous, patient and flexible, and I think you will end up getting your great deal! Again, good luck!

#35 ·
Well - my saga continues. I contacted a number of dealers who showed the car configured to my liking and the prices came in pretty close to my original quote. Most quotes were within $200, with the execption of one or two that were v-e-r-y high. I am becomming resigned to going back to my local dealer. List price of the car of my desire is $49,375, invoice price is $45k and selling price is $44k + $350 in dealer fees (prep, registration, etc.) Am I being raked over the coals, or is this a really good price and I don't know it? I would really appreciate your input here.

Terpnut - Did you use gmbuypower.com to contact dealers via internet or did you use some other communication method (general e-mail or local dealer's web site). Did you pay the $200 bucks to checkbook.org. Do you think it was really worth the investment.

Gman - Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

By the way, I saw my first SRX on the road - at the parking lot of Expo. It was black both inside and out and really looked sharp. Congrats to all. Hope to join you soon.

#37 ·
Compfan,

1. Personally I never pay "dealer prep" and other such junk fees. I keep things VERY simple when negotiating with dealers and talk about only five elements in pricing:
+ Invoice price: Vehicle price, options, destination/freight and ad charges (if applicable in your area).
+ Dealer profit (or loss if you negotiate pricing under invoice)
- Dealer and consumer incentives
+ Tax
+ Tags (check with your local motor vehicle admin for exact fees)
---------------------
= Out-the-door Price (write your check for this amount before leaving the house!)

2. As to method of contact, I believe email is better than calling or visiting. You can get each dealer's Internet Sales representative's email via numerous sources, including edmunds.com, gmbuypower.com, etc.

Email allows you to:
- communicate your interests clearly
- have a paper trail of dealer commitments, promises and pricing
- saves you driving
- review information and offers in the privacy of your home or work with no pressure

I have found that, regardless of whether you are negotiating by phone, email or in person, the longer you dialogue/negotiate, the more time/resources the dealer has committed, the more likely they will drop their price in order to get you to close a deal. Of course, this assumes you are patient enough to outlast them and handle the pressure. That's why I like email as there is no in-person pressure to deal with. For me, this process often takes days and weeks.

3. I did pay the checkbook.org fee and did find the lowest bidding dealer that way (i.e. Moore Cadillac). However, if I had more time and was patient enough, I could've probably achieved the same result.

Well, hope this helps. Sorry for the long post. Take care and good luck!

#38 ·
Gman- $44k price does include $1,500 conquest money deducted from the price of the car. Total price including conquest discount, dealers fees but not sales tax is $44,350.

Terpnut - Thanks so much for your detailed explanation. I agree that delay tactics help in negotations. But it's so hard - I REALLY want that car. I also have to decide if I should grab the $1,500 conquest money by the end of the month or hope a better discount comes along. Avaitor is currently offering a $3,000 rebate. Maybe Cadillac will become compteitive. It's such a crapshoot.

#39 ·
It is a crapshoot. Avaitor is selling so poorly that Ford already has plans to phase it out and replace it with a crossover SUV, more like the SRX.

In my humble opinion(which usually doesn't count for much), I think you have a "DECENT" deal. Getting a much better price will probably be difficult to impossible. Any good new incentives will most likely be targeted at moving the expensive V-8 models. If it were me, I would make one more try to squeeze a few more dollars out of the dealer, and successful or not take the plunge and don't look back. This is an awesome car, and after you get it home, you will be on top of the world. Now that I have probably jinxed your deal..good luck.

#40 ·
How much are tags in your state? In MD, I think it is $108. Thus I consider the $350 dealer prep to be over $200 in additional dealer profit. Thus, if I read your post correctly, you are currently being offered $700 over invoice before the Conquest cash. FYI, I was quoted prices from $200 under to $800 over invoice in the DC/Baltimore area, so gman is right that your deal is not that bad but I would say it is definitely on the high side. I agree that if you go sit down with them one more time to haggle it down a little more maybe, then you can probably sign and walkout the door pretty satisfied. If you're really not sure, I think things can only get better toward the end of the month. Remember: Have patience as I believe time is on your side. Keep calling your same dealer sales contacts about pricing and availability--one will soon get tired of you and say "if you come in RIGHT NOW and buy it, I will knock off $500". This is exactly what happened to me with my SRX! Good luck.

#41 ·
Re: Terpnut

b4z said:
Dude, it is a small world.
Rt 7 is Leesburg Pike.
I was at a Packard Convention July 4, 2002
and walked from the hotel over to Moore Cadillac.
They only had 1 CTS at the time.
The orange color with a 5 speed.

Hard to believe they have room for 30 SRX's on their
lot. They must have a holding yard somewhere.
Just checked their inventory and they now have 61 SRX's on the lot. They're obviously not moving very well ...:rolleyes2

#42 ·
Well, the dealers around here (southern Delaware) must be pretty greedy. I looked on GMBuypower and found a base RWD V6 SRX with no options except for White Diamond paint. The sticker was about $39,500 and I emailed them to see what their best price was.

Well, I got a very nice email back today saying their rock-bottom internet price was $38,600!! Not even a $1,000 off! The guy did however talk about the Conquest cash rebate....wow, that just makes the deal so much better... :hmm:

Considering others have seen prices around $33.5k to $34k for similar cars, SRX's must still be pretty rare around here... :confused:

#43 ·
I think that base vehicles priced in the high $30k's are probably not being discounted as the high content/expensive ones. I've noticed my local dealers have lots of loaded V6's and V8's with MSRP's in the mid $40k's to low $50k's. These are the babies the dealers are most motivated to get off their lots and the ones you are most likely to get a "deal" relative to invoice pricing on. Since the option pricing is so high, perhaps paying $800 over invoice on a base SRX is a better value than paying $200 under invoice for a fully loaded one!?

#44 ·
Yeah, I guess that does make sense. There still doesn't seem to by many SRX's running around here (I've only seen one gold V6 twice and then a silver V8 from out of state another time), and because the options are so expensive, the base cars that are already nicely equipped are probably what a lot of people want.

Still weird though. This is a state, for example, where a lot of Pontiac dealers have about 4-5 GTO's on their lots typically that just sit there, a place where a few Nissan dealers actually had several "leftover" 2003 350Z's early this year, etc. Cars that are in very high demand in other places hardly seem to get noticed here....then again everyone just wants a big truck!

#45 ·
For whatever it's worth, I have NEVER seen an SRX on the road. I live in an upper middle-class neighborhood full of Lexus, Acura, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota and Honda owners--the exact demographics of Cadillac's target market--and there is not one Cadillac. The bottom line is that it's too early to tell and this truck is too new.

#47 ·
Thanks, but I'm not really in the market for anything right now--I just wanted to see what the prices were like around here.

Then again, my mom's Avalanche will be two years old in only a few days and has 30k miles....maybe a new SRX would be a nice change!

#49 ·
I am really puzzled here. I am not seeing very agressive pricing on the SRX. And yet, there seem to be plenty of SRX's on the dealers' lots, without many of them being on the road.

Does anyone know if there are any new incentives coming when the March 31st deadline for the Conquest rebate is reached?

#50 ·
A couple of weeks ago we did a couple thousand off the sticker plus the factory $1500 off or $3500 off. They also gave us $2000 more for our trade than the first dealer. The first dealer only offered the factory rebate. Careful of the factory website links to dealers inventory.:tisk: The Caddy site said the dealer we bought from had 6 V-6's. The dealer we bought from had their own website with 12 V-6's to choose from.

#51 ·
hmm... I am now debating whether to pull back from mine; Perhaps call another dealer = although I did give a $1000 deposit to order. Should've done more home work :(

The sticker is $49,900 and I got it for 45,700 after rebate. it's right about invoice after the rebate. Probably should have been at invoice then the rebate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.