It may have won, but reader response seems dismal...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, It may have won, but reader response seems dismal... in Cadillac SRX Forums; I was surprised when going through a late issue of CandD's "Backfires" to see how much disagreement there was over ...
    Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

It may have won, but reader response seems dismal...

I was surprised when going through a late issue of CandD's "Backfires" to see how much disagreement there was over the CandD award to the SRX. For those of you who constantly berate CandD for being pro-euro vehicles, I think it was great to see them hand the award to Cadillac to prove thats not always the case, however as some of these quotes will show, alot of the readers have some to do with the anti-caddy sentiment too...

"Three of the four cars you compared in BIG BOX SPORTS CARS comparison are classy looking vehicles worthy of high praise. However the rumor that your editors and drivers had to be blindflolded to get inside the Cadillac SRX V-8 must be true. I had no idea Pontiac dropped a V-8 into its Aztek and kicked it over to the Cadillac Division. Quick someone notify the DEA that theyre smoking some funny stuff in Detroit!" Patrick Leal

"The focus of the comparioson was High performance SUV's. The Cadillac won not because of superior performance, but rather for its "roominess". On the points totals, the Cadillac beat out the Cayenne and FX45 by four and five points, respectively. However the Cadillac got there because of a seven point advantage for front and rear space and cargo utility. If CD rates roominess so high, Suburbans and Excursions would win every comparison. The focus of the article was supposedly "sport" and not "utility". Although the Cadillacs acceleration is respectable, the braking and skidpad numbers certainly fall short. I think the Cayenne or the FX45 should have won top honors." Peter Lianides

"If Cinderella was in a hurry to get to the ball, she probably would have taken a burnt-orange Infiniti FX45. Its quick, classy and looks like a pissed off pumpkin." Phillip Burkett

I was surprised to see that CD got so much negative feedback from the article, even though the SRX is clearly up there with the rest. I think it was pretty ballsy of C/D to go with the SRX as their top notch performer and it goes to show they arent swayed by popular opinion and deep seated anti-domestic feelings.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Re: It may have won, but reader response seems dismal...

I have not driven the FX but I have driven the SRX.
    At 6'8" there is no point in my even considering the FX.
    Because the front seat would be so far back that nobody would
    be able to sit behind me.
    But my 6' mother and 6' sister would be very comfortable
    in the back seat of the SRX.

Would I like to see a little stiffer ride and quicker steering? yes.

Would i want the ride quality of te FX? No fricken way.

2004_SRX_ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I read those arguments in Car and Driver. It just seems like the response is bad because the people who are upset are the only ones writing in about it. You aren't going to see a letter justifying CnD's decision. The first argument is pure BS. Car and Driver praised the SRX's styling, and to relate the SRX is to the Aztec is rediculous. I see nothing wrong with the comparison, even if I am biased.
    I looked at the FX at every car show I've been to since the car came out. I am not impressed at all. It seems the SRX is a lot more for the money. There is 10 more horses in the FX, but that hardly makes a difference. The FX interior does not look like it belongs in a $50 grand model. The SRX interior is far superior to any of the crossovers IMO. Like I said, I am biased, but the SRX deserves to be at the top of its class.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Well, I like the SRX, but I don't think the interior is that great.

I would like to see more wood or aluminum and some different textures in the plastic.

It seems to be that the FX has too many compromises. It is basically
    all about performance and people and cargo hauling were well down
    on the list of things they targeted.

The Cadillac has a 116" wheelbase and 41" of rear legroom, which is huge.
    bigger than just about any SUV's numbers.
    including Tahoe's.

SRX does a lot of things well. I was hoping the base price would be about $36,000 and the Lux package with wood, heated seats, power passenger,
    etc would bea bout $39,500 not $42,080.

i wouldn't even consider the FX. Too impractical.

2004_SRX_ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I can see that you want a little more wood on the base SRX. But with the lux package, there is a perfect amount of wood trim. In fact, the whole interior comes together nicely. I would have to say the coolest feature on the car that doesn't deal with performance is the sunroof. It is HUGE. I really didn't get to drive the car in warm weather yet, but I'm sure it will be a blast.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Car and Driver picks out the most vocal and controversial letters to print. It makes for good entertaining reading.

I agree with the wood. I doubt you would want anymore than what is already there. Too much and it begins to look poor or tacked on (reminds me of those old conversion van packages).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.