Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Rubbing sound above 40mph

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  orange57 
#1 ·
06 SRX, Northstar AWD

My SRX has had a rubbing sound since we bought it, but it is primarily above 40mph, and tends to go away when the wheel is slightly turned to the right. I thought it was tire noise, as they were pretty badly worn when we bought the car. Replaced them, and still had the noise. The sound definitely sounds like it is coming from the drivers side. The splash guard is pretty loose on that side, and I can see a spot where the there has been some rubbing on the guard. Not sure if maybe it is a dynamic effect that pulls the splash guard in to the tire. My next test is to remve the splash guard and take it for a test drive. Just thought I'd see if anyone else has had anything similar with their rig.

MG

#4 ·
On mine, the push pins are all the way in. I need to just remove the splash guard and take it for a drive. If that is it, I just need to get some better push pins to keep it in place.

Overall, we are happy with the car. My wife loves it :) It is much nicer than my 2000 Tahoe she was driving for a while.

#7 ·
I wouldn't exactly say it was easy. Some of those pins are a pain removing thus the breaking of them. Would be interesting to see which method of fasteners would be faster to remove. 12 of those pins or 12 bolts with a power ratchet. Only negative with bolts is rust. Agree with you it is easy compared to rusty bolts!

#11 ·
Took the pins out, took the splash guard out, and thought I still heard the sound. Going to take it on a little longer drive this evening and double check.

Could this be something more than just rubbing? The wheel bearing has been replaced on that side. I don't see anything else that could be rubbing. And it only occurs when turning the wheel to the left, such as in sweepers.

May just have to break down and take it to the dealer for diagnosis.

#13 ·
I know this thread is a little old. But just thought I'd provide an update. After evaluating the sound some more, I concluded that it was the front Passenger Side Wheel Bearing. The noise seemed to go away when I would be in sweeper turns going right, but was more prominent in left hand turns. I couldn't shake the wheel when I pulled the wheel off. But based on the sound and when it came and went, and having just recently replaced the drivers side wheel bearing, I also replaced the passenger side. Picked up a Timken Bearing from Rock Auto, and swapped it out. Sure enough, that was it. Sound is gone. Although now it sounds like one of the rear wheel bearing may be starting its way out :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.