Brake pads and rotors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Brake pads and rotors in Cadillac SRX Forums; Planning on replacing brake pads and rotors in the very near future, and would appreciate opinions/recommendations on what others have ...
    Don73 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Brake pads and rotors

Planning on replacing brake pads and rotors in the very near future, and would appreciate opinions/recommendations on what others have used. Is there a big difference between GM rotors and rotors from a local parts store? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

Re: Brake pads and rotors

I went with the GM parts from the dealer. Rotors and Pads all around. No issues. The pads come with all the hardware too.

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods

Likewise, I went with all OEM parts when I did my brakes on my SRX. I got the parts from www.rockauto.com as opposed to the local dealer because their prices were significantly cheaper. Other sources for OEM parts are the online GM dealers like www.gmpartshouse.com and www.gmpartseast.com and of course, forum vendor Rippy Cadillac will give you a good price. email Chris Heath at: parts@rippyautomotive.com

Bill

JayTF1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE
    +1 for OEM.

I bought 'premium' brake calipers from the local parts store, they immediately rusted an look terrible behind the 20" wheels.

Tiger1106 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX'05 4.6L

Original rotors tend to overheat and once they meet water, they go bad. Had that issue on both front and reat. Installed dotted rotors on both ends (don't remember brand), have no problems with overheating now even during my little racing sessions.
    Plus original rear pads have a thin working zone. With new rotors I installed Textar pads which use the whole surface of the rotor. Braking improved 20% in my opinion. Hardware costs around $5 separately.

dgsrx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX V6 AWD

Is anyone using plated brake rotors? I'm about to change mine and I hate looking at rusty rotors.

If you're using plated rotors and like them, please post brand/source.

ukmat71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Surely the plating will wear off over time. Not worth it IMO. Get a quality rotor and pads that work and don't worry about cosmetic things.

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

your pads should be scrubbing the rust off your rotors anyway...(cast iron OE style)

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ukmat71 View Post
    Surely the plating will wear off over time.
    No it won't if it's done well. The plating on the wear surface (if there is plating there) will wear off almost instantly. And so will any rust on it.

I'm talking about plating on the rest of the rotor, which is not subject to wear.

Another option is powder coating. Durable and not that expensive. It gives a nice look albeit with less bling.

Bill

Bling is not the issue, but I don't believe powder coating can take rotor temperatures.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

And will also end up with a vibration if the hub faces are coated.

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

Timely topic. I decided to run mine until I got a brake pad squeeker indication. 60,400 miles and it turned out to be a rear brake. The other side rear was nearly worn out also. I changed the fronts also even though they had 40-45% wear remaining since I had it up in the air. All the rotor friction faces were in great shape. I used Akebono PRO-Act ceramics from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by dgsrx View Post
    Bling is not the issue, but I don't believe powder coating can take rotor temperatures.
    If you think your rotor temps will hit 1000 degrees then you are quite right. That's the limit of high temp powder coatings.

Bill

johns12 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V8

I've used Centric coated rotors on my old Acura and did 60,000 miles on it with no rust. We're talking the hat of the rotor. On my SRX, I used AutoZone pads and rotors. Looked bad with rust but stopped just fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.