2006 Cadillac SRX replaced w used engine ran great for1day now engine reduced power
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2006 Cadillac SRX replaced w used engine ran great for1day now engine reduced power in Cadillac SRX Forums; I am so bummed! My SRX had solid miss on cyl DTC P0304. Replaced all plugs, #4 coil pack replaced, ...
    KKurten is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX

2006 Cadillac SRX replaced w used engine ran great for1day now engine reduced power

I am so bummed! My SRX had solid miss on cyl DTC P0304. Replaced all plugs, #4 coil pack replaced, injectors all cleaned with #4 replaced.
    Since this vehicle was bought used with no warranty, and that I had looked on here for advise we just accepted that we were most likely dealing with worn piston rings/ cracked head bla bla bla. So we got a used motor,we had some one put it in for us and it ran great for one day.We had CEL false DTC's erased with handheld autoshop computer. CEL went off but came back on with two codes oxy something and Baro low (sorry don't have codes) anyway guy that put engine in said he would check connections but vehicle probably needs to have ECM reset at dealership (meaning SRX is confused). Okay attempted to drive and got engine reduced power message with lowered acceleration. Pulled over with SRX at idle and still got engine reduced power message followed by Oil pressure low...stop engine. Turned car off, waited a few minutes and tried to restart,but no acceleration could be had. By the way car ran and sounds great so we were still going with "ECM is confusing SRX needs a hard reset)Had car towed to our guy who checked sensors and found oxygen sensor at 12 oclock behind engine had came disconnected. He tapped battery cables or something and drove car down the road half mile before the SRX did same old engine reduced power/ no acceleration thing. That shop said they could not reset that it had to go to dealer. My exhubby asked to check car out so next day we got SRX to go half mile to his back yard. He checked all connections. There were no failed sensor readings prior to engine switch so we started thinking. we called place that supplied used motor and picked up our old motor core. We asked it our old engine that got picked up had it's original sensors/ wire harness on it...YEP!!! we were told! So we raced out there ...stripped all original sensors and spent two days in the back yard switching out wire harness plugs, our CLEAN intake off our original motor etc.on the replacement motor block We did not switch out the cam shaft sensors on the block, although I have them. Anyway we noticed the wirehareness on replacement motor was code 0942 and code on old motor was 0940! we were like yep this was the problem ...no wonder the SRX was confused! Car sounded beautiful. Took for test drive to relearn and same engine reduce message came in as we were able to crawl into autostore lot. DTC codes came up a plenty this time: P0036,P0037,P0102,P0700,P2122,P2228,P2544,P2637, B0040,B0242,B0243,B0253.....ugh!!! All friend mechanics listened to engine believe the motor is okay and these are bogus type messages. Again engine sounds good. Now I am about to send to dealership to have ECM reprogrammed but so scared that I will be told multiple things are bad , which were not the situation before engine replaced so I just believe it's gotta me something simple like bad connection or something.PLEASE HELP! I want you honest opinions. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    ......paragraphs?

Way too much was done. No one can help you without proper codes and actually having the car in front of them.

You never even mentioned if this is the 3.6 or 4.6.

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: 2006 Cadillac SRX replaced w used engine ran great for1day now engine reduced pow

There are no B242,3 etc. codes. Did you use your original ECM? The others sound like poor connections or broken/chaffed wires.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

calif phil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: 2006 Cadillac SRX replaced w used engine ran great for1day now engine reduced pow

You changed the engine on an assumption that it was bad? WOW!

Didn't change the engine on " an assumption"...changed it as an educated guess after talking to many many experienced mechanics (conversations per phone after doing the least expensive fixes to correct the original solid sudden miss with zero compression on cylinder 4). It was a combination of said conversations combined with stories on this site that led me to believe that I could either secure a good deal on a replacement motor or pay a mechanic to change this that or the other and still not solve the inevitable need of a replacement motor.
    With that said, I would like opinions suggestions on why I am getting the engine reduced power message. Bad connection, short,App sensor, anti theft system??? By the way, I gave details because they help with solving the enigma...yet even with PARAGRAPHS I still apparently left info out...go figure! It is a 3.6L V6. There are, in fact, B codes:...they had to do with air flow control ...this is a helpful list I came across: http://westersgarage.eidnet.ca/obd2%...le%20codes.pdf . So the car is at the dealership now to have the ECM reprogrammed/ connections checked. Feel free to post what your opinion is...if you have one about the SUV's problem that is....other stuff is just your "assumption" of me...which is just immature and unhelpful. This is suppose to be a forum of useful information. Car trouble is stressful enough without added negative smacktalk...so save that mess for someone else.

Well, it's too late now, but in my studied opinion, there are 2 ways to successfully change an engine in current cars. One is to use the complete donor motor, wiring harness ECM and TCM, probably the EBCM and have a dealer program your VIN to it. Second is to use your existing modules and wiring harness and plug into the sensors on the donor, but you'd need to use your original TB. If you change MY it gets more complicated.

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Thanks glake89. The problem was when the motor was replaced, the wiring harness was the one that came with used motor. Ran great for a day, then engine reduced power message/little then no acceleration when placed in drive. We were set to accept ecm needed reprogrammed for chance that ecm was just confused and it took the day around a bit of driving to finally cause this problem. So we called place that engine came from and asked,"before you took old motor...did mechanic strip old harness and sensors that the car's ecm would readily recognize?" the shop said."No, he did not strip that original stuff.You can come strip off all that stuff( fresh spark plugs,etc) if you want before we melt the core". I raced up there to get all that stuff, some of which was my investment to fix the miss or original engine. Why not use all the stop that was good originally. Originally, I had no DTC sensor codes...at all, just the solid miss on Cylinder #4 which when tested showed ZERO compression. So we get the original stuff stripped and compare wire harness. The codes where different (one read
    0940 and one read 0942). Now we were already told that this engine most likely did not come out of a SRX so we thought it pertinent to not confuse ecm with a different coded wire harness. My ex husband believe this engine to be a 2009 as opposed to a 2006 motor, that theory was because coil packs dated 2009...I don't know the weight that theory has but long story short we dismantled the wire harness that came on replacement engine and secured original SRX wire harness. I am thinking that the wrong coded wire harness fried the ECM ...or there is a short, bad ground somewhere. One code perked my interest ...P2228...baro sensor error code( Causes for it to go out of range are broken wires, disconnected connector, or a bad sensor. Check the voltage to the white/black wire on the connector, It should show 5V) I just saw this info, so I didn't get to try this. Thank you glake89, this is only my second forum post.My first post was regarding the miss. you had commented on that question as well. Your advice is both considerate and mature( no unnessary wise cracks...fact of the matter is, although I don't know cars...I am well educated, non impulsive and also considerate about how I express myself and gain credible information). I very much appreciate your effort to advise me. Just wanted to express this.

If it's an '09 from a different model it could be a real can of worms as pin assignments on ECMs are likely different. Let's hope the dealer can get it working. If not, gather all the info you can on the donor car, including VIN (the scrap yard knows this) and we'll see what we can figure out. I'll help.

Awesome of you. I am just trying to make sense of it. I believe all the details are important. I'll update what dealer's view is of this situation. The ecm on my vehicle seemed to be mine (deducted from from dust marks lol). This is why I thought not using original wireharness, which ECM would recognize, might have caused major code confusion. Anyway, car was driven with that donor harness hooked to my ECM and I bet it just took some driving that day before the SRX's original ECM was confused (improperly relearned something). Good thing is that dealership will be able to assess if the ECM, in fact, is the original or donor ECM for sure with that Hunter Machine/ high tech software. Second good thing is I have donor wire harness and the stuff I stripped from the old motor to include camshaft position sensors.Personally, I don't mind a mental challenge...I am pretty thorough, but I lack mechanical understanding of which years things changed or if something isn't grounded properly.I love to learn and hate to waste money.Some people might get the impression that I jumped into this with blinders, but I did not. I ask lots of questions, research stuff,and asked seasoned mechanics their respected opinions. I am extremely cautious. I don't take advice that can't be backed up, but I am open minded to suggestions because different perspectives can be enlightening. If I have success, then forum readers can benefit and that's the point right?! Thanks again, I'll update when I hear something.

----------

I just happened to google " can 2006 GM 3.6L V6 intake manifold fit 2009 GM 3.6L V6 engine block" and I saw this article.
    http://www.cartruckinfo.com/traverse-timing-chains.html Great 2007-2009 models have problems. Glad I switched 2006 wireharness back! It probably can all be
    reprogrammed properly back to my car's VIN. Hopefully anyway.I think that 2009 wireness confused pins and such.

calif phil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe
    I guess I posted in shock that someone would replace an engine without confirming the old engine was defective. Maybe I jumped to conclusions. A compression check or leak down test would have been a good thing to have done. I wish you the best with your SRX and I hope the dealer finds something simple and gets you on the road soon.

Thank you...and a compression test was done, as mentioned, before replacing engine. Hoping the same as I love the feel of the SRX. It's a comfortable ride.

Okay so here's the update. Dealership was swamped so did not actually even look at my vehicle until late today. The ECM was reprogrammed to clear all the
    bogus codes. Yeah!!! However,two codes remained. I wasn't told the DTC's but was told low volt MAP and low volt Oxygen. He said he will look into later (
    Monday I suppose). I suppose I will research what I might be in store for when he looks at it later.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.