Fuel pump (?) noise - right rear
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Fuel pump (?) noise - right rear in Cadillac SRX Forums; I've recently noticed a noise coming from the rear when one of the right passenger doors are open on my ...
    bendebusk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX

Fuel pump (?) noise - right rear

I've recently noticed a noise coming from the rear when one of the right passenger doors are open on my 2005 V6 SRX. It kind of sounds like a small cigarette-powered air compressor running. Not sure if it's new or if it's been there for awhile and I just haven't noticed. The car runs fine with no warning lights/messages.

If I recall from the build sheet, there is no special air suspension option on this car. Could the noise possibly be an indication that the fuel pump is wearing out? If so, what am I looking at as far as cost?

[Because I'm in Europe, I'm kind of dreading any response I receive!]

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: Fuel pump (?) noise - right rear

Fuel pump is in the tank, and no, you don't want to have to deal with that. Suggestion, keep fuel level above 1/4, pump is cooled by the fuel. Maybe it's related to the LG system, about which we know nothing!
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Thanks, Glake!

I also thought of the LPG angle and wondered if I should have been running the car more often on regular gasoline instead in order to lubricate the fuel pump. May be too late now, since it's making the noise even when I select the regular fuel tank. Wish I'd thought of that sooner!

Unless it was disabled the cars pump should run whenever ignition is in 'run' position.

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

If I were engineering an LPG system, I think I would include a fuel pump shutoff circuit for when it wasn't needed. But I hear the same noise whether the car is running on gasoline or LPG, so I just don't know.

I guess I need to go out to the parking lot and crawl around under the car a bit and try to isolate from where the noise is coming. I miss having a driveway/garage to work in!

All you need to do to see if it's the fuel pump is pull the fuse. When you then turn the ignition switch to 'on' , the pump won't run.

Good easy tip...thanks Glake!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.