2008 SRX locking/unlocking issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2008 SRX locking/unlocking issues in Cadillac SRX Forums; My passenger rear door seems to only lock and unlock after it has been sitting for a while. If I ...
    eddieb_21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

2008 SRX locking/unlocking issues

My passenger rear door seems to only lock and unlock after it has been sitting for a while. If I drive it and then put the car in park all 3 other doors unlock except for that 1. I have checked the fuses and nothing is wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: 2008 SRX locking/unlocking issues

You may have a 'B' DTC which would more closely identify the cause, but since both rear doors go through the same modules the problem is likely in the latch itself. Might just need a little lube.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello eddieb_21,

I apologize you are experiencing this with your rear doors. I am not sure if you are looking to make this repair on your own or work with your dealership. If the dealership route is one that you plan on taking, please reach out via private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership, and I would be happy to assist with setting you up with them.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A. (Assisting)
    Cadillac Customer Care

JayTF1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Some owners have had to replace the door actuator which ceases to fire properly. I've got a similar issue with my rear passenger door, but only when it's 90deg. outside.

As Glake mentioned its only on one side, likely making it a mechanical issue.

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

Amazingly, I have exactly the same issue with my '08 - right rear lock will function a couple of times in a row, then fail to pull all the way up or down. Power is getting to it, you can see and feel it try to move.
    I took it out and wiggled the wiring and pulled the lock up and down many times. It has the same failure mode when just hanging by the wires - works a couple of times when cooled off, but then fails to pop all the way. Allowing it to cool a few minutes gets it to work again for a pass or two.
    Got to be the solenoid in the switch, since both rear doors are wired in parallel, and you can see it's getting power. Tried to take it apart, but the mechanism is riveted together. Bought a used one on Ebay, should be in tomorrow. I'll report results. Not really difficult to replace, but you will probably destroy the moisture barrier liner unless you are very careful. If you want to attack it, I can walk you through the panel removal and lock switch replacement.

DG

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

Just to follow-up; I received and installed the used lock. Works great. I did a little research, and discovered it's pretty common in GM trucks. The culprit seems to be the little motor built into the lock mechanism that runs the lock up and down (not a solenoid as I thought, but a little DC motor). The Chinese-made motors wear and begin to stick after awhile. Can't easily get in to check or clean the motor because the mechanism is riveted together.
    A hint when removing the door panel, be very careful to not tear up the moisture barrier sheet; mine had been off previously to repair a little ding, and it tore up pretty bad when I removed it the 2nd time. Bought a new one from an on-line supplier for $20 and all is new again. part # 15252551 for Rt Rear.

Oh, on a positive note: the door panel design and execution on this car is the best I have ever seen, even beats Mercedes. Materials are really good, there's a quick-disconnect electrical connector, and the push pins are totally reusable. I'm really really impressed. Give that guy a raise.

DG

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.