Octane and the 3.6 V6...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Octane and the 3.6 V6... in Cadillac SRX Forums; does anyone have any experience with using anything but 87 octane gasoline in their 3.6 liter V6 SRX???... before anyone ...
    silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

Octane and the 3.6 V6...

does anyone have any experience with using anything but 87 octane gasoline in their 3.6 liter V6 SRX???...

before anyone mentions it...I understand what octane is and I also am not one of those who believes you need higher octane in an engine that gets no benefit from using the higher octane but...

I have read several threads from a reliable source that using Mid Grade 89 octane in the 3.6 yielded positive results...this source had said he used the optional higher octane gasoline and got somewhat better performance (always subjective) but somewhat better fuel economy (higher numbers)...his is a different GM vehicle but the engine is the same.

this same source along with several here have mentioned that the use of Premium actually yielded worse performance so that is not a consideration for me but I am curious if anyone has tried Mid Grade and what their experience was...care to share???

I'd appreciate your responses...

Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Paul_P is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX 4 V6

Re: Octane and the 3.6 V6...

This is something I have checked with several vehicles. The fact that the gas quality in general is not that great. Premium is ok gas and the rest is debatable. I have found that premium will get a few percent better gas mileage than the cheaper mid and regular grades and the cost per mile is about the same. That being said if you think about it the premium keeps things cleaner and yields the same cost per mile so why not use it. If you check it out yourself and don't see any mpg benefit then you could stay with the cheap stuff.

I have tried Premium in the past on other vehicles not requiring it and have found it to make my car run worse...furthermore...Premium doesn't necessarily have more cleaners in it...especially if you look for Top Tier Gasolines...

thanks for your feedback...I'm hoping for specific information on Mid Grade with our 3.6s if anyone has any experience and cares to share...

Bill

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Don't waste your money. If someone has told you the car "runs better" with higher octane fuel, it's placebo effect. What is "runs better"? Smoother? Octane has ZERO effect on that.

More additives in higher octane fuel? Nope.

More power? More placebo. Unless someone has dyno results or drag strip time slips to prove it... The butt dyno proves nothing, and you won't even be able to feel anything less than a 20-30 WHP gain anyway. Believing a higher octane fuel will provide that is just silly.

Better fuel mileage? Immeasurably small difference if anything at all. Resetting the AVG fuel readout and driving for a while proves nothing, averaging one tank proves nothing. You need several tank fulls, driving under identical conditions, to get a reliable average.

Mid grade is even more pointless than premium. Take the non existent benefit of premium... and half it.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Does the ECU even have a timing map for 93?

Bobanna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 srx V-6, 2002 ESC convertible

Interesting. I, for one, avoid all of the ethanol blends; I'll pay maybe 6% more for unleaded without ethanol, but my data says it yields about a 14% better economy than the "cheaper" ethanol blend. Just my $.02. YRMV. Blessings

SRG963 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX LUX

The gain would be minimal as stated above. Maybe 5whp peak difference on the dyno.

My main reason to upgrade fuel octane is to minimize any knock that may happen.
    (So far, the SRX has been good under all conditions)

That being said, I run nothing but 93+ in my G8, but of course, it's tuned for it.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    The 3.6 would more than likely lose power and mpg as the ecu is tuned for 87.

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    The 3.6 would more than likely lose power and mpg as the ecu is tuned for 87.
    Explain

Since the owners manual states you may see a benefit from mid grade I thought I'd ask...a lot of opinion but no real experience it seems.

Bill

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The only way you'll get a definitive answer is if somebody does several dyno runs with 87, drains the tank, several runs with 89, drains the tank, several runs with 91... Good luck finding someone to spend several hundred dollars on that pointless endeavor.

Well I wasn't asking anything about Premium and stated I think it might even provide less performance...I thought perhaps out of all the people that have the V6, SOMEONE might have tried Mid Grade and could report back their results...if I hadn't just filled up with 87, I would have just tried it out myself...I will, once this tank is empty...

thanks for the responses...

Bill

If the ECU does not know what to do with 89 then it will do nothing with it but treat it like 87 and not advance timing, I think.

So its not the engine that cares it is the ECU controlling the engine that cares if you run 89.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

On the LY7 non-DI it is a waste of $$. If a LLT with 11.3:1 CR or the LFX with 11.5:1 CR it will run fine on 87 as the knock sensors will have the ECU pull timing to compensate. Run 91-93 and power and fuel economy increase as the engine will run at optimum timing advance and peak power/efficiency.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    If the ECU does not know what to do with 89 then it will do nothing with it but treat it like 87 and not advance timing, I think.

So its not the engine that cares it is the ECU controlling the engine that cares if you run 89.
    right...this is from the owner's manual:

For best performance or trailer
    towing, you could choose to use middle grade 89 octane
    unleaded gasoline.

...so isn't it possible that the ECU would recognize the 89 (NOT Premium) Mid Grade and give the SRX the benefits I mentioned...?

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.