Octane and the 3.6 V6... - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Octane and the 3.6 V6... in Cadillac SRX Forums; well...since I've gotten nearly the same mileage from the same type of driving since I bought the SRX and have ...
    silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

Re: Octane and the 3.6 V6...

well...since I've gotten nearly the same mileage from the same type of driving since I bought the SRX and have always used regular unleaded (weather dependent)...IF I tried Mid Grade and my mileage went up, say 2MPG driving just as I have been for a couple tank fuels...that would work for me as being good enough...plus...as stated before, HP isn't the only indicator of performance...

Bill

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    [QUOTE="silversport;12635433"]well...since I've gotten nearly the same mileage from the same type of driving since I bought the SRX and have always used regular unleaded (weather dependent)...IF I tried Mid Grade and my mileage went up, say 2MPG driving just as I have been for a couple tank fuels...that would work for me as being good enough...plus...as stated before, HP isn't the only indicator of performance...

Your engine is better than mine was. If I used 93 I got worse mileage.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by silversport
    HP isn't the only indicator of performance...
    So what exactly do you define as engine performance, if not its power output? (which is what the rest of the world defines it as)

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    So what exactly do you define as engine performance, if not its power output? (which is what the rest of the world defines it as)
    From what I understand hp and performance don't necessarily mean the same thing. Hp gains are different from what the engine is SUPPOSED TO DO FROM THE FACTORY

right...it must be how I'm writing as I haven't tried ANY other gasoline but regular in my SRX...which is why I asked the question here...

next...performance is how the engine runs and behaves and not just peak horsepower...if I got better horsepower but the engine stumbled and coughed, I wouldn't call that better performance...if I got better gas mileage but horsepower stayed the same, wouldn't the motor be performing better...?

Bill

Very true

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    What was your gas mileage before and after and we're they under the EXACT same driving conditions, traffic and weather? Also how can you tell the hp increase without a serious increase in power? I'm pretty sure the slight increase is a placebo effect and you "think" you are getting more power remember butt dyno doesn't count. ?
    We do the testing on eddy current load chassis dyno and log to record KR and power with the different octanes as we are probably one of the few shops that has done the amount of R&D and product development, been involved in most every aspect of the GM 3.6 for years. The LY7 we base the non-DI aspect and the compression ratio to make the "assumption" that there will be no benefits to higher octane, but WILL greatly benefit from top tier fuels additives to keep the intake valves clean.

The DI engines though will have zero use of the additives, but will make more power, run more efficiently, and get better MPG and that we and most other tuners have documented over and over. And it is simple for anyone else to document as long as you have the ability to log what is happening when running....KR means less power, less efficiency, and less MPG due to the engine NOT running constantly at peak timing advance.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

I definitely know about gm knock regard especially when dealing with the modded supercharged 3.8 def a power killer

Irishwhisky1956 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): radiant bronze '08 SRX4

Ethanol is well known to lower MPG between 16 and 22% but here in Mass we can't find anything but the ethanol blend

same here in Illinois...for years...your percentages seem high for the type of ethanol blends round here though...(I recall my brother losing about 10% with E85 in his Chevy Silverado) ...I don't use E85 in my vehicles...

Bill

In a captiva I had as a rental I lost almost 5-6 mpg on e85. Not worth the savings per gallon it's a joke.

well my experiment is nearly over...Shell mid grade, 89 octane and my mileage hasn't changed and may have gone done a touch...I don't think the engine responds as well but that may indeed by a reverse placebo effect ...in any event...not worth .20 a gallon more...

I will share my findings after a few more gallons near the end of this tank but I don't expect any big changes in the last 5 or so...

Bill

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

With the Non DI engine there should be no gains as your test is showing. Good work! Only the DI engines with the much higher compression ratio should.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

thanks for your response and sharing your experience...

Bill

JayTF1 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE
    Thanks for sharing.

Now could someone do this with the 4.6? The wife yells every time I put 91 in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.