Cadillac SRX AWD 4.6 v8 Sport Drive train vibration
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Cadillac SRX AWD 4.6 v8 Sport Drive train vibration in Cadillac SRX Forums; I have a 2008 SRX v8 sport. Love the car, but have a drivetrain vibration that so far no Cadillac ...
    ChefKoepp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Exclamation Cadillac SRX AWD 4.6 v8 Sport Drive train vibration

I have a 2008 SRX v8 sport. Love the car, but have a drivetrain vibration that so far no Cadillac mechanic has figured out. I have replaced the Tranny Mount, and still feeling the vibration slightly in the stick shift, gas pedal and ever so slightly in the steering wheel. I have been told it may be carrier bearing, or the rear differential Flex Disc Coupler. I did have violent movement of the stick shift when breaking and I replaced the rear brake disks and it seemed to eliminate the issue at breaking, but from 40 to 80 I really feel the vibration. I can see the side view mirror blur when driving due to the shaking of the vehicle. I have had new tires put on the car, and also had the road force balance. The vibration seems too fast to be the wheels or half shafts. it is too high a frequency. I do notice many rubber couplings on the drive output shafts and thinking they may be at issue. I need to stop throwing money at the issue. I have had two dealerships diagnose but they just did an undercarriage look, they did not attach any monitors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Paul_P is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX 4 V6

Re: Cadillac SRX AWD 4.6 v8 Sport Drive train vibration

How many miles? What about the propeller shaft support bearing. This may require replacing the drive shaft if a dealer is doing the work.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ChefKoepp View Post
    I have a 2008 SRX v8 sport. Love the car, but have a drivetrain vibration that so far no Cadillac mechanic has figured out. I have replaced the Tranny Mount, and still feeling the vibration slightly in the stick shift, gas pedal and ever so slightly in the steering wheel. I have been told it may be carrier bearing, or the rear differential Flex Disc Coupler. I did have violent movement of the stick shift when breaking and I replaced the rear brake disks and it seemed to eliminate the issue at breaking, but from 40 to 80 I really feel the vibration. I can see the side view mirror blur when driving due to the shaking of the vehicle. I have had new tires put on the car, and also had the road force balance. The vibration seems too fast to be the wheels or half shafts. it is too high a frequency. I do notice many rubber couplings on the drive output shafts and thinking they may be at issue. I need to stop throwing money at the issue. I have had two dealerships diagnose but they just did an undercarriage look, they did not attach any monitors.
    Hello ChefKoepp,

I am very sorry that you are experiencing this vibration issue and I understand how frustrating the lack of a resolution must be. I can see that you are reaching out to the forum for advice, but I would like to offer my assistance should you want to head back to a dealership. Please feel free to PM me and we can discuss this issue further.

Have a great night,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

the car now has 88K miles. I have done the sequence of vibration test at the dealer and their answer is to balance the driveshaft using a radiator hose clamp and moving it around on the shaft till it settles out. I will double check the carrier bearing. Where can I purchase a new driveshaft that is NOT at the dealer. They want 800 for a new one. I also see that the front output shaft has a rubber coupling too. It may be out too I guess. You can not just purchase a new flex disk from the dealer, you have to buy the whole shaft.

----------

I have been now to three different dealerships and no resolution. I'm not going to keep paying for diagnosis when they cant figure it out. It's obviously drive shaft. I have new tires, motor mounts transmission mounts and breaks and rotors too. This is chasing and they should be more expert than that. I have worked with Jeff over at Cable Dahmer in Independence MO. He seems to be the most helpful but I will pay for the fix, but no more paying for diagnosis.

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

A complete and thorough vibration analysis can be a long and expensive proposition. Having said that, here are 2 tests you can do yourself that may help isolate the cause. From the SM-"Accelerate the vehicle to a speed higher than the speed at which the disturbance occurs.
    Important: If the vehicle is equipped with a continuously variable type automatic transmission, let the vehicle coast to a stop before shifting back into gear.

Shift the vehicle into NEUTRAL and allow the vehicle to coast down through the disturbance range.
    Does the disturbance still occur while coasting-down in NEUTRAL?

Go to Step 19

Go to Step 18

Select a smooth, level road and slowly accelerate the vehicle up to the speed at which the disturbance occurs.
    Decelerate and safely downshift by one gear range.
    Operate the vehicle at the same VEHICLE SPEED at which the disturbance occurs.
    Does the same disturbance still occur while going the same vehicle speed in a lower gear range?"

I also note the flex couplers are shown as separate parts in the SM but not in the dealer parts lists. Check out Revshifts' ad (on right side of forum page), they have them.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

We have now replaced both motor mounts, and the vibration is still there. I have been told that maybe the propeller shaft may not have been aligned correctly when reinstalled after the engine was removed. We are going to try to realign the propeller shaft tomorrow.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.