08 SRX Oil Usage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 08 SRX Oil Usage in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hello all, I recently bought a used 08 SRX4 V6 with about 80k miles that is in immaculate condition. I ...
    TravissV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

08 SRX Oil Usage

Hello all,
    I recently bought a used 08 SRX4 V6 with about 80k miles that is in immaculate condition. I seemed to get a more than fair price on it and may have figured out why. I serviced it after about 5k miles and was down to about 3.5 L of oil. I've heard that this may be 'normal' or maybe a better term 'not terribly abnormal'. Has anybody else had the same experience? The vehicle seems to run great and haven't seen as much as a drop of oil in the garage or driveway. I'd love some insight as I would most likely have the opportunity to return it if is was extremely abnormal.
    Thanks,
    Traviss

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 08 SRX Oil Usage

Quote Originally Posted by TravissV View Post
    Hello all,
    I recently bought a used 08 SRX4 V6 with about 80k miles that is in immaculate condition. I seemed to get a more than fair price on it and may have figured out why. I serviced it after about 5k miles and was down to about 3.5 L of oil. I've heard that this may be 'normal' or maybe a better term 'not terribly abnormal'. Has anybody else had the same experience? The vehicle seems to run great and haven't seen as much as a drop of oil in the garage or driveway. I'd love some insight as I would most likely have the opportunity to return it if is was extremely abnormal.
    Thanks,
    Traviss
    Hi Traviss,

Congratulations on the purchase of your SRX. I hope you are enjoying the new ride so far. I can understand how this oil usage would be concerning to you. If you would like to PM me, I’d be happy to further discuss this concern. I look forward to hearing from you.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

rlh6805 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

Welcome to the club!!! You need to check your oil once a week and keep it topped off. The LY7 3.6L V6 that are in our cars uses oil, nothing you can do about it. Poor design by GM that has since been fixed with the newer DI version.

Thanks RLH! I love the vehicle so will most likely put up with this. It seems like people are driving these things for years with no issues other than having to add some oil here and there. I hope this doesn't progress! If you get a chance...I'd love your input on my other post right next to this one regarding road noise. Have a great weekend.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

The STS got the newer DI V6 you mentioned ... It wasn't fixed.

Pinhauler is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 v6 SRX

Next time you buy oil , go with the High Mileage Mobil 1. I think it helps !

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinhauler View Post
    Next time you buy oil , go with the High Mileage Mobil 1. I think it helps !
    That doesn't help man I've tried that. Neither does the Lucas or even goibg with 10w40 high mileage the only thing that stops the oil consumption on these 3.6 motors is to leave the truck in the garage and never drive it. I've got my oil consumption down to 0 since I put mine in storage in January lol
    Irishwhisky1956 likes this.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Snake oil isn't going to help.
    INCORRECT viscosity oil isn't going to help.
    Different oil brands/types aren't going to help.
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

Here's the way I look at it.
    If you drive 1000 miles and get 20 mpg @ 3.50/gal it costs you 175 bucks for gas.
    Another 4 bucks for a quart of oil shouldn't be a big deal other than the inconvenience of having to do it.
    I'd recommend checking oil with each fill-up.

Also if I was consistently adding a quart every thousand miles, I wouldn't do regular oil changes, just change the filter when the indicator is at 0 per cent. Your average oil "age" is always going to be about 3000 miles run.

Quote Originally Posted by nascarnation View Post
    Here's the way I look at it.
    If you drive 1000 miles and get 20 mpg @ 3.50/gal it costs you 175 bucks for gas.
    Another 4 bucks for a quart of oil shouldn't be a big deal other than the inconvenience of having to do it.
    I'd recommend checking oil with each fill-up.

Also if I was consistently adding a quart every thousand miles, I wouldn't do regular oil changes, just change the filter when the indicator is at 0 per cent. Your average oil "age" is always going to be about 3000 miles run.
    Sad part is my 96 ram with 208k uses no oil and my 00 accord with 287k doesn't . Use oil either. Also less repairs too.

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

you are getting 20 MPG with your V6 SRX4???...

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by silversport View Post
    you are getting 20 MPG with your V6 SRX4???...

Bill
    If I saw 21 or 22 on the highway it was a good day

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

On summer tires (Bridgestone Ecopia LRR) with summer gas, and easy on the gas pedal, we regularly get 19 mpg with 20/21 highway.

Winter is more like 16/17.

Wow...where do you live where you get to drive down hill all day?! I think I have gotten 20 with a tailwind!

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

I drive mostly in town or not on the highways and I might get 16...I don't baby the go pedal but I don't drive it like a race car...

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.